Is it bad to work out at night?

Options

Replies

• messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I only have time to workout at night and have been doing it since I began - sometimes as late as 11pm. It doesn't affect my sleep or anything whatsoever and I'm 25lbs down in 2 short months!

I think just working out, no matter what the time, is going to be beneficial.
  • aelaux12
    Options
    Does this work out thing work out at first? I just added it today and i need to loose weight.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    If that's the only time you have to do it, then it's the BEST time to do it. I work out around 8 during the week (except last week when I strangely decided to get up at 6 and do it...weird). I did have some trouble sleeping that I thought might be because of working out so late, but really, I have trouble sleeping anyway and my cat doesn't help matters.

I just realized that this thread is two years old...
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    After 8pm is better than never but if it were me, I'd make sure to get some sort of post-workout drink or meal in after so you don't wake up starving. Personally I have to cut myself off around 9pm as the ending time or I feel like a human furnace when I try to go to bed.
  • sarita446
    sarita446 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have two small children and work all day so the only time I have to work out is at night when my little ones are in bed or wake up at the crack of dawn (not a morning person)! It doesn't affect my sleep at all (actually I sleep better on workout days). Everyone is different but I don't see the issue as long as you're getting a workout in!
  • certainwoman2002
    Options
    Along with everyone else. I work out at night because of my schedule and mama duties. I think it is okay.. At least you are getting something in.. Every bit helps.. Keep doing what you are doing..Your body will thank you....
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Does this work out thing work out at first? I just added it today and i need to loose weight.

Depends on how badly you want it. Also, don't trust your scale too much - an inch tape is your best friend.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i seem to get my best workouts in in evening rather then after work dunno why
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter when you do it, Just do it :)
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If I workout past 8 pm I have trouble sleeping. My bedtime is around 10:30 and i won't have time to settle down before then. But, to each their own, I think if the time works for you, then it's fine. I've heard people get better workouts in the a.m since they aren't tired from the day. I can see that, depending on the day I've had I may not run as far or as fast.
  • dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    it's the only time I *have* to be able to work out (I get up at 415am, am out the door at 5am, on the commuter bus by 520am, at work by 630am, leave work at 430pm, and don't get home till almost 6pm ... so if I *didn't* work out at night ... and at home ... I'd *never* work out) ... but I've lost almost 55 lbs in a bit over 5 months ... so I think it's ok but as always it depends on the person ... :wink:
  • ChristyNY44
    ChristyNY44 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just joined a fitness group that meets every week night from 8-10 pm. That gives me time to get my kids in bed and then I dash out the door.

I agree with JennaMarie. As long as we get it in!!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i've heard it both ways, that it will make it harder to sleep or eaiser.

Its probably going to effect different people differently.

The best time of day to work out is when you naturally have the most energy, the second best time of day to work out would be whenever you have time lol.

Other then that it doesn't matter when you work out, other then the possibility of it adversely effecting sleep. Wouldn't work out and expect to go right to bed anyway.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I think you should work out at whatever time you feel comfortable with and that fits your schedule. I've tried working out at different times throughout the day... 6am, noon, 8pm, 10pm and I feel great after each and every one. As long as you're working out, you're good to go, right? :)
  • caponef4
    Options
    I think as long as you work out, that's all that matters.
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    I normally like to work out any time after 6pm, right before dinner, as working out makes me hungry. :o) I really don't think it matters at all. Just keep doing it!
  • jnerdin
    jnerdin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say about working out in the morning is that it boosts your metabolism for the rest of the day which might help you burn more calories easier.

I keep hearing this over and over again. Why does it only boost it during the day? Does it not increase your metabolism while you are sleeping too? Or does any metabolism boost you get from doing it in the evening shut down once you go to sleep?
    You get a metabolism boost for a certain number of hours after you work out because your body is using energy to recover from the workout. That will be true regardless of when you work out. However, if you go to sleep shortly after you work out, your body naturally slows down many functions, so the benefit may be a bit less. However, I don't think this should discourage you from working out late at night if that is the time that works for you. Just try to move around and not be too sedentary during the day. This is true regardless of when you work out.
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I generally go to the gym around 6:30 in the evening. The only drawback is that its the peak time... so I guess a lot of ppl workout in the evening and it must be working for them.
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think so, just as long as you're getting something in.
    I almost always work out at night.... just because as a college student I have classes from morning til 5 p.m. normally, then dinner, then various club activities that could last til 10 p.m. at the latest. Late night or early morning (12 - 3 a.m.) is the only time I always have available.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter when you work out.