Working out by myself

Options
Here's my problem.

I feel uncomfortable working out by myself. I don't know why...but if I walk with my friend or go to the gym with my husband I'm fine, but if I go by myself I feel weird. Maybe because I'm thinking about it, I don't know.

With that being said, and it is to no fault of my friend or my husband, I haven't exercised since last Thursday...because I don't have any one to go with.

My husband doesn't like working out, and it seems like every other day he makes excuses for me...becuase he's making them for him. His stomach hurts, or he's tired, or he just did something, or whatever the case may be. So then he tells me to go the gym in the neighborhood instead, but why the heck do we pay for a gym membership for TWO people if he doesn't want to go?

-sighs- I know I just need to get over it, and just do it. I know it's my health, not theirs. I know it's my responsibility to make myself exercise, not make other people suffer with me, but is it so bad that I want to make someone else go through what I'm going through? Probably.

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I live alone, have NO family within 400 miles, but I do have a lot of friends, none of which want to work out with me. So I do all of my workouts alone.

I walk everyday, I workout in my living room. Basically, I do it all alone. It's not so bad once you get used to it!
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Start small! I was intimidated by the gym at first, and didn't want to look foolish having to read how to use the machines or wind up doing some activity incorrectly in front of everyone.
    What I wound up doing was convincing myself that I didn't care how the gym was "supposed" to be used and I would just come in and do the workout I was familiar and comfortable with (the rowing machine, for me). This slowly expanded into getting a full use out of the gym, and now I can't wait to go each day
    Good luck!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer classes? Perhaps you could go and make new friends who do go.

I started going alone, but I have made some new friends who I look forward to seeing at the gym. Not sure what your workout is like, but bring something you enjoy if you can... when I did a lot of cardio I always brought my kindle and was so engrossed in reading it was like I was my own island. ;) I have a binder that I use to track my progress with weights now, and I feel like that is my friend. I always go over to it between sets and check stuff, etc.
  • karentcampbell
    karentcampbell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to feel so self conscious about any thing involving working out. So I started doing at home workout videos, I am pretty Disciplined so it worked for me. Now I do Zumba and I am in the front of the class working my little legs off. Start with what you can do then as you gain confidence you won't feel so strange. By the way I tried to get my husband to work out with me but he really didn't want to, I also felt like if I was going to suffer someone else should too. However in the end you have to make your own choices. Good luck!
  • Biomisty
    Biomisty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not at all! Having others to work out makes it go by faster and it is much more entertaining. I have a friend I walk with, one I run with, and one I do dance classes with. It really helps esp. in the dance class to go with a buddy and eventually you will make more in the class so you don't feel alone when you go. Alas... there will be days when you have to go by yourself... JUST DO IT. But work at getting others involved. Its actually not torture it's good for their health also! Oh and try audiobooks or music helps me.
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    hauer01: I think I'll get used to it eventually, just started working out 2 weeks ago.

ril0riley: That may work. I pretty much stick with the treadmill right now, and maybe the leg exercises.

karentcampbel: Exactly! That's what husbands are for, right?

woodsygirl: They don't offer classes at my gym, sadly. I did try yoga at a different location, and the people were nice there...it wasn't too super awkward for me. Maybe I should bring a book, that may work. They have TVs, so I could just watch TV while I'm on the treadmill...perhaps just go and watch TV. I supposed I /should/ bring my book for school and read that, but I'm worried I'll associate the gym with having to do homework, boo.

Biomisty: My husband ends up pushing it off because he's so skinny he doesn't need to lose weight. Though it's still healthier if he exercises. I need to just be like 'Go. Don't think. Just go.'
  • cldwyer150
    Options
    I work out twice a week with a friend and the other times on my own either as part of a class or by myself circuit training. I like this balance because some times I don't feel like being social when I work out.

My work out time is the time that I can be selfish and only think about myself and what am accomplishing for me. My weight loss and fitness is my accomplishment and my success - I don't have to share the glory with anyone else. I can forget about the kids, the husband and work and just be in the moment.

My suggestion is to exercise with friends when possible and enjoy those times when you are doing it alone. Be your own best friend!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i bet you probably don't walk in with a plan, right? i'm sure most of the time when you walk into the gym, you're thinking "ok, i'll go on the treadmill a bit and then hit the weight machines, whatever are free."

you need to have a plan, whether it is one you make, or find on the web.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    *shrug* loneliness is the human condition?

I've done this whole weight loss journey by myself. If I can do it, you can do it! ;) good luck!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Try books on tape while you work out. I ran three miles listening to anderson cooper's autobiography yesterday.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Working out does suck when you're by yourself. I hate it. I just remember though who I'm losing the weight for. I want to become healthier for myself FIRST, then my neice/nephew, boyfriend, family, friends, etc. Sometimes knowing I want it for me, I can push through. If I go to the gym and do ellipticals, I'll turn on my netflix on my phone and plug in my headphones. that helps distract me from where I am. (I got the idea of working out with movies adn tv when I was a kid. my dad got a treadmil for his birthday one year and joked around that i could only watch tv if i was on it walking/running/whatever (as long as it was moving) and then he got mad because i spent al lmy time watching tv and walking the treadmil, which happened to be in his office).

