Stopping exercise, maybe? Physical issue...Any PT's, Dr's?

Options
A while ago, I wrote here about a problem I've been having. It's some pain I have in the abdomen area. I went to the doctor, and after blood work, CT scans, Xrays, Ultrasound, and other things, everything comes up clean. So, from a medical point of view, nothing is wrong with me. But, I still have pain. My doctor recomended that I stop exercising for a while. Basically, he said, if the pain goes away, then you know that's what it was. He had a funny theory about what it might be, but that doesn't matter.

So, of course, I ignored him. But, I think he was right, but for a different reason. I am in pain daily and it sucks. I still do pretty heavy workouts and eat well. But, I have been doing research and I think I figured out what might have happened, or whats going on. I think my ab muscles, up where they attach, under my rib cage, have been stressed and have pulled or been damaged somehow. It is painful. And, I stopped doing ab work, but everything uses core. It doesn't matter what exercise I do, it uses core. you can't really avoid that.

For now, I am thinking that I am going to stop working out for a while. I am thinking 30 days to start, just to see if it makes a difference. If so, then stay away from exercise longer to make sure I heal. I know pulled tendons or ligaments can take a long time to heal, especially since I've been abusing it so much (meaning that while it's been hurting, I've been working my butt off). I am thinking that probably 3 to 4 months of little to no activity, if I am correct about what has happened. And, then build back up slowly and lightly.

Don't get me wrong, this is a really hard decision. I feel like I am in the best shape of my life. I am strong and I am doing things at 47 that I couldn't do at 27. I hate to give it up, but I am afraid that I might do some permenant damage. I will have to lower my cals significantly, BOO. And, I'll just have to settle for being skinny fat until I can get up and around.

I think I can walk for activity. And, I remember my doctor saying that biking, like on a beach cruiser, would be OK. But, not much else.

Before I decide, and I haven't made up my mind yet, I wanted to hear some thoughts on this. Remember, it could or could not be what I am thinking. I think within 30 days, I should start feeling better and that will tell me if it's that or not. I figure at least, it's a way to rule out another thing. According to several doctors, there's nothing wrong with me. So, that's why I think it's probably just pulled ab muscles or something. But, it's driving me crazy. it's hard to sit upright all day.

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not sure at all what this is but I think you're going about it the right way. When I have a serious pull/tear, I think in terms of 3 to 6 weeks of resting it, then working around it, then doing light work with it.

Take the time off, don't rush back, and when you do get back take it easy at first.

No MRI?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Since it would seem you've covered all your basis with your Doctor ...then your body is telling you it needs a break!! Take a month off, enjoy some walking, hiking and biking. Let your body heal and revisit your fitness goals in 30 days.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I think you'll know in less than 30 days if it's making a difference.

Walk, ride a bike, take a break. See if it helps.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Buddy... I am so sorry to hear that. With as happy as you have been with your hotness... that just sucks.

Did you have an MRI?...May not be able to see....

But I think time off is a good plan. Maybe talk to a physical therapist and a good trainer... See if there is something you can do to not engage your core....
    You don't want to lose all the progress you have made.

Im here for ya!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. No MRI. My medical coverage is crap. Did a CT scan though.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    have you tried a lot of stretching and mobility work?

I'm no DR, and certainly not an expert, but tight muscles or immoble areas can really lead to some serious pain in different areas.

If you want to keep weight training and feel like trying some stuff, maybe look into some work on your psoas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sSUsJ-bTY
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel is right, but never feel bad about getting a second opinion. Not every Doctor has the answers and sometimes you need to fight to find the answers you want.
  • neverstray
    Options
    have you tried a lot of stretching and mobility work?

I'm no DR, and certainly not an expert, but tight muscles or immoble areas can really lead to some serious pain in different areas.

If you want to keep weight training and feel like trying some stuff, maybe look into some work on your psoas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sSUsJ-bTY

Yes, I do a lot of stretching and mobility and yoga.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Do what you feel is right, but never feel bad about getting a second opinion. Not every Doctor has the answers and sometimes you need to fight to find the answers you want.

I went to multiple. Nothing found.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Also, if I stop exercising for a few weeks, adn the pain doesn't stop, I will also know that it has nothing to do with that, which is also good information. Continuing to do the same thing is making it really difficult to figure out whats wrong. I gotta change it up and see how it shakes out.

Any more opinions?
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Edit- Heal up, it does sound like you over streched your oblique tendons-aka Tendinosis. Rest with light stuff, 'dog walking' etc. should be fine.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Edit- Heal up, it does sound like you over streched your oblique tendons-aka Tendinosis. Rest with light stuff, 'dog walking' etc. should be fine.

Thanks. I appreciate it. Yeah, I'm really really really bummed though. It sucks. All these years of hard work are just going out the window. But, I'll be back. It was nioce sleeping in this morning. :)

Anyone have any ideas how long it takes to heal. I'm think 3 months should be enough, as long as I feel good. And, then just ease into it slowly.