Eating 1200 and not losing..

Options
2»

Replies

• exWHYzee1337
    Options
    Just ask the registered dietitian in the link below. I think he's going to tell you to cut calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/755899-registered-dietitian-in-tx-here-to-answer-questions
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories.

And that is why I don't ask questions of people offering free advice...you get what you pay for....sigh...

I'm sorry but its true.. Your either not calculating correctly, you need to work out more, or you need to eat less. At the end of the day it is calories out VS calories in.. Not trying to be rude by any means, and I know "everyone is different" but it is what works. Good Luck

That's an absolutely asinine and simplistic response and thought on weight loss. Weight loss is not linear. You can very easily have difficulty losing weight when adequately recording calories in (and calories out), even with a margin of error.

The quality of food (sodium, carbs, sugar, starch) can play a role, thus water retention can play a role. Your body may be plateauing on a low amount of calories; if you lost muscle mass due to a severe deficit/no strength training, you'll have a harder time losing weight.

Etc.

I'm sorry, but your "facts" are missing too many variables to be good advice.

Sorry, unsure how techinal to get in these forums.. I am new here. Of course if 100% of your calories come from carbs etc you will probably not lose, or retain water etc. I was trying to help in a simple way. but yes people it is a little more complicated then calories in/out but to be honest.. thats most of the formula whether you agree or not.

anywho if anyone wants help feel free to message me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't get that roadmap post because I'm eating under my BMR, working out and still not losing. So that doesn't always work for everyone.

You need to eat between BMR and TDEE, not under BMR. This is why you are not losing weight.
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options
    I don't get that roadmap post because I'm eating under my BMR, working out and still not losing. So that doesn't always work for everyone.

Ummm if you're eating under your BMR you're not understanding the roadmap. You should be eating 80% of your TDEE. Your TDEE should be at least your BMR times 1.2. When you're close to your goal them numbers sometimes get closer together...but they should't cross.

My TDEE is like 2600, so I should be eating 2000?? My doctor had me on 1400 and I stopped losing after 2 months and then I went up to 1700 and am losing, but like 2lbs a month. I don't think I'm one of those people who gets to eat more and weigh less. If it's calories in vs. calories out, I should be losing at 1700. Why would 300 extra cals a day make me lose?

what are your stats if I may?... just curious
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Ummm if you're eating under your BMR you're not understanding the roadmap. You should be eating 80% of your TDEE. Your TDEE should be at least your BMR times 1.2. When you're close to your goal them numbers sometimes get closer together...but they should't cross.

My TDEE is like 2600, so I should be eating 2000?? My doctor had me on 1400 and I stopped losing after 2 months and then I went up to 1700 and am losing, but like 2lbs a month. I don't think I'm one of those people who gets to eat more and weigh less. If it's calories in vs. calories out, I should be losing at 1700. Why would 300 extra cals a day make me lose?

It probably gives you more energy to do more active things throughout the day or more energy for your workouts.
  • marisablakley
    marisablakley Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Upping my cals and I instantly gain weight! What am I doing wrong/what's going wrong here?

Side note: started to lift weights, so it could be that I am gaining muscle, but I should lose some weight after a while... right?

You aren't gaining muscle. It's virtually impossible to do that on a calorie deficit. Also, the issue with gaining is time. You aren't giving it enough time for your body to adjust (could take a month). Also when you weight train your body stores additional glycogen/water to repair your muscles.

Keep in mind, you can NOT gain fat unless you eat 3500 calories more than you burn in a day and your metabolic rate alone will burn over 1200 unless you have a metabolic dysfunction.

Really???? But you can gain if you eat that 3500 extra broken up over a series of days, right? Because that makes me feel better. I have been jogging and running for over 7 months and I dont feel that Im losing enough or have gained the endurance that I think I should have by now. I just starting counting my calories here maybe a little less than two weeks ago, and I know its "bad" but I weigh myself daily, and its totally bumming me out.

