Recomposition question: How to rid belly fat?

Options
124»

Replies

• kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for what I'm doing. If you look in my pics you can see how much my tummy has gone down in a 2 1/2 month span. I am on a keto diet and take a cheat day once a week. And (now this is the important part) I lift my heaviest! I'm on a 3 day split so I make sure to have rest days. I think the exercises that have helped my tummy the most are stiff leg deadlifts and squats, though I can see change from all my weight training :) I only do about 10 minutes of cardio because honestly I hate to run if I don't have to lol
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    2. lift heavy weights
    3. do anaerobic cardio such as sprints, hills, sleds, circut training.

Like all your points. But how would you program both, for someone who's not 21?

start off easy and work your way up ofcourse... i wouldnt tell a super obese person to do sprints just start walking outside or on a treadmil and definately have someone teach you how to lift weights particularly how to do compound movements such as bench, rows, pullups, deadlifts, squats etc...i think you are never to old to add intensity to a workout... its max effort training.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the replies so sorry if this has been mentioned... here's a blog post on the "last 5 lbs" body recomposition that merits reading. I'm hoping this is what it takes. I have reduced my deficit to a very small one and I'm lifting as heavy as possible 2x/week and shortening up my cardio sessions.

http://gokaleo.com/?p=666

^^ Seriously a really great blog. I'm sure this is applicable to guys too.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You are already doing it,

Remember weight doesn't come off evenly all over and it has to come off somewhere LAST and you can't pick where.

My weight came off my *kitten* first and chest last I looked like Dolly Parton for a few weeks.
  • Jay_3
    Jay_3 Posts: 9
    Options
    Calorie deficit + time + patience is all that is needed.

I'd add strength training to that list - it all sounds very simple and easy but we all know that's not the case, so patience is the biggest enemy. Bear with it and it'll happen, no-one put on weight overnight and it won't disappear overnight.

Stick with it and good luck EccentricDad

Well, he asked how to get a flat belly. [Bold]Strength training is definitely not needed.[/Bold] There are plenty of people out there with flat stomachs who have never even seen a gym.

Yes some people naturally have flat stomachs but to say strength training is DEFINITELY not needed is complete rubbish you need to do some more research before you give bad advice

Thank you for posting today for my personal entertainment. Much appreciated.
    Your welcome troll. Thanks for add more useless crap to the internet we are blessed with your wisdom

Don't get me wrong, strength training is awesome and is useful for many reasons. But all that's required for a flat stomach is to drop the fat. Which requires a caloric deficit to achieve. You don't have to do strength training to achieve it.

So, please feel free to enlighten everyone on why you NEED strength training to get a flat stomach. I'm dying to hear what you come up with.

Here is an article that explains all with research to back it up. Have a look at the rest of the site you might learn something. But please dont come back with some rubbish about how you know all that. Obviously caloric deficit is important you cant deny the importance of training properly and scientifically.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/tabid/130/EntryId/1214/Tip-351-Do-Sprints-and-Traditional-Strength-Training-for-the-Best-Abs.aspx

I wont be reading this thread again so dont waste your time in replying to me.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I'd add strength training to that list - it all sounds very simple and easy but we all know that's not the case, so patience is the biggest enemy. Bear with it and it'll happen, no-one put on weight overnight and it won't disappear overnight.

Well, he asked how to get a flat belly. [Bold]Strength training is definitely not needed.[/Bold] There are plenty of people out there with flat stomachs who have never even seen a gym.

Yes some people naturally have flat stomachs but to say strength training is DEFINITELY not needed is complete rubbish you need to do some more research before you give bad advice

Thank you for posting today for my personal entertainment. Much appreciated.
    Your welcome troll. Thanks for add more useless crap to the internet we are blessed with your wisdom

Don't get me wrong, strength training is awesome and is useful for many reasons. But all that's required for a flat stomach is to drop the fat. Which requires a caloric deficit to achieve. You don't have to do strength training to achieve it.

So, please feel free to enlighten everyone on why you NEED strength training to get a flat stomach. I'm dying to hear what you come up with.

Here is an article that explains all with research to back it up. Have a look at the rest of the site you might learn something. But please dont come back with some rubbish about how you know all that. Obviously caloric deficit is important you cant deny the importance of training properly and scientifically.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/tabid/130/EntryId/1214/Tip-351-Do-Sprints-and-Traditional-Strength-Training-for-the-Best-Abs.aspx

I wont be reading this thread again so dont waste your time in replying to me.

This article talks about various exercises and their purposes and effectiveness. Did you even read it? Nowhere in the article does it state that these exercises, or any exercises are required for a flat stomach. Of course, exercises of any kind will help burn calories which can be used as part of an overall calorie deficit. Not exactly rocket surgery.

I'm guessing you have a severe issue with reading comprehension or common sense. Or, at this point, you're just being intentionally obtuse. Regardless, I do appreciate you leaving the thread because spreading misinformation helps no one. Lots of people will read your posts (and posts like them, this thread is riddled with them) and then end up having unrealistic expectations. Unrealistic expectations lead to frustration and disappointment and eventual failure.

Let's be clear here, you can work 7 days a week doing exercises that directly and indirectly target the abs and you'll never have a flat stomach. Even worse, your stomach can actually get bigger if you build the muscles up under a big layer of fat. You have to lose the fat around the midsection to get a flat stomach. The only way to lose fat is to be in a caloric deficit. You can do this via diet and/or exercise if you so choose. That's all. The truth is actually much simpler than the ten thousand "Get abs quick!" exercise programs out there (one of which you linked to).
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    "Get abs quick!" exercise programs out there (one of which you linked to).

What?!? Infomercial videos for losing weight and exercise are garbage? I don't believez you, liez!

