Tilapia

Options
2»

Replies

• epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    That is just too funny. My husband and i were just talking about Tilapia. Neither of us can bring our selves to eat it after seeing it on an episode of dirty jobs. They were using Tilapia to clean up after other fish, they eat the other fishes waste, YUK!!!!!!!!!

kat

:noway: *gagging sounds*

Had I but known! LOL :laugh:

Oh I so agree - ack ack.....that is so gross.
  • ncblueyes
    Options
    Dirt? I like tilapia and don't think it tastes like dirt.....

Here's a really easy way tilapia.

Dip tilapia in egg white then bread crumbs and reduced fat Parmesan cheese (50/50 blend)

Place tilapia on a pan that hasbeen sprayed pretty heavily with Pam

Bake at 325 for 8-10 minutes based on the thickness

Flip over and bake additional 8 minutes.

(Spray the top side of the tilapia with Pam when you turn it so there will be some on the bottom)

If you have a butter substitute it is even better than when fixed with Pam.....
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    (Hope I posted this under the correct category :blushing: )

Okay, so I thought I'd venture to a new kind of fish and I decided on Tilapia.
    My sister "warned" me that it tastes like dirt, but I wanted to find out for myself.

Well, I cooked some tonight for dinner and it tasted like dirt. (Yes, I know what dirt tastes like :laugh: )
    Has anyone else found it to taste "dirty"?

Also, any suggestions for *delicious* kinds of fish I could try out would be greatly appreciated :bigsmile:

Thanks so much!
    :flowerforyou: T

I have eaten a little dirt in my life to. Mainly in the army but also in baseball... Lol anyway.. Tilapia is ok.. Not my fave. I eat fish 3-5 times a week and I like Flounder, WHite Fish, Ocean perch and every once in a while tuna or catfish. Niot very into salmon. Overall I lovvvveee seafood and eat shrimp to.

I find it funny that I :heart: MRE's, but I can't choke down a wimpy little fish! :laugh:
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    That is just too funny. My husband and i were just talking about Tilapia. Neither of us can bring our selves to eat it after seeing it on an episode of dirty jobs. They were using Tilapia to clean up after other fish, they eat the other fishes waste, YUK!!!!!!!!!

kat

:noway: *gagging sounds*

Had I but known! LOL :laugh:

Oh I so agree - ack ack.....that is so gross.

Okay, now i have to reconsider eating this fish! Guess what i had for dinner tonite! LOL
  • tekla
    tekla Posts: 4
    Options
    Tilapia is best on a grll. Put a little olive oil and a bit of butter in an aluminum pan, squeeze lemon juice on top, for one piece, I'd use 1 lemon, then either capers, with a little of it's juice or some dill. You will not get that taste at all!:smooched:
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's input...I guess I just got used to growing up eating the fish my grandfather would catch, clean and we'd eat that day/night. I'm really not a picky eater, so I was surprised that I didn't like it. :ohwell: I'll have to give 'er another go-round with some of the recipes y'all have shared on here. :happy:

Thanks again!!!
    :flowerforyou: T
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options

kat

Ewe, just another con to add to my list!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    since i started dieting, we have added more fish (less beef to our diets). we like everything from mild (like tilapia) to strong flavors (like salmon). i would suggest you try different fish (combined with seasonings & sides you like) until you have found the kinds you can eat and enjoy.

One thing i have found here in frozen foods are the ocean eclipse individual 4 oz pkg of fish (they do salmon, pollock, tilapia, bay scallops and i think halibut). one of my issues is portion size. being able to buy fillets that are already portion sized is a plus for me. (plus they are $1 a pkg -- with a little math that's $4/lb) $4 a pound is not a bargain for tilapia (even if you don't think it tastes like dirt) but is a bargain for salmon or scallops.

We each taste things differently. so do a once weekly fish experiment night until you find what will work for you.
    (by the way, i may not get the dirt thing; but my friends think i'm nuts that i don't like cilantro, because it tastes like soap.)
    -katie
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Tilapia, like shrimp, are "bottom feeders" meaning that they scour the bottom of the water, eating all of the waste and everything else from all of the other creatures. That being said, as gross as it is, I still eat tilapia occasionally because I find it to be the mildest fish. I'm a pescetarian so I really try to eat fish in order to get the nutrients, but it's not my favorite. I like to broil my tilapia with cumin, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. I also like salmon, halibut, white fish and tuna steaks. I despise "fishy" fish like walleye, perch, bluegill, etc.....can't stomach those at all. I know some people think that salmon is fishy, and although I have had fishy salmon, generally I find it to be mild.

Maybe your mind was subconciously telling you to taste dirt after what your sister told you.......try it again, just season it up. :wink:
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes. I only recently discovered Tilapia, and both I and my husband and my daughter love it (but then we have never tried "dirt"... LOL) Tilapia has a mild taste that can be easily flavored if you don't like it "plain". I even enjoy crumbling it and using it as a protein topper on a romaine/spinach salad. Your recipes sound great. That's what I had hoped to find in this thread. Thx again.:smile:
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    If you want to give tilapia another chance, I usually smother it in garlic and lemon, or have it with sautee veg and creole (tomato) sauce. It's not the only fish in the sea though!

Mahi mahi is a nice, mild fish that absorbs the flavors of what it's cooked with well. Salmon is a classic and is wonderful encrusted with sea salt with a maple syrup glaze--cover the fish in sea salt and drizzle REAL maple syrup and wrap in tinfoil, allow it to sit overnight--then toss it, still in the tinfoil, on the grill for a few minutes on each side. OMNOMNOM. Delicious.

Also, shellfish is a good alternative to fish--scallops are great in pasta with garlic and lemon, or a teryaki glaze. Even on their own they're yummy.