excercise calories on MPF

Options
is it me, or does anyone else think that the calories that mpf gives you for exercises are too many? i just dont see losing idk 300 calories during 30 minute WALK? or am i wrong?

Replies

• denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    MY HRM confirmed that my calorie burn is nowhere near what MFP thinks it is. Using a heart rate monitor is a few better estimate.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For a walk/run/cycle I prefer to use "map my run" or similar... they do it based on route and are far more conservative.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP is a "guesstimate" .... MFP can't know your exertion level (which largely depends upon how fit you are). Heart rate monitors try to measure this based upon your heart rate. You will find many machines are way off too. When eating back exercise calories (if that's how you are set up) ... be conservative if using MFP data......
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    pretty sure it's just you. i've never heard anyone complain about the estimated calories from MFP. not ever
  • teejay2039
    Options
    pretty sure it's just you. i've never heard anyone complain about the estimated calories from MFP. not ever

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • teejay2039
    Options
    for the record, I bought a HRM after I saw what MFP said I was burning. :D
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor. I have found certain things to be over estimated and some to be under. MFP can't tell if your walking or running hills or flats or what exactly your rate of exertion really is. It's hilly where I run so my calories are actually much higher than what MFP was giving me. If you can afford to invest in a HRM its a great tool.
  • regularjoan
    Options
    o no.... o no. oooooh, NO.
    so this is why I've only lost 0.8lbs in the last 9 days?
    I've been sweating away on Wii tennis late at night to make
    up for over-eating during the day. lol.
    alrighty, time to get serious about this and NOT just try to back
    into it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    In most cases, they are definitely overestimates, just like the calorie burns you'd get from a cardio machine. If you're planning to eat them back, I'd edit the number when you log your exercise and go with 1/2 to 2/3rds of what MFP gives you.

Best bet though, as others have stated, is to get yourself a good HRM. They can be pricey but definitely worth the investment (like buying a good pair of running shoes).
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    In most cases, they are definitely overestimates, just like the calorie burns you'd get from a cardio machine. If you're planning to eat them back, I'd edit the number when you log your exercise and go with 1/2 to 2/3rds of what MFP gives you.

Best bet though, as others have stated, is to get yourself a good HRM. They can be pricey but definitely worth the investment (like buying a good pair of running shoes).

WHATTTTT???!!! ALLLL this time i thought the cardio machines at the Y were the MOST accurate! :( ok well like for the jillian michaels 30 day shred i only give myself 100 cal burn....fair? i think so...and i dont plan on eating them back! :)