Iron supplements

Options
No matter what I do I can't get my iron up. I need to take a supplement- preferably one that is easy on the tummy. Any recommendations?

Replies

• NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have to take an iron supplement daily. The one I liked best was http://store.veganessentials.com/vegan-iron-by-veglife-p1741.aspx because it has Vitamin C built into it so I could just take it and be on my way. I'm taking Nature Made's Iron supplement now because I was tired of having to buy more so I got a big bottle at Costco for myself and my daughter. As long as you take the iron with orange juice or something like that (Vitamin C is key) I think you should be okay. Don't take it within an hour of having had caffeine or dairy, that negates the iron absorption, or so I'm told :) I take mine at bedtime. Good luck! It's a pain, but if you take it daily you'll feel the difference!!
  • agidavis
    agidavis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have been to a homeopatic doc with the same problem and in 2 months and my iron levels are back to normal and i dont take them anymore. She made me realize how important quality is when it comes to supplements.

Try this:

Perque Activated B-12 Guard ( you need good quality of B12 for the iron to absorb) this brand is amazing, they also have pills for anemics.

+

You will need a iron supplement that its in liquid, or drops so you can take them couple of times a day.

Like this: Floradix Iron + Herbs by Flora

She has also got me on lglutamine, which is an immune booster.

All of this is on amazon.com!

Hope it works for you too!
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Be careful with iron supplements. You don't want to take in too much. It can be just as bad as having too little.
  • AmelieJG
    Options
    I love Floradix Iron and Herbs. My midwife recommended it to me. It is the best I've been on.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My doctor also told me to take iron supplements, but told me to read the labels carefully and to get the ferrous fumerate and NOT the ferrous sulphate. That turned out to be harder to find. Ferrous sulphate is the standard iron supplement, which is inorganic and really tough on your tummy and can cause constipation. Ferrous fumerate is organic iron and can still cause some problems, but they are much less likely. I'm pretty sure that I could only find one brand that had ferrous fumerate at my local pharamacy so you may need to search for it. It's less about the "brand name" and more about the actual component in my opinion.

And as others have said, it's best to take it with Vitamin C, orange juice, or a lemony salad so that absorption is at its highest. If you eat alot of red meat though, watch your iron intake. Talk to your doc.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I take Nature's Bounty Gentle Iron...tried the regular iron but it upset my stomach so I've been sticking with the gentle.
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Cook using an iron skillet and eat more oatmeal! I don't eat meat so getting sufficient iron is on my radar too.

Don't take supplements. They're not natural.(Juuuust sayin'!) : :flowerforyou:
  • RonitMig
    RonitMig Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have the Floradix, but never remember to take it (especially since I need to take it at lunch because of other medications I take, and I don't have a fridge here to keep it in). I always cook with cast iron, still no luck :( I will look into the other suggestions here. thanks :drinker:
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    When I was on iron supplements I used a brand called 'Land Art'. It was in liquid form, seemed to do the job! Good luck getting your iron up!