Eating Less amounts more times daily

Options

Replies

• dani_alaine
    Options
    I get bored here at work and find that a light snack every 2-3 hrs. keeps me from binging at meal time.

She said it! This is exactly what I do and why I do it. On the weekend however I mostly do the 3 meals a day thing. It works out for me.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    So what's the deal about eating less, maybe 300 calories every 3-4 hours? Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I've read this somewhere before.

I like to eat my meals this way (though I've been lax about it lately) because I take Metformin for insulin resistance and eating at regular intervals works better for controlling blood sugar levels. If I'm not careful, the Metformin can cause episodes of hypoglycemia. Other than that, I can't tell you if it has any other health benefits or not.
  • bigblu89
    bigblu89 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Most days, I eat...

Breakfast (usually egg whites with a 1/4 cup of diced ham and a 1/2 cup of peppers) around 8am

A snack (FiberOne bar) around 10:30

Lunch (Low Sodium Turkey on a Whole wheat flat and a piece of fruit) at 1

Another snack (usually a fat free yogurt) at 3:30

Dinner (Some sort of lean protien cut into a salad) at 6.

Another snack (piece of fruit) at either 7:30 or 8:30, depending on when I do my evening workout.

It may not work for all, but it works for me.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You can split up your meals however you want. I find it works better for me to make sure that I am at least consistent about time of day and rough amount of calories at those times each day, but that is probably more habit at this point than anything else. Some people have metabolic issues that dictate their meal frequency. I would never tell a diabetic or hypoglycemic that they could only eat three meals a day as that could be catastrophic for them. Some people couldn't possible fit multiple snacks in through the day and it would be horribly frustrating. Find what works best for your appetite, your activities and your compliance and stick with that. No problem trying out a few different strategies, but no meal timing strategy is going to be a magic bullet that melts 20 pounds overnight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    The six times a day eating (or 4+ etc.) craze has been proven not to have any difference over eating once a day.

What is your source? link? Eating often increases your metabolism, that's why they say to eat breakfast to break the fast your body is doing and jumpstart your metabolism for the day.

I eat four 400 calories meals a day, snack being the fourth meal split up into 4 parts.

Links to a whole bunch of studies that show eating frequency has no effect on overall metabolism can be found http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency?hl=compliation+meal+frequency
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The six times a day eating (or 4+ etc.) craze has been proven not to have any difference over eating once a day.

What is your source? link? Eating often increases your metabolism, that's why they say to eat breakfast to break the fast your body is doing and jumpstart your metabolism for the day.

I eat four 400 calories meals a day, snack being the fourth meal split up into 4 parts.

Also note previous replies in this thread with links to research that refutes the idea that meal frequency effects diet induced thermogenesis.

While there is no apparent effect on metabolism or physiology - I do this and I believe there might be a psychological factor - "I know I'll eat in a few hours, I can keep it light and not go whole hog." I feel satiated more easily after a few weeks and at work, where sometime I cannot do this, I end up choosing poorly in the cafeteria, because I'm hungrier.
    We possibly under-estimate the satiation effects.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options

Also note previous replies in this thread with links to research that refutes the idea that meal frequency effects diet induced thermogenesis.

While there is no apparent effect on metabolism or physiology - I do this and I believe there might be a psychological factor - "I know I'll eat in a few hours, I can keep it light and not go whole hog." I feel satiated more easily after a few weeks and at work, where sometime I cannot do this, I end up choosing poorly in the cafeteria, because I'm hungrier.

Satiation effects are purely personal. I am not satisfied with many small meals eating the same total calories for the day. I get grumpy and never feel satisfied or full. You seem to be the exact opposite. The point is this, do what works for your mental balance, but stop thinking that meal frequency has anything to do with how fast your metabolism goes. It doesn't and there are more than enough studies to show that.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Satiation effects are purely personal. I am not satisfied with many small meals eating the same total calories for the day. I get grumpy and never feel satisfied or full. You seem to be the exact opposite. The point is this, do what works for your mental balance, but stop thinking that meal frequency has anything to do with how fast your metabolism goes. It doesn't and there are more than enough studies to show that.

This pretty much nails it!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Satiety and personal preference should rank at or very near the top of the list for darn near everything when dieting.

Exactly.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I find that I'm more comfortable eating 5-6 times per day vs. a few large meals. Simply from a digestion standpoint. I usually have snack pre & post workout. You have to see what works for you. If condensed my meals from 6 to 3 I think I'd be too sleepy and full to do much.
  • stewarm01
    stewarm01 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Once again, thanks for all the input. Y'all (sorry Texas in me) are wonderful.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    eating 4-6 smaller meals a day is good especially if you want to lose fat. you want to keep your bodies metabolic rate up so you can burn the fat.

if you schedule allows it i highly recommend it. i've had my biggest weight loss success eating this way.

the only downside i find to this method is once your body gets use to these feedings your body wants that food like clockwork and if you have a day where you schedule wont allow it the hunger pains are awful
  • mmapags
    Options
    eating 4-6 smaller meals a day is good especially if you want to lose fat. you want to keep your bodies metabolic rate up so you can burn the fat.

Did you even read the rest of the thread?? The links?? Any of it?? Eating has no effect on metabolism. None. Nada, Zip, Zilch. You can't eat your way to weight loss by eating more often.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

Did you even read the rest of the thread?? The links?? Any of it?? Eating has no effect on metabolism. None. Nada, Zip, Zilch. You can't eat your way to weight loss by eating more often.

first of all the greatest thing i ever did was see a dietician/nutritionist and she seems to agree with what i said...

second i said nothing about losing weight i said losing fat and there is a big difference between fat loss and weight loss

the method of 4-6 smaller meals is what body builder use to look the way they look
  • psarah
    psarah Posts: 84
    Options
    I have.. I eat about 150 cal every two hours, with my biggest meal at dinner. I'm eating higher protein. I have been having great success doing this becuase it keeps my sugar level throughout the day and I feel more energized. It may not work for everyone but I have been losing about 2 lbs a week.
  • mmapags
    Options

first of all the greatest thing i ever did was see a dietician/nutritionist and she seems to agree with what i said...

second i said nothing about losing weight i said losing fat and there is a big difference between fat loss and weight loss

the method of 4-6 smaller meals is what body builder use to look the way they look

So, in other words, no. And all you offer as new information is an unknown dietician/ nutritionist that "seems" to agree with you and some anecdotal info about bodybuilders?? You can't eat your way to fat loss or weight loss. Try going back to the start of the thread and following it through and reading the links. Or are you one of those people who don't want to be confused by the facts as you've got your mind made up??
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Oh boy!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

Unfortunately, a lot of body builders believe in myths. Look up lean gains and you will see plenty of people gaining muscle while eating within a short window period.
  • porscheparcher
    Options
    You'll want to eat 5 times a day to keep your metabolism up and running effectively to lose weight! I'm here if you need anything. Just ask, I can help :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I like to listen to the theme song to The Benny Hill Show when reading this thread.