I think over time you'll get use to doing it on your own. You can't let anyone else hold you back from your dreams.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say is you need to dig deep and (in the nicest way possible) get over that feeling. You can't let having others around or not around dictate the course of your quest for a healthier lifestyle.

I hate running by myself. That first mile is painful physically and mentally. It is so much easier to do it with my hubby but running is not his first love. Everyday I have to push through it and get it done. After I'm finished I'm on top of the world. I feel like I've really accomplished something. If you keep going it will become a habit and not working out won't be an option anymore. Good luck!
  • TiMoPhat
    TiMoPhat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I began working out with a friend in graduate school and He was like my trainer. I lost a decent amount of weight as well since we were pushing each other. But since he lived in another country , I knew after graduation I would be left alone to find a new gym and workout alone. So since I had a routine and also knew how to switch up my routine it was easy to go in the gym and focus and do my routine without my friend. And I continued to lose weight alone. From that point on, I knew for sure that I had the will power to push myself and lose weight myself. So NO MORE TRAINERS for me!!! It forced me to learn my body and truly motivate and push myself. It feels good when you know you can lose weight yourself. Some tips:

-Take a class at your gym. That will either help you meet other people or just add to the variety of your workout. I take Spin class and I now know my instructors well as well as other folks at the gym.

-Get a good workout playlist on your ipod. Having my workout music helps because it puts me in a zone and im not really focused on other folks. Plus good tunes get your moving.

-Don't be afraid to be a risk taker. Try new machines and it will help mix up your workout as well as get you more famililar with a new piece of equipment. Also at my gym there are trainers and help walking around to help you on a machine if you have never used it. At least you will know that you are using the machine correctly for a good burn!!!

-And last but not least, have a plan and schedule for your work. If you have a plan its easy to go to the gym and just execute. I have gotten a little more flexible with my workout regiment. But I integrate workout videos at home along with classes at the gym and weights. With that, I am doing things at home and at the gym.

Hope this helps!!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out on my own at home I crank the volume of my music up :smile:
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    you should definitely give the classes another go, there's probably lots of other people there in the same boat x
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have found some of my good friends by going to group fitness classes. We motivate each other at the gym AND we get together outside the gym too. It is nice to have grown up friends here in my town. LOL
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way...I think maybe because I'm not really comfortable with the gym. I mean really, I almost fell down the stairs after using the treadmill yesterday (oh, right, that's why I never got into using that machine). I have a plan but I still get nervous and don't want to go...once I'm there, I'm slightly less nervous and I just do it. I use everything I can to motivate myself. I've promised myself an HRM after 30 workouts (yesterday was #27), signed up for GymPact so I have to go to the gym or pay up, signed up for Earndit so I can earn free stuff and got on HabitForge even though I don't really know what the point of that one is lol.

Make it a goal just to get in the door...it's easier once you're there. Or tell yourself that you can go to the gym or go for a half hour walk or something. For me, if I do it that way, I'll end up doing one or the other so it's better than nothing.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    i bet you probably don't walk in with a plan, right? i'm sure most of the time when you walk into the gym, you're thinking "ok, i'll go on the treadmill a bit and then hit the weight machines, whatever are free."

you need to have a plan, whether it is one you make, or find on the web.

This is the best advice here.

Make a plan. For every workout, for the next 2 months. Stick to your plan. You'll feel more comfortable in no time. And please, please, please don't bring a book to read. You simply cannot work hard enough if you're not focused on working hard.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't hate working out alone however I feel myself making more excuses to not do it when Im alone because nobody else would know but me. Due to my need for accountability, I've joined plenty of group fitness classes at my gym. Maybe that's something you can do that way you'll always have someone to work out with. Hope this idea helps you!
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    cldwyer150: True. I'm never really alone, because I work with people, and then whenever I'm home my husband is home. I suppose I could enjoy the alone time

Captain_Apoll: My husband was going to start me on a workout plan, but that fell through. Don't really know. We did it one day, but nothing since then. It's a good idea.

chancellork: Thanks!

csplatt: An audio book may work. Focus on the words, not on the numbers on the treadmill and how much my legs are hurting

KrazyAsianNic: We don't have cable at home, however, if we had that rule for the internet I would be super skinny!

josette31: Sometimes being blunt is the best policy. I do feel accomplished when I'm done...tired, but accomplished.

TiMoPhat: My gym doesn't offer classes, though I do have two free training sessions... I should probably use those and speak with the trainer about their recommendations. The playlist idea could work, they say music moves you.

Fozzi43: Gotta love music!

Chrissie_R: I probably will. We had a schedule conflict to go to the Yoga class last week...maybe I'll go tonight, they have a class at 7:15

Lyerin: I need grown-up friends in my town. The only people I know are co-workers.