Is obesity a CHOICE?

Options

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I believe as a young adult, yes it is a choice. expecially people 18+ who are adults making their own decisions.
  • Katalyst77
    Options
    My son showed me this clip and I thought it was fabulous. When you see someone, you do not know where they are on their journey, what struggles they face, and what they are doing about it. The fact that obesity is such a target for bullying is real, and for some reason people think it is OK to be mean to someone just because of their weight. This anchor addressed the society attitude head on and she was clear, concise and very brave to do it.

Every one should be a healthy weight. No one should smoke. Motorcyclists should always wear helmets. Kids shouldn't run around barefoot in rocky ground. People should get colonoscopies regularly. There are all kinds of 'shoulds' about how we should be safer, healthier, smarter. But bottom line, making that choice or avoiding it, does not affect a persons worth or right to be treated with respect.

Well said!!! I dont think any sane person mindfully chooses to be obese. It happens because we aren't being mindful and we don't all have the kind of metabolism that will let us get away with that.
  • Snoopaloop63
    Snoopaloop63 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Every day we are faced with constant choices. If you keep chosing to eat unhealthy then you will be unhealthy. Some people have a medical condition and some have psychological conditions, but many times both types of conditions are caused by poor diet in the first place (not always). When I was eating poorly I was depressed and had anxiety attacks, I in turn ate food to "feel good".

I would say yes I chose to gain 45 pounds

Now I try every day to make the choices that will make me 45 pounds lighter
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't a choice per say. Obesity isn't a behavioral problem. It's a broken metabolism that can be caused by numerous things in today's toxic environment. And if the nutritional experts, doctors and scientists (not to mention the government) would get past this maybe then we could figure out what is causing the breakdown inside the body.

Teens have a constant appetite - this is advertised to on TV. They are supposed to overeat because they need it for a growing body. Why is it when they are skinny and eat all the time they just have a big appetite ("he's a growing boy") yet if they are obese and eat all the time it's because they can't help themselves?

In my opinion sugar and wheat just make you want to eat more sugar and wheat. And I repeat myself: this is my opinion.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I would never say based on looking at someone that they chose to be obese. This anchor for a local TV station received a private email from a viewer who confronted her that she was a bad role model because of her weight. You can hear her on air response here. This is a difficult and challenging topic as our society tries to solve the obesity epidemic. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUOpqd0rQSo&sns=fb

There are some people who have medical issues that cause them to be overweight. I would never judge someone based on their size. However... for the most part, people CHOOSE what to eat.... which results in larger sizes. So, while they may not choose to be obese, they are more often than not causing themselves to be overweight.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It depends. I've done nutrition counseling in low income areas, and there are people that seriously lack basic nutritional knowledge. Many people also don't know how to stay within a budget and eat healthy, or how to exercise in a dangerous neighborhood. Once people do understand how to feasibly eat right, then there's not much of an excuse.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    Being obese stems from addiction. Smokers, drug addicts, alcoholics- you may choose to take that first taste, but once you are addicted, it is more than a simple "choice" to turn things around.
    Back when I was drinking daily, I knew I didn't *want* to drink, but to function on a daily basis I had to. That was, until I was able to orchestrate my life to where I could get some help.
    Then there is the genetic aspect. Some of us are more predisposed to addictions of all kinds.

Often there are also deep seeded issues that are the driving force behind someone's weight issues. Like the woman who overeats because she was raped over and over as a child- she keeps the pounds on as a way to distance herself from those of the opposite sex. A layer of protection, if you will.
    Or the boy who was always hungry as a child, never allowed to have more than one meal a day, and never seconds, now is compelled to have extra food all the time because being hungry brings him back to a state of panic. Those issues regarding past traumas have often never been addressed, and the weight is just a symptom of much bigger, more complex issues.
    So, be careful not to judge- don't jump to "just don't eat that fatty, make a better choice". You can never know the entire story at first glance or cover everyone in the same giant blanket of shame.
    <3

29972982.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am Obese, I certainly did not make a conscious decision to be this way. I have always gained weight very easily and found it extremely diffcult to lose weight when I have tried.

I found out a few months ago that I'm insulin resistant and have PCOS, which is why I gain weight so easily. I am now losing weight but only by virtually eliminating carbs from my diet. If I hadn't found this out I still would have been stuck in a rut regarding weight loss as I would not have gone down the very low carb route.

So no I don't think that obesity is a choice for me, and don't really think it is a choice for anyone. but I do think that people allow themselves to become overweight and don't address it as early as they should.
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I believe that most of the time it is a choice. Not that someone sets out to be over 100 lbs. overweight, but by their own poor dietary choices have become obese. I know that sometimes there are medical reasons but I believe that the majority of the time it is not due to a medical issue.

2cents
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I wasn't planning to respond but a thought crossed my mind and I can't let it go.

So is obesity a choice? Yes and No.

So is being skinny a choice? Yes and No.

I have seen fat people stuff their face. I once saw a morbidly obese man at Arby's eat four roastbeef with melted cheese sandwiches and two extralarge curly fries. That is a hell of a lot of food. Was he making a choice to be fat? Yeah he was.

I have seen fat people who ate normal healthy meals and were pretty active (not marathon active but walking the dog every day and hiking on the weekend). And yet she was still fat. Did she choose to be fat? I do not believe that she did.

I have seen skinny people who were only skinny because they starved themselves and hopped themselves on drugs to keep themselves as thin as possible. Did she choose to be skinny? Yes she did.

And I've seen skinny people who can eat whatever the hell they want all day long and not gain a pound. Seriously not joking and I am entirely jealous of it too. Did they choose to be skinny? No they did not. And many of them wish they could put on a little weight.

What gets me is that people seem to think it is ok to label everyone with the same brush. NO everyone is not fat by choice. And even those who over-eat or select foods high in calories may still not be choosing to be fat. There are so many different reasons why some of us gain weight that it is wrong to tell others well you chose to be fat so suck it up and choose to be skinny.
  • b3ll3gurl
    Options
    Barring any real medical issue, such as thyroid issue or whatever, yes, it's a choice to be big. There are variations though. I have a Samoan friend, he can lose weight, but his small is bigger than I've ever been in my life. Lol. So, it's all relative. But, I think for the most part, it is a choice. For the vast majority of people, if they eat a reasonably clean diet 90% of the time, and get a decent amount of exercise, they would be fine and healthy.

I have been this weight since I started here. Only to go up and down 10 lb to 15 lb loss. According to the BMI I have 100 lbs to lose.

I am a dancer, I work out regularly hard core not just walking, don't have a sit down job, and I don't go over my calories. I am never even close. I just found this thread to see if Samoans can't lose weight. I am half.

I didn't just discover eating sensibly or working out yesterday. This was just another something I thought I would try. My mother is a thin and never had junk in the house when I was a child. You won't find it in my house either. Plus, I was an athlete as a child. I was really good at it.

Point is my life is hardly sedentary. Just because yours was does not mean that everyone who is overweight or obese is the same.

I am really clueless how I got this way. My clue is I probably have to move 16 hours a day like my ancestors did.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think for me yes, maybe at the time I wasn't consciously thinking "I'm going to make myself obese", but I only ever over eat, binge when I have felt low, emotional, stressed, worthless.
    I have deliberately done this as a kind of form of self harm (this has only just occured to me). I would be feeling bad, upset, hurt etc and think *u*k it....it doesn't matter, I don't care....and I would eat and eat and eat.

When I'm not stressed or upset it would never occur to me to behave in this way....sadly the results of bad eating last a lot longer than a few months or so of feeling down.

So, no, I never wanted to be in this position....but it is of my own deliberate doing.

Hope that ramble makes sense :ohwell:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    tagging to read later on my phone.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    tagging to read later on my phone.

You have been tagging a bunch of old threads. That is going to be a lot of reading on your phone.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    grave digger
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well, some say there's a such thing as being "addicted" to food.
    If this were the case, such poor afflicted souls would certainly have no choice in the matter.

I don't believe in such a ridiculous concept, however.
    Obesity is most definitely a choice.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Considering the mountain of scientific data about how hormones, genes, stress, sleep, and even the microbes living in your gut, affect body weight, I think that obesity is at least partly NOT a choice. It's an interaction of genes, environment, and choices. Some people have a much tougher fight to maintain a healthy weight than other people do, even if they make healthy choices about food and exercise.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I believe it relates more as plain ignorance initially than choice then slides into the end result. I mean, I see what is said around here on a daily basis and sometimes I just...I dunno..and these are people who are actively out looking for a better way. Imagine those who its just not on their priority list.
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow, that video is so powerful. Although I don't believe being obese is healthy at all, it's her life and her choices. I don't see how anyone could have the heart to send that message to her.

As for myself, I am obese. It really hit me when I got to 200 lbs that it's not okay. I was slowly but literally killing myself. And I'm only 21 for goodness sake! So, I'm committed to eating healthy now, losing weight little by little. When I have kids, I want them to look up to me and I want to be a good example for them.
  • Prettypedalpower
    Options
    I didn't chose to be obese. I ws a healthy weight into my twenties. I was then diagnosed bi polar. The cocktail of drugs they gave me to make me normal!! Destroyed me. I lost all my enthusiasm for life any sparkle I had and the weight just piled on over the yrs. I decided if rather be barking mad than fat when I had a time of clarity. I have up the meds and started to try to get a life back not an existence. You have no idea why some people are over weight. Its not always a case of its just what they eat.