Sounds stupid

Options
Im roughly 500lbs and obviously starting a diet/new lifestyle.... but the thing is I don't really want EVERYONE in my life knowing about it.

The reason being every time food/diets/etc comes up in conversation, I receive (often incorrect) food and exercise advice from people whether it's colleagues, friends, clients or even random passers-by in the street. No matter how well meaning it is, it's time-wasting and patronising... so my question is-- how can I refuse food or snacks (especially in an office or social setting) without offending someone or bringing up that I am trying to eat more healthily?

(I've tried just taking it and not eating it, but by the time 5pm comes around I've usually cracked and eaten the damn thing)

Replies

• Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "Nah I'm good thanks" and leave it at that. If they persist just say you're not really hungry of something.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Tell them youd love to- but youre on medication right now that dictates your diet. You dont have to tell them that the medicine is the badass playlist in your head when youre working out later. OHHH! fixed.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I like yoovie's idea.

I hate to tell you, but even when you lose weight and become super sexy, people will never stop trying to give you advice on what to eat/drink/how to live/what toilet paper to buy, you just have to graciously take it and organize where it belongs in your head, be that the treasure chest or the trash can.

Can't wait to see you succeed like a boss. Best of luck.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And, good for you for taking charge of your life.

It's so true that we allow ourselves to be pushed or pulled in directions we don't want to go because of social norms or trying to be polite. It's really a great idea to come up with a plan for handling these situations! What if you make sure you have a glass/bottle of water in your hand when you find yourself in this situation? Full hands may divert the urge to encourage/force you to get something to eat. Also, if you eat a little and do your best to log it accurately you will be able to tell the "pusher" that you just ate. There must be some choices that are healthier than others. We do have to eat and enjoy life! It would be a very long, hard road if it was ALL about denying ourselves a few indulgences along the way. There are no bad foods. Just bad portion sizes!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    just simply tell them that you dont want it or that u've already eaten
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Just say "no thank you". It's nobody's business why you don't want to eat whatever they're offering. If they really press you can just say you're not hungry and remember they're the rude ones for pushing. (Or you can always say, "ew, eat THAT? No way, that looks disgusting" if you want to be as rude as they are.)
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I just say no thanks then if they get forceful they get told to do one lol
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    My response at work was "I'll get some later". Our pot lucks go on for most of the night. That way I wasn't pressured as much as when I said no. This worked for me and no one but I knew whether I ate or not
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I just say "I just finished lunch" or "no thanks." If they are really pushy, I take it, eat one bite, wait until they are gone and then throw it away.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    you could just tell them "I'm not feeling so well so I think I'll pass"
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice, I don't have anything else to offer...just want to say good luck and congrats for taking charge of your life!!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Tell them you already ate (whether it's true or not!). I always bring my lunch, and if I'm going to a lunch time meeting where there will be pizza or something else I shouldn't be eating, I eat first--then I'm not hungry and able to resist.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Tell em youve been feeling nausea lately or just I'm not hungry. Unfortunately, you will have to deal with the comments as you lose weight. Just accept it with a simple thank you or if it is a mean comment let it slide. People are idiots when it comes to weight loss.
  • SirRunningShorts
    SirRunningShorts Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I say I have explosive diarrhea, it ususally ends every conversation.
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    I agree with the comments above.... I simple 'no thanks' is good enough. And in your mind you tell yourself ' THAT WAS A LITTLE VICORTY FOR ME, I WIN!'. Tell yourself that you're proud of yourself, the more positive things you say to yourself is very powerful. Yeah is it tricking your mind, yep. but giving yourself accolades is not a crime. When you think you are cracking at the end of the day ... mentally tell yourself how you'll feel after you eat something totally bad for you (yucky and mad) and/or how great you'll feel when you make a healthier choice (happy and in control)

Good luck my friend, YOU ARE IN CONTROL NOT THEM.
  • mlawilm
    mlawilm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I usually say that I've just eaten but thanks for the offer....
  • AdelaDi
    AdelaDi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I say I have explosive diarrhea, it ususally ends every conversation.

:))) There's another advantage to that - after saying that you are definitely not craving any more crackers :D Win!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Politely thank them and tell them that you're not hungry or you just ate.

My boyfriend is Filipino and they love feeding people. I usually get away from the nagging by already having a small plate with a little food. Normally I keep going back for the veggies or fruit, so it looks like I'm eating along with them.
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Lots of good advice here.

You got this Housey!
  • Welshcakes
    Welshcakes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice guys :D