Feeling "pretty" at the gym

Options
Guys can look pretty too! :P

But... This is about how I am discovering some self-confidence in myself by looking completely natural.

Confession: I was one of those girls that would wear make-up to the gym, not quite to "glam-out" just to work-out, but more out of laziness from not wanting to take the extra time to remove my make-up before doing cardio. Not to mention, I was made to feel like a leper from due to some health conditions impacted my physical appearance drastically. Wanted to look normal.

It also became such a habit to wear false eye-lashes (as mine fell out due to medications/ health condition/reason) and I would also have to wear wigshair-pieces or hats to cover up bald patches as another side-effect. I guess I got used to the glammed-out look, as it used to take so much to make me look like a healthy human being.

As I got healthier, I found that I still abhored how I would look without make-up. An old guy-friend once admitted that he liked girls that were natural. But said that I look better with make-up on. I still don't feel completely confident without it...

But the gym has made me feel more at ease. My trainer even took me aside and mentioned how beautiful she thought I was minus all the glam. It really meant a lot to me. This forum has helped me also to realize that most people aren't really concerned with how you look at the gym - since you are there to break a sweat. They don't care.

It's a nice feeling. :)

Hope it lasts.

Replies

• PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out I'm rarely looking at the girls face cause that's just awkward, I'm admiring their hard work! lol that's why we do it right? haha jk But keep that confidence up, keep progressing, and eventually you will OWN that gym and not need any makeup at the gym ever again!
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I did a one week no make up challenge last year, and I felt similar. I found it hard to go out in public without at least mascara on- I'm naturally blonde and have light eyelashes! The first few days were the hardest, I felt like I looked horrible. But then towards the end I though.. Hey- People are still treating me the same, no one has said anything except my eyes look bluer!

Needless to say, I now take breaks from it all the time. I spend a few days a week make up free, and try to keep the real dress up for special occasions!

To each their own and all, but in all seriousness most of us don't look as bad as we think without it! <3
  • miss_grad
    miss_grad Posts: 102
    Options
    @PHILLY, Haha, thank you! You're awesome. :)

@Lindseyeelizab: Congrats on the challenge!

The first couple times I did it, I wanted to crawl into a hole and hide, lol. But it has gotten easier over time. It's also nice because I don't have to spend forever getting ready in the mornings. Aaaand, I can hit the gym a lot harder without worrying about the make-up.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The gym is the ultimate confidence builder, in every way.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i really like caked on makeup...bring our her *kitten*...i mean no yea that's what i meant.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    i really like caked on makeup...bring our her *kitten*...i mean no yea that's what i meant.

You're referring to a certain someone from today aren't you? Lol
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup maybe once a week. I work 24's and at my job I get wet and dirty, so I don't wear anything to work. Then when I get off work in the morning, I shower and get into something comfy for the rest of the day (again no makeup). Occasionally, I will wear makeup the next day but most of the time I just skip it because I go right back to work the next morning.

My point is I'm actually pretty used to how I look without makeup, but the older I get, the more I notice myself looking tired and plain. I sometimes wish I had a job where I could dress up and look beautiful... the grass is always greener :)

I'm sure you're lovely without makeup.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! So happy to hear you're happy healthy, and confident!

Make up is great, but I feel we can use it as a mask sometimes. We hide behind it, because it provides a false sense of security. Truthfully though, we're only hiding our natural beauty.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i usually always say...i dont go to the gym to look sexy i go to the gym to get sexy!!!! lol :)
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

You're referring to a certain someone from today aren't you? Lol
    i wasn't but hahah yea she is more pleasing to look down below :P
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options

Make up is great, but I feel we can use it as a mask sometimes. We hide behind it, because it provides a false sense of security. Truthfully though, we're only hiding our natural beauty.

So true!!! And what a great thread, I regularly go without makeup in the summer... but winter leaves me looking like a vampire! :) I never bothered at the gym though, cuz sweat just makes everything too messy, and I'm there to sweat!
  • wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    If you still look pretty at the end of your workout... you're doing something wrong!! LOL

I go to the gym after work, and yes, I'm lazy and leave my (minimal) makeup on....... but, by the end of one of my heavy lifting workouts... My previously straightened hair is a dishevelled mess, my makeup is smudged and runny....
    BUT..... Damn it, I just did a full set of Dead's with 110% of my own dang body weight!! To hell with the makeup........ I AM WARRIOR PRINCESS!! LOL

Then I go home and shower, sleep and start all over again.
    The End
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    we are nice at the gym, it's a great place to get motivated.

hot eye candy like yourself is just icing on cake

Thanks for showing up
  • miss_grad
    miss_grad Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive vibes, guys! :)

kayt6689: That's a great quote -- I'm stealing it !

lisamtallman0: That's how I feel about it now, haha. I feel like a beast after getting an intense work-out in. Feels awesome.

wjranch: YEAH! After my strength training work-outs, I am in this... Pumped "GRRR" mode. Think it has to do with all of those happy chemicals that exercise helps with?

blakejohn: Hahah. Don't know about the eye candy thing. But it is definitely motivating to see other people who are ripped or just doing their thing.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

^ this.

i think you'll find most of us (i.e., men) agree. pretty is pretty, with or without makeup. pretty is more than just a woman's looks too. it's her smile, the gleam in her eye, her personality, her laughter, how she treats others, etc. there's alot to it and makeup really isn't part of the equation in any meaningful way.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    That's nice. =) You are pretty, and should feel like it!

I bought workout clothes for the first time and now feel fancy at the gym with my snazzy running shorts.
  • CjsWifey
    Options
    If you still look pretty at the end of your workout... you're doing something wrong!! LOL

Ha ha I agree... I go first thing in the Am, no time to even put make up on. I see some girls at the gym that come in looking like they are about to go out to a club, Hair all did, make-up caked on, and clothes to match.. I am not at the gym to impress anyone, I am there to do my work out and go home.. Also, Sweating with a bunch of makeup on your face can't be good for it! I say stay natural, it's not a fashion contest its a gym!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Sometimes I feel frumpy without makeup, but most of the time I feel...liberated :) It's nice to not feel obligated to put it on every day. Even if you are wearing makeup in your profile pic, I find it very hard to believe that you would look terrible without it. You have a pretty face!
  • jwilson3787
    Options
    You are gorgeous girl!! I'm happy that you kind see your true beauty!!
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i usually always say...i dont go to the gym to look sexy i go to the gym to get sexy!!!! lol :)

:heart: LOVE IT!!! Me too! :bigsmile: