Meeting MFP friends in person?!?!

Options
Has anyone ever meet and/or became friends with people outside of the site I was thinking about trying to add people close to my area and maybe do group workouts and things of that nature is this something people do or is that like a big no no! lol Thanks.:smile:

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I think its a good idea. Just meet in a public place so the person doesn't kill you or rape you ;-0
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yup, I now have a great friend who I originally 'met' through MFP! It can be like dating - just be sure to meet in a public place for the first time.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    idk, i'm not very trusting; i think it would run the scale of anywhere from mildly awkward to seriously dangerous (but yes, being in a public place does make sense). just my thoughts.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I have.... Best weekend ever ; )
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Be careful and public place is a great suggestion.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I use to workout with a guy I met here when I was living in Richmond. I guess it's easier for me being a bigger guy not having to worry about the being raped part, so for the females try to be careful where and who you meet, the bigger the group the better probably.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I like the idea. I love meeting new people... but, I'm also a little untrusting. It would be difficult... but, probably worth it. Just meet in a public place to begin with.
  • Tamilyn43
    Options
    I think it would be a great idea.. i can use someone to go on walks with. i hate walking alone. and my kids, well, they seem to be too busy for mom anymore.. ya know.. i am in the Ontario Calif area.. anyone out this way????
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would love to have someone nearby as long as we enjoy the same workouts.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have met someone from MFP before. She has become one of my good friends and someone that I feel i could count on if I ever needed her. There are also other pals on here that don't live close to me but if I were to ever be in their area or if there were to end up in mine, we would definitely make an effort to meet up and hang out.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    I was thinking about doing the same thing. If you live in northern NJ... workout partners are needed! :)
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Of course but be extremely smart and cautious about anyone you agree to meet in person especially if you are a woman. I know of some great friendships on and off MFP.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've met one of my friends, and plan to meet more. I got her old clothes off her. Really enjoyed meeting her. Can't wait to meet some of the others x
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    So far, I've only met one MFP buddy - my girl Rach!! Soo much fun, she rawks :-)

I've met a couple other friends - that I met on other sites, and even one that I met in a chat room, LOL! - in real life, too! It's a lot of fun :-)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have met someone yes, we went to lunch. I ate like a cow....never would have known we met on MFP the way I was eating lol :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've done before and it was lots of fun.
  • xoTammyox
    xoTammyox Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a great idea.. i can use someone to go on walks with. i hate walking alone. and my kids, well, they seem to be too busy for mom anymore.. ya know.. i am in the Ontario Calif area.. anyone out this way????

Bummer I used to live in Chino but moved up the hill :frown:
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    When I first signed up to another *cough*spark*cough* fitness website I found a girl who lived in my area that wanted to be walking buddies so we met at a park with a nice walking track that was halfway between our houses... the walks went well the first couple of times but then she started latching on to me (friend-wise) like a bad one night stand that won't leave your house in the AM. All I wanted was to meet at the park and walk... not play Oprah while she talked my ear off in the parking lot afterward and suggested going to get sugary frozen lemonades/ice cream. After 1 trip to Walmart together where she inexplicably didn't have enough money for the very item she went there to purchase I called it quits and swore off online fitness buddies. Maybe that's unfair to the normal people out there but I just don't need the headache of weeding out the crazies from the potential exercise partners.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I would love to do that! I've made a post about people in my area doing some 5Ks. But no one seems to be that interested lol
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Like online dating - Make sure the place is more public, and either bring a friend with you or AT LEAST tell your friends/family where you will be and with who just incase you go missing!

Try adding them for a while, talking to them often and if they are really dedicated to their fitness goals, I would say go for it.