Ever had anyone try to tell you how to do your job?

Options
lamoursuffit
lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
Today, I was calling places for my internship, and had a lady ask what program I was in and then said "Oh." and proceeded to tell me how they don't really take medical assistants because "all they do is..." and then continued telling me what I already know I would do O.o It's fine if you don't take MAs as interns because "all they do" isn't enough for you, but I think the past year and 4 months I've been in school, I know what the job entails. -sigh- There was a few other sites that looked promising, though, so at least that's good!

Ever had anyone try to tell you how to do your job?

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Everyday.

Shrug it off, and move on.
  • ReesesPuffs
    Options
    My instructor is always telling me how to do my job. Says "I'll die if i don't learn how to put an engine in the right way" Pft what does he know?
  • SusieGirlRN
    SusieGirlRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    She was ignorant & you a very much needed in the medical field ~ best of luck to you :flowerforyou:

BTW ~ nobody would dare try to tell me how to do my job, would like to see them do it better :laugh:
  • karynspeace
    Options
    Yes - today in fact - and it infuriates me .... I want to tell that person to get her head out of the bosses *kitten* and do her job and stay out of mine! But I just smile and walk away. My momma taught me how to be a lady, after all.
  • lamoursuffit
    Options
    She was ignorant & you a very much needed in the medical field ~ best of luck to you :flowerforyou:

Awh thank you :) I did have one really nice gentleman, an anesthesiologist, that sounded really excited about me calling and asked me all kinds of questions, and it sounded like he wanted to get me an interview, so that's good. Plus it was for the Hoffman Heart and Vascular Institute, so lots of EKGs, which I love!
  • lamoursuffit
    Options
    Yes - today in fact - and it infuriates me .... I want to tell that person to get her head out of the bosses *kitten* and do her job and stay out of mine! But I just smile and walk away. My momma taught me how to be a lady, after all.

Mine too!
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am a dental hygienist and my patients like to try and correct the way I floss their teeth because that isn't how they do it. Really? Why are your gums bleeding then? and I am doing it wrong lol
  • lamoursuffit
    Options
    I am a dental hygienist and my patients like to try and correct the way I floss their teeth because that isn't how they do it. Really? Why are your gums bleeding then? and I am doing it wrong lol

Really? I always think, huh, I've been flossing wrong the whole time!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    when i was 20?? Yea they did
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Every single day, but it's the nature of my profession, so you accept it and deal with it or you find a new line of work.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Really? I always think, huh, I've been flossing wrong the whole time!

iT IS SO FUNNY. I even show them, and they just give me a puzzled look. :-/ So I guess my degree and 10 years in the field has no merit compared to a Damage Controlman's dental experience in the Navy lol
  • karawRN
    karawRN Posts: 311
    Options
    yep. i proceeded to tell her that this was my way of doing which also works and works best for me and that i will let her know if i have questions.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    sometimes... they come to me to help them, then make out that actually, they know best. I just say "fair enough, let me know if you get stuck..." and i leave them to it
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Yep everyday. I'm a licensed stylist, and people will come in and tell me how to cut/color/wax their hair. I appreciate them telling me what they want their hair to look like when we are finished, but not how to go about getting there. I have 16 years of experience, and a huge clientele. It's usually only the first time clients that make that mistake.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm a public school teacher. People in the government who have never taught (or have a whopping two years experience) just love to tell us how to do our jobs.

Just take it with a grain of salt. If you know you're doing okay, that's all that matters.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    YES....and it is iritating...I do billing for a mental health/substance abuse outpatient clinic, and my co-workers are always trying to tell me how to do my job...(I've been doing this for 22 years!!!!) I have a massive load...and bring in mega bucks..how can they tell me how to do it, if they don't have ANY training in what I do??? in fact, I would LOVE to have them sit in MY shoes for one day and see what they can do....except, that I probably would have to re-do everything when I got the results of what they tried to do!!!! when I'm gone for some reason, I ust tell them TO LEAVE IT FOR ME...I will take care of it when I get back...
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm a graphic designer, so I get told how to do my job at least six tmes a day.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm a graphic designer, so I get told how to do my job at least six tmes a day.

*sympathy hug* My best friend is in the same boat as you.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the working world...and get used to it! This isn't meant to be rude, but there's ALWAYS going to be someone who wants to tell you what to do and how to do it...the trick is to try to figure out who is giving good advice and who is trying to blow smoke up your butt :laugh:
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Daily, he is called my boss.