Polar FT7 Review

Options
I scored a Polar FT7 at Target on clearance for $33 from $105, so I wanted to get some feedback from users with this heart rate monitor. I've been wanting one for a long time but they're usually in the $100's. I'm sure I got a good deal but I just want it to be a good monitor. TIA!

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I loveeeee mine!! The only thing i hate is it is hard to get the battery out. I was told that the sweat build up around it will cause it to lock so I have been making an effort to open it once a week and clean around it but it is still extremely hard to open.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You really scored!! I love mine but it took a little while to figure out the buttons.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Have had mine for a few months now. Love it. Helps so much when im tracking calories and is much more specific then mfp or the sensors on the treadmill and such. Has all the basics and none of the other crap that I didnt want and is really easy to use.

I read some people get frustrated setting it up. Just read the book and when in doubt google it!

Have fun!!
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I scored a Polar FT7 at Target on clearance for $33 from $105, so I wanted to get some feedback from users with this heart rate monitor. I've been wanting one for a long time but they're usually in the $100's. I'm sure I got a good deal but I just want it to be a good monitor. TIA!

Holy cow! *runs to nearest Target*
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since it is still missing the important stat of VO2max, as you get more fit it will start underestimating calories burned.

It has 1 zone feature for training, upper zone warning, not enough.

It has no display to show stop watch and HR, annoying.

Works underwater, great.

Sends dual digital and analog signals so little interference with watch reading signal, but still can be read by most machines.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    YOU BOUGHT AN FT7 for only $33?!?!?
    Score of a century!

In Canada, the one I was looking at was $207, I ended up going to NY and picked one up for $78 and I though *I* was the bargain hunter!

I've had mine for a full year now. I can't imagine a workout without it. Super simple to use, very accurate, and it synchs with most gym equipment. I love how you can keep track of all your workouts through its data function.

It also makes a cute watch!

...I'm tempted to buy a back-up HRM for your price, just so that I'm not lost when I forget it at the gym
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Wow, I paid $75 for mine back in May! Dang, you did get a good deal! I really like mine a lot. It was also my first HRM. I like how I can wear it doing everything at the gym, including going in the pool. If you wear yours in the pool, don't push any buttons on the watch while it is under water (it will tell you that in the instructions anyway).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I loveeeee mine!! The only thing i hate is it is hard to get the battery out. I was told that the sweat build up around it will cause it to lock so I have been making an effort to open it once a week and clean around it but it is still extremely hard to open.

Since it is waterproof, you are merely increasing the chances of ruining that seal.

I'd stop if I was you, or you will cause a real problem.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow, I paid $75 for mine back in May! Dang, you did get a good deal! I really like mine a lot. It was also my first HRM. I like how I can wear it doing everything at the gym, including going in the pool. If you wear yours in the pool, don't push any buttons on the watch while it is under water (it will tell you that in the instructions anyway).

Holy wow, you both got good deals on it!! I love using the FT7 for workouts and hikes, it's so easy to use!

But I have not been able to use mine for swimming - it always says "check HRM" and won't connect with the chest transmitter =(
    I don't know if it's the chlorine content in the pool, but even if I'm just standing in the water with my arm up, it won't connect... I really wish mine worked for swimming!!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    wow what a great deal, mine was just shy of $200 at a sporting goods store, I love it, easy to set up and the calories burned must be pretty accurate because I eat my exercise calories and consistently lose 2 lbs a week. I can check my average and max heart rate for each session. Shows how many minutes you burn calories at fitness and fat level.
  • blasian603
    blasian603 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for a couple of months. I love it...well, used to love it. Last week I noticed that the monitor on the chest strap is rubbing against my skin (under my chest) and it's chafing it. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe it's positioned wrong??? Or maybe my boobs are too big?? LOL.

I'm thinking of getting a HRM that I can just strap around my arm or leg to avoid this problem.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I've used an FT7 for more 15 months. Great HRM, though without a V02 max the calorie count remains an estimation. That said, I rely on the feedback of knowing my HR far more than the calorie burn. It's been a very useful tool for improving my fitness.

I don't think you can get a better HRM for the $80 I paid for it, let alone the $33 you paid for it. Excellent score!
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for over a year and love it. I have never owned a different HRM so I have nothing to compare it with, though.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

Since it is waterproof, you are merely increasing the chances of ruining that seal.

I'd stop if I was you, or you will cause a real problem.

Thanks for the advice. I can't get it open anyway now.

I've had Polars for the last 10 yrs. and whether I don't open it or open it the battery is always hard to remove. This year I had to get a new strap set becuase the battery died and they couldnt get it open. They use a quarter but it was so tight it ruined the slot and then nothing would fit.

That is my only complaint other than that it works perfectly!!
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7. That is a great price.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options

Holy wow, you both got good deals on it!! I love using the FT7 for workouts and hikes, it's so easy to use!

But I have not been able to use mine for swimming - it always says "check HRM" and won't connect with the chest transmitter =(
    I don't know if it's the chlorine content in the pool, but even if I'm just standing in the water with my arm up, it won't connect... I really wish mine worked for swimming!!

Mine worked great for swimming. Make sure that it's on tight enough. The first time I tried it, it kept slipping around in the water. Once I tightened it, there was no problem at all. Just make sure you don't press any buttons while in the water. You might also want to check the battery in it and see if it needs replaced.

I love my HRM but I have the sneaky suspicion that it is underestimating my calories as well. However at $35, you got an awesome deal. I'm going to check Target out the next time I'm in town. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a spare one. :-)
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Love mine. It's not super-slick, but it has what I feel the 'average' exerciser needs. I personally had it away for a while (long story, it really does push me), just took it out and had to change both batteries. They're different, the one in the strap and the one in the watch, which I found out after buying 5 batteries on line. I did not find the batteries hard to change, but used a nickle to open them up as the dime and penny were too thin. I am OK with the strap while I'm working out, but it really bothers me if I don't get it off quick. It's just annoying, doesn't itch or anything.

Just re-read your post. My target doesn't have them. :(
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have used mine for a couple years and love it.
  • bigtwagner
    Options
    I had one in the past, but the strap annoyed me too much. If i ever used one again, i would certainly go back to it. it was very accurate
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Great price I wonder if Target has any more! I have an older Polar but Im addicted to it. If I leave home to workout and forget it I go back home and get it if time permits. The watch takes you to a new level of fitness. Its like having a personal trainer without paying the price because if you are under your target heart rate it really pushes you to try harder or if you get to the end of a workout and you have burned say 359 calories it will push you to go to workput a little longer to make it an even 400 or 500. Also you burn way less calories than what MFP and other sites say you do. I cant say enough about how great it is to use an HRM.