Biggest food sacrifices?

Options
To those who have lost weight so far...

Was there a point in your progress where you knew you had to COMPLETELY get rid of a particular food that was hindering your weight loss? Whether it was seriously high in calories, or because you knew you wouldn't be able to moderate yourself?

If you've kept off the weight... Do you still occasionally indulge in those foods, or is it completely eliminated from your diet?

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to answer my own question...

-Soda and flavored juice drinks - Completely replaced by water and sometimes seltzer
    -Fast food - Stopped entirely when I got serious about losing weight, and I never eat it anymore (thank GOD the cravings went away completely, I used to eat Wendy's several times a week)
    -Pasta - It's no longer a part of my regular diet and I won't make it at home. But on the rare occasion I'm out for Italian food with family (once every couple of months or so), I will eat it

The pasta is the hardest :)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I gave up full sugar sodas, but I still drink diet on occasion. Maybe 2 or 3 a week. I used to have 2 20oz Mt. Dews for breakfast. That's it, just the Dew. then more with lunch and dinner.

Mayonnaise. Haven't had it (on purpose) in about 10 years. I make tuna or chicken salad and use a small amount miracle whip instead. With LOTS of mustard.

I should probably give up beer, but I'm not ready to do that yet.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I want to hear the answers to this. I've been slacking on food logging and am thinking of going to one of the low glycemic index "diets" that I think of as basic healthy eating. "If it's in my calories, it's okay" has been hard to maintain because of the temptation factor.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    - Dill pickle chips
    - Cheesecake
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Caloried soda. It's a disease for me. I can NOT have it, or I'll backslide.
  • smaryamf
    smaryamf Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I LOVE rice, and I cannot moderate it, I can have Lots of it, with a yummy curry, I love pasta too.

My problem is I love and can never moderate the carbs,so I try to avoid it as much as I can , maybe indulge in it during the weekends,but try to eliminate during the weekdays.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The only food I completely got rid of from day 1 is soda. The only thing I drink now is water and iced tea on occasion. Other than that, I still eat my fav foods in moderation.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda because I have no idea how to moderate that. I might occassionally have a Sprite (like once a month or less) but other than that, I only drink water and coffee.

Other than that, I haven't given anything up. I seriously reduced my consumption of some things - fast food being the main one. I have it infrequently. I try to take my lunch and if I can't for some reason, I eat at a local restaurant (a taquiera nearby or a local bbq place).
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything completely, but I really limit the amount of bread I eat. I usually only have 1 slice a day with my poached eggs at breakfast. I've never been a massive sandwich fan, but I do like toast and fancy marmite on toast sometimes.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Mine is going to be dairy. I gave it up once, felt great, and all my sugar cravings went away but I am loathe to give it up again. I gave up sugary candy like gummy worms. It is too addictive and I always feel like crap afterward.
  • Drea_ann
    Drea_ann Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    pizza pizza pizza

It gets me in so much trouble. I am trying to cut it out completely.

One of the hardest things I have ever tried to do.
  • Alford96
    Options
    I'm not at my goal weight yet but the one thing that I've given up just about completely is ranch dressing. I just find that I need a stronger flavored salad dressing when I'm cutting the amount down so much. Also, I have to really really cut back on the pizza. I still eat it but only after I've been battling my cravings for several days or more!! Sometimes the cravings go away but when they don't, I just try not to eat the whole pie.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Homemade Butterscotch Sauce. Suppose to be used over ice cream. When I would make it, I would end up drinking it instead.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    not such food per say, but wine!! usually have the whole bottle on a sat night lol
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    1) Soda - have not had in years (even diet)
    2) Potatoes - I will have a backed potato as a treat maybe once every 6 months or so
    3) Sugar - I only eat (to the best of my ability) naturally occuring sugars
    4) Caffeine
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda 2 years ago for non-weight related reasons. Since starting this I've more or less given up the "drinking" calories like juice - though there are days I have just poured a small 4 oz glass and watered it down just cause I wanted the flavor. I don't really CRAVE the juice anymore.

I've more or less given up fast food burger joints exclusively because I can't win with their sodium amounts. I don't mind, and Ill probably eat there again, just not as frequently as we used to (twice a month, lol.)

Anything else Ive just reduced portions, or frequency. I can't be successful if I have to give it up entirely forever. Knowing I can have it takes all the tension/pressure off and somehow I dont feel the need for it as much. Though, Ill be honest - I was hardcore craving a BK double bacon cheeseburger near the first month, it was so bad I could taste the nasty grease dribbling down my throat. However it was also midnight, else i may have given in and gotten one, lmao :)
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    Pasta -- especially kraft macaroni and cheese.

Ice cream.

Pita chips. I'll take down the bag in one sitting.

Cool Ranch Doritos. (See explanation for Pita chips).

Alcohol. I still enjoy it on occasion, but it's much less in both frequency and volume.

Uncle Ben's 90-second Jasmine Rice. I'd eat both servings for a cool 100+ grams of carbs.

The irony is that I'm in the midst of training for a marathon and I did so consuming only 120 g of carbs / day and I always felt fine, in terms of energy levels. In the process, I lost about 25 lbs.

Also, red meat is now once every two weeks.
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I cannot say that I have completly given up on anything...I have significantly cut down on lots of things tho. I dont like to buy a half gallon of ice cream for the house...I will eat it all the time but I just go pick up a single serving from somewhere when I want it. I have cut down on sodas, actually I mainly drink water but i do have one occasionally...desserts I will eat if it does not compromise my calorie goal. I have learned to make wiser choices at fast food places...like at mcdonalds i will have a side salad and a grilled chicken patty (yes they will sell it to you like that) Something that I do try to avoid is cheescake. I dont see how you can make a proper cheescake without it being loaded with about a third to half the day's calories lol And candy I only by single servings if at all...most of the time I just eat a piece or so of someone else's candy.
  • vee1733
    vee1733 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a question. I keep going over my protein. Is that a bad thing? I use to be really into eating right and working out about 8 years ago. Back then I would always double up on my protein but I also was working out HARD CORE. Now it's just hard to get out there and work out.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i didnt give up anything i just practice moderation and found healthier alternatives to the stuff i really enjoy like blue cheese salad dressing.

moderation and portion control works far better than any diet you can go on