And XYZ....you look better than the hulk :wink:
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options
    Upping my cals and I instantly gain weight! What am I doing wrong/what's going wrong here?

Side note: started to lift weights, so it could be that I am gaining muscle, but I should lose some weight after a while... right?

You aren't gaining muscle. It's virtually impossible to do that on a calorie deficit. Also, the issue with gaining is time. You aren't giving it enough time for your body to adjust (could take a month). Also when you weight train your body stores additional glycogen/water to repair your muscles.

Keep in mind, you can NOT gain fat unless you eat 3500 calories more than you burn in a day and your metabolic rate alone will burn over 1200 unless you have a metabolic dysfunction.

Really???? But you can gain if you eat that 3500 extra broken up over a series of days, right? Because that makes me feel better. I have been jogging and running for over 7 months and I dont feel that Im losing enough or have gained the endurance that I think I should have by now. I just starting counting my calories here maybe a little less than two weeks ago, and I know its "bad" but I weigh myself daily, and its totally bumming me out.

Well you can still gain fat without eating +3500cal.... 3500cal = 1lb roughly.. so say if 50% of your cal come from fat.. you could gain 1/4 lb fat or whatever be the case because your not burning and it's what the diet consists of. "Standard diets" would break down the calories into 60% Protein 20-30% Fat 10-20% Carbs. Still everyone is a little different in the way we process them

@ Maria stop weighing yourself daily. Eat the same amount of calories for two weeks and do your same running routine for those two weeks... If you dont lose drop calories by 250 then test for another two weeks, and see if you drop.

and thank you.. I used to look like shrek =X lol
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Your goal is 1200 but you're not even netting that (went back about a week through your diary).

Eat more.

And 1200 might not be the right number for you. Please read the following post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^This^
    But if the road map seems too complicated use http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee instead.

I also just checked out this post and it is awesome!! The simplistic response is definitely calories in vs. calories out. However, people who are even a little overweight (like me, I am working on these things, lol) don't understand how food effects our body. Reading this post was awesome, and definitely would help others to better understand how lose weight and more importantly MAINTAIN that weight loss. Thanks for posting whoever did that!!

helloitsdan started the road map. He also has a Facebook page called, ironically enough, In Place of a Road Map. There is also a group on MFP that has lots of info and tremendous support. It is also called (wait for it) - In Place of a Road Map. The best thing I ever did was start to follow that road map. It's made me a very happy camper! And a happy loser! :)
  • marisablakley
    marisablakley Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Well you can still gain fat without eating +3500cal.... 3500cal = 1lb roughly.. so say if 50% of your cal come from fat.. you could gain 1/4 lb fat or whatever be the case because your not burning and it's what the diet consists of. "Standard diets" would break down the calories into 60% Protein 20-30% Fat 10-20% Carbs. Still everyone is a little different in the way we process them

@ Maria stop weighing yourself daily. Eat the same amount of calories for two weeks and do your same running routine for those two weeks... If you dont lose drop calories by 250 then test for another two weeks, and see if you drop.

and thank you.. I used to look like shrek =X lol

Thanks for the advice :) and thanks for not looking into my diary and noticing that I have been eating 2+ cupcakes a day.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options

He tells you to never eat under your BMR. Thats why its not working.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Stop concerning yourself with only the scale and focus on what you actually look like/body composition.
  • porscheparcher
    Options
    What is your workout routine exactly and what are you doing in regards to nutrition? What kinds of things are you eating? Maybe you should eat more. Cutting calories isn't always the right choice. It just depends on what your goals are as well! Best of luck! :)
  • ItsDiana
    Options
    Thanks all!

In a normal week I work out 3x 60 minutes, and I walk at least 30 minutes daily. And I try to eat different things every day, to prevent my body getting used to certain foods...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks all!

In a normal week I work out 3x 60 minutes, and I walk at least 30 minutes daily. And I try to eat different things every day, to prevent my body getting used to certain foods...

Try incorporating weight training if you can. It's much better for fat loss.