Question for the RUNNERS out there

Options
Do you think its better to run a straight 3+ miles or run and walk? I was running 3 straight miles (5.5mph. 32 min). I took 3 weeks off and am just getting back to running. But I see a lot of ppl who run a few minutes then walk?

Replies

• curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Do both, like intervals. It will keep your body guessing what's coming up next. :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You are opening up a huge can of worms here. :smile:

My thoughts are, if you are just starting out or starting back and taking intermittent walk breaks allows you to go longer and farther, then take them.

If you have been at it for a while and you are training to best your previous race PR times, then eschew the walk breaks.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    for me it actually throws me off more if i start walking in between. that's just me though.
  • erindh87
    Options
    Some of the people you see doing intervals like that may be doing the Couch to 5K program. In case you haven't heard of it, it's a training program that uses walk/run intervals to gradually get a person running a 5K. It's very popular right now. A lot of people at my gym are are using it (including myself!).
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I took 3 weeks off and had to walk 5 run 10, walk 2 run 10 ect
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do you think its better to run a straight 3+ miles or run and walk? I was running 3 straight miles (5.5mph. 32 min). I took 3 weeks off and am just getting back to running. But I see a lot of ppl who run a few minutes then walk?

There are training plans, all the way up to marathon distances, using walk/run intervals and I know some runners who turn in pretty impressive race times using the method (google Jeff Galloway).

Best advice if you're coming back from a few weeks off take it easy and listen to your body. Go slower than your previous pace and if you feel the need for breaks take them.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with walk/run to get you back in the swing of things. Even after you can run 3 straight, you might want to do walk/run intervals for speed training, but not for every run.
  • brianfmatthews
    brianfmatthews Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How many miles per week and for how many weeks before you stopped?
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I do the run/walk method, but I'm in the middle of a couch to 5K. I think I'm in better shape that I originally though, becuase so far this plan in easy. I do the run/walk for about 45 minutes instead of the 30 the plan says to do, and only becuase I told my wife I'd be home at a certain time. I think I need to jump ahead a week or so. :-)

Sorry,slightly off topic. Anyway, do what your body is telling you. If can go for 3 miles without pain or any sort of problem, do it!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it up with walking and running. I just took a week off and jogged for about 2.5 miles. However if I take a longer period of time it takes me awhile to get back to running the distance.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    12 yrs ago I could run 5 k no problem. I just got back into it, and I am at run 5 min walk 2 min. I am hoping by Nov I will be back to just running. I would rather just run the whole way.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Do what you want to do or what is easiest for you to get back into the swing of things.

I have taken breaks for injuries and breaks to allow for other exercises to take precedence. If I was injured - I might walk some when I am just getting back into to it so as to not overdo it.

If it's not for an injury- I just run.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I will suggest reading the Jeff Galloway Method; he believes that you benefit by taking walk breaks and that you can improve your time and speed by taking the walk breaks. I am just getting back to running after getting rear-ended and getting whiplash; I still have some pain in my lower back and my neck so this is perfect (and okay with my doctor) rather than running my regular mileage right away.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    for me it actually throws me off more if i start walking in between. that's just me though.

Me too! ^^^^^

ETA: I think with it only being 3 weeks you were out, you could build yourself back to running the full 3 in no time. See just how far you can go, but I wouldn't worry so much about the speed. Go the distance first, then build the speed.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just stared interval running, it rocks!!!!!
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Another method is to run and instead of doing a walking interval, you could just slow down to a jog then speed back up when you are ready.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, i do both, and i love it, i never was a runner, glad i am now!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    When I was participating in the C25K program, I did the walk/run thing. Now it messes me up~I do better if I run without walking~unless it is a day like today when I ran intervals, but I consider that different?
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have to just run. I tire too quickly if I stop. I have a harder time getting myself to run again and for the whole distance. I found for me if I run my 3 miles, I not only burn a lot more calories but my work out is done a lot quicker.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Intervals are a good way to bump up your fitness level. You'll probably be running your intervals faster than you would run the whole thing straight, which is great for your heart and muscles.

I do both. I'm trying to train for a 5K and want to run the whole thing without stopping. But I find intervals help me condition well so breathing and bursts of speed are easier.