Also, don't forget to stop drinking diet soda because it will force your brain to shut down your body's natural system of managing bodyfat in a calorie deficit environment.

Can we all just at least agree that you don't NEED to exercise to lose belly fat and just that proper diet in conjunction with exercise is more effective in body re-composition? Maybe?
  • bigblu89
    bigblu89 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

I think people confuse getting rid of belly fat and gaining "Six Pack Abs".

You can do crunches and squats and lunges all day long for months, but continue to eat garbage, and you'll never get a 6 Pack.

So, you have to eat right and do some fat burning workouts to lose the bellyfat before you have to worry about sculpting that 6 Pack.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

6) Saturated Fats (butter, mayo, dairy);
    7) Sodas, Diet Soads, Fruit Juices.
    All of these cause you to store excess fat usually around the mid-section.

There is plenty of information indicating that Saturated fats aren't this demon that need to be avoided and that your diet should include "x" amount of them.

Diet soda's... really? Aside from the sodium what is in a diet soda that causes you to store fat in your mid-section? Please don't post any articles on how artificial sweeteners confuse your brain into storing or not burning fat, read them, and can find equally as many that refute those articles. LOL.

It's interesting to me that you are up to date with your research on saturated fats (yes they are healthy when from healthy sources) but then blow it with promoting diet sodas (which don't really have that much sodium imo). Nutritional research is always problematic due to the difficulty of isolating factors. Whether diet sodas are fattening or if other obesogens compound their effect, I don't know, but just look around at all the obese people consuming them; I'm thinking diet sodas aren't helping reduce the obesity epidemic one bit, and according to information that I have found, are likely stimulating appetite and contributing to the development of serious diseases in some people. There is plenty of research (amazing, considering how underfunded research that goes against corporate interests is!) that challenges their acceptance by the FDA as GRAS. If it's not food, I don't eat it.

With the amount of crap that we breathe in the air alone the last thing I'm concerned about is a little aspartme. I've lost 30lbs and I drink plenty of diet soda. Reducing obesity regarding diet soda. No, because how often do you see people order a couple Whoppers or take 9-inches of pizza and drink it with a diet soda. Of course you're not going to lose weight that way, diet soda or not. A healthy person, eating an appropriate calorie deficit and getting adequate exercise will lose weight if they consume some diet soda; it's not going to roadblock anything. The research that is interesting is how it seems to affect one's ability to manage sweet cravings but again that's self-control and not the sweetener causing you to gain weight. Now if you want to worry about the concern of aspartme and cancer or other diseases or whatever else then that's a valid concern but like I said above, there's are toxins in all foods, even organic gets processed, the air we breathe, water we drink, that it doesn't matter; there is always some chemical around us reducing our quality of life to some degree.

OK, we can both agree that there are contaminants everywhere (I hope you are aware that the highest concentration is INSIDE our homes). So, by your logic, one should just continue to consume whatever contaminants without concern because it won't make a difference? Really? I have no problem that you choose this for yourself, but I feel it is poor advice for others.

My logic tells me to avoid as many contaminants as I can so that my body can better deal with the contaminants that I can't avoid. My logic (and research) tells me that by obtaining the healthiest foods possible (admittedly difficult!), not only will I reduce my toxic load, but I will also provide my body the tools necessary to deal with the unavoidable contaminants (that are intentionally put our consumer products!).
  • shizz230
    Options
    This is my problem...its seems as if the belly fat is the only fat thats not going anywhere...it get frustrating at times and discouraging at other times....I also need help with this
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Well, he asked how to get a flat belly. Strength training is definitely not needed. There are plenty of people out there with flat stomachs who have never even seen a gym.

But to get past your natural fat setpoint most people need strength training.

Else you can ride the skinnyfat train down to near skeletal, losing your muscles while maintianing your fat.

People that have flat stomachs without the gym (or other frequent exercise) have a very low fat set point, typically they were not overweight at all during their childhood/teen years.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    All you need:

1. Moderate calorie deficit (don't undereat or overeat) and sufficient protein intake (1-1.5g per lb lean body mass)
    2. A good heavy strength training program (Stronglifts 5x5, etc.) to help maintain lean body mass
    3. Consistency and patience.

If you're doing these things right, that'll be hard enough. Don't make it harder than it is.
  • waldo56
    Options

I'm not sure why this thread continued after this answer. It's all right there. This ain't magic or rocket science. Listen to the man that said this.

Continued weight loss will not cure a skinnyfat situation as the OP has. All he is doing by losing weight is losing muscle mass.

To get out of the skinnyfat trap, you have to strength train.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I'm not sure why this thread continued after this answer. It's all right there. This ain't magic or rocket science. Listen to the man that said this.

Continued weight loss will not cure a skinnyfat situation as the OP has. All he is doing by losing weight is losing muscle mass.

if this includes body weight exercises (push ups, pull ups, lunges and such) then most likely. But you do not need to do heavy weights in the gym
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    All you need:

1. Moderate calorie deficit (don't undereat or overeat) and sufficient protein intake (1-1.5g per lb lean body mass)
    2. A good heavy strength training program (Stronglifts 5x5, etc.) to help maintain lean body mass
    3. Consistency and patience.

If you're doing these things right, that'll be hard enough. Don't make it harder than it is.

This - OP you've been given this answer over and over. Excellent advice here.
  • waldo56
    Options

if this includes body weight exercises (push ups, pull ups, lunges and such) then most likely. But you do not need to do heavy weights in the gym

For sure. You can get big and bulky without the gym (or copy at home) too if you want to as well. The body is perfectly capable of providing progressive resistance to very high loads, and if need be you can augment that with small weights.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

For those of us who are obese, doing body weight exercises *is* lifting heavy! :laugh:
    :flowerforyou: