Girls: Contraceptive patch. Pro's and Con's?

Options
13»

Replies

• seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    don't do it! the risks far outweigh the 'benefits'- if you can call them that (i can't!)

how about charting? more effective than Any of the birth controls & absolutely no weird, toxic chemical side effects & you become way super in tune with how your own body functions! :smile:
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    as soon as I'm under 200lbs I'm switching to the patch!!

Id wait til about 180lbs. 190lbs is meant to be the maximum but the heavier you are the less effective it can be/more problems
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, a pill/patch/anything that messes with your hormones make it that much harder to concieve when you get older.

*Not sure how old you are.

Pshaw... maybe in some women... I was on it for 5 years before trying to concieve... in 2010 (I was 29) took off my last patch in May, had my period on time, got pregnant in June. Seriously, that's how quick it was... and I even had a history of very irregular periods before going on birth control.

I don't have enough fingers to count the women I know who went off the pill a few months before their weddings because they believed it would take months to get pregnant. And then they couldn't drink at their own weddings ...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Id wait til about 180lbs. 190lbs is meant to be the maximum but the heavier you are the less effective it can be/more problems

I was told when I weighed 155 that I was too heavy for it. I wouldn't take the chance unless you're OK with a possible baby.

Same with the charting, since I know registered nurses who had some bad luck with that.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I was told when I weighed 155 that I was too heavy for it. I wouldn't take the chance unless you're OK with a possible baby.

Same with the charting, since I know registered nurses who had some bad luck with that.

I have been around the 150-160 range for a while now... really since I got off the Depo shot... and I have had no issues with getting pregnant while on the patch... but that's just my experience. Like everything it's going to be an individual basis.
  • annielaurie88
    annielaurie88 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like it. I don't have to remember to take it every day at the same exact time.... It doesn't make me gain weight like the progesterone only birth control does. I can control when and if I decide to have a period (most of the time I do... unless something special is coming up like a romantic getaway.. :wink:)

The only big con is the cost... right now it cost $121 without insurance... and I just paid (yesterday) $95 with insurance.

If you are smoking, considerably overweight, or have a history of high blood pressure though, I would talk to your doctor about it... because like all medication there are risks when taking it... but the side effects are more predominate in these groups of women.

Where are you getting it for $121 without insurance?! do you have a planned parenthood in your town or nearby? i go there and it is only $23 dollars for a one month supply without insurance. hope that helps...
  • annielaurie88
    Options
    i just started using the patch. i was on the pill for a few years and just got tired of worrying about it daily.
    i LOVE the patch so far! its so easy to use, and for me, it stays on really good. i have even taken long baths and showers, and it still stays on. Its way more adhesive than a bandaid!! i havent had any issues with it peeling off at all.
    i also havent had any weird side effects. but then again it was the same hormones from the pill so it prob didnt affect me because of that. i use mine on my shoulder blade on my back. its a great spot because its totally out of the way and is always hidden regardless of what you wear (unless a bathing suit, of course..)
    i would give it a shot, i dont like the idea of using the ring or iud, i feel like i cant control it!
    my doctor told me that the patch is the same % of safety that the pill or ring is... 99.7 or something like that. so you should be OK. i dont know how people got pregnant using it, thats a little nerve-wracking when i read some other posts!

♥annie
  • annielaurie88
    Options
    Hey, I posted below on the Ring but just saw your question. As I said in my first comment, I ended up with blood clots after using NuvaRing for just 6 months. If you're thinking about using it, get your blood tested for clotting disorders before. My doctors say they are seeing a HUGE increase in young women with blood clots after using NuvaRing.

ahh this freaks me out! my mom is on blood thinners due to heart disease and I'm on the ring and thinking of switching to the pill just because I don't want to worry about the "what if".

you should def switch then!! how far are you from reaching the 200 lb mark?
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    i just started using the patch. i was on the pill for a few years and just got tired of worrying about it daily.
    i LOVE the patch so far! its so easy to use, and for me, it stays on really good. i have even taken long baths and showers, and it still stays on. Its way more adhesive than a bandaid!! i havent had any issues with it peeling off at all.
    i also havent had any weird side effects. but then again it was the same hormones from the pill so it prob didnt affect me because of that. i use mine on my shoulder blade on my back. its a great spot because its totally out of the way and is always hidden regardless of what you wear (unless a bathing suit, of course..)
    i would give it a shot, i dont like the idea of using the ring or iud, i feel like i cant control it!
    my doctor told me that the patch is the same % of safety that the pill or ring is... 99.7 or something like that. so you should be OK. i dont know how people got pregnant using it, thats a little nerve-wracking when i read some other posts!

♥annie

I'm really scared now! I got it yesterday but won't start until the end of this month.
    Fingers crossed nothing happens
  • annielaurie88
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm really scared now! I got it yesterday but won't start until the end of this month.
    [/quote]

Dont be scared! :) its wayy better than the pill!
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options

[/quote]

Dont be scared! :) its wayy better than the pill!
    [/quote]

i hope so! Thanks :)