Goal Clothes

Options

Replies

• PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Resurrecting this thread because Goal Clothes worked for me in the past.

I had certain items I bought that were a few sizes too small, and I turned them into a mantra. It helped me stick to my plan. I'd be chanting to myself "snap leg jeans, snap leg jeans" or "vinyl skirt, vinyl skirt" when I needed a boost of willpower.

I have some clothing of lower sizes stashed away from the last time I lost a significant amount of weight, but I am also eager to go shopping... I will purchase myself at least one awesome new item for every 20 pounds lost to keep myself motivated as I strive for that first major goal: 100 pounds gone. My new rule is that any clothing I purchase needs to be within one size of where I currently am... it means it's easier for me to get into the clothing, so I get to enjoy the reward faster. I've already made it into a pair of capri jeans I couldn't button and zip in July! :)
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of goal clothes that I would hang up on the back of my bedroom door, and when the day came that they fit me, or were too big...it was amazing! I highly recommend goal clothes! It's worth it! :)
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    WHen i got within 10 lb of my goal i bought jeans that would fit after 5 more lb lost. If i had bought inspiration clothes sooner i would have been discouraged!
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I kept a TON of my old clothes & when I finally fit back into them...yeah, best feeling evAr.

Highly recommend!
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yep...I have a pair of True Religions..size 32 and I'm working to get into! I WILL SUCCEED! Keep going...you will too :)
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    a ver very slinky LBD!!! woot, wanna rock it for Christmas party
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Most of my clothes are goal clothes lol

Haha, me too. I'd like to find out what my goal weight would be in size, and then buy something to aim for. Any help?
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have bought a few things that Im holding on to (instead of returning) and its motivational.

One thing was a pair of shorts from Wal-mart. I dont wear shorts often so I dont care if they are from there. I tried them on in my current size. They do not fit AT ALL. I was heartbroken. I went back and tried on shorts in the same size and they fit perfect. Turns out, the first pair is a good 2 inches smaller than the new ones. Same brand, same size, same cut. I am DETERMINED to make those effers fit and then get loose.
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I do! About 30 lbs ago (heavier) I had a closet full of clothes I didn't fit into... So I organized them from best to worst fitting (ie can't get them past my knees), each month since then I have sorted through them, tried them on etc... it has been such a great tool for motivation. Since starting crossfit / heavy weight training my weight loss has really stalled (4lbs as reflected on my ticker)... BUT I have gone from a size 12/13 to a solid 8 in my closet, even getting into some 6's. I can now fit into all but 3 pairs of my pants... and I have donated all the stuff that I am too small for now....

So moral of the story... this approach really worked for me... it may be something to consider if you prefer a non-scale oriented goal!
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of jeans I purchased about 6 years ago from the limited, Cassidy cut, 12L. I really wanna get in them pants! They were $89.50 and well worth it! When I get into those pants, im going to take a picture and post it on here!
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a box of them! My reward when I reach my goal is to open them and wear them again. Luckily, they are classic styles so they never go out of style :)
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i have always wanted a superdry jacket but like lots of designer clothes their size XL was tiny, one of my goals was to fit into one and i did it :-) well chuffed with my new jacket lol
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes! It's my favorite way to measure progress. The scale is nice, the tape measure is nice, but nothing feels as good as fitting into a bit of clothing that you couldn't wear a short time ago. Which reminds me- I need another goal skirt since the first one now fits :D
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had clothes in my closet that I fit into when I was 18 (I'm now 29) that I never got rid of. Now I recently went through my closet and took out everything that was too big. Well if I had really done that I would have nothing left, but had to settle for the ones that didn't look to awful, lol. My "goal clothes" are now what I had to settle for or have nothing. Never did I think I would surpass my goal, but I have and am now working on toning. Always moving forward. I'm not going to go buy new clothes until I get where I want to be because frankly it is just too expensive, but the motivation will help you and when you see your favorite coveted clothes now falling off, you have no idea the pride that will well up inside you.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I had old clothes in varying sizes all around the house as I had gone from a UK size 10 up to a 16 within 4 years. I sorted through them last weekend and so now I have 3 bags waiting -

Size 14 - I am only allowed to go into this bag and try stuff when I dip under 168 - 4lbs to go
    Size 12s and 10s - this bag will be opened when I dip below 154
    Holiday clothes - I'm going to Egypt in March 2013 and so in February nexy year (to give me time to shop if I REALLY have to) I'll be dipping in and seeing which sundresses, shorts, skimpy tops and bikinis fit me.

I know if I continually try on clothes I'll get disheartened - this way when I hit one of my mini weight goals I then get to see how my body shape is doing as well :)
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    YEP!
    And every week I try them on, and I am closer and closer to fitting in them.

I did the same. Now they are too big, so i had to go and buy some size 12 jeans.
    Still a bit tight on the thighs, but no muffin top.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I had old clothes in varying sizes all around the house as I had gone from a UK size 10 up to a 16 within 4 years. I sorted through them last weekend and so now I have 3 bags waiting -

Size 14 - I am only allowed to go into this bag and try stuff when I dip under 168 - 4lbs to go
    Size 12s and 10s - this bag will be opened when I dip below 154
    Holiday clothes - I'm going to Egypt in March 2013 and so in February nexy year (to give me time to shop if I REALLY have to) I'll be dipping in and seeing which sundresses, shorts, skimpy tops and bikinis fit me.

I know if I continually try on clothes I'll get disheartened - this way when I hit one of my mini weight goals I then get to see how my body shape is doing as well :)

I like the idea, but what if you gain muscle instead of going down in weight, and by the time you open the bag its all too big?

Have u considered just having 1 size 14 outfit to try on each week? Then you can gauge how it starts to fit better each week and ue that as positive reinforcement.

( btw way to go)
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    I did the same with my clothes. I organized them according to size. Once a month I tried them on. My only regrets are some clothes were seasonal and the season came and they were too big.The other regret I have was I donated a pair of skinny jeans about a year ago because they just wouldn't fit. Sadly now they would.

On a happy note my husband had promised new clothes when I lost a total of 50 pounds. We went shopping out of town to my favorite store and I fell in love with and he bought 9 new items for me.I bought a slim skirt ,slim pants, and a few things in small . I had been wearing xl .and l in this store.

So I am feeling glorious since I am just 4.5 pounds from my UGW. It has taken me 2 years to lose ,:love: so far, 53 pounds. so, if at 66 I can do it-anyone can!!!!!!!!!1
  • trtmom
    trtmom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Most of my clothes are goal clothes lol

Mine too!
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i want to be in a solid size 4. pants. i currently wear a 6-8 depending on the brand. i also want to be able to wear the fitted red dress i bought without all the lumps and bumps showing.