Running in the dark

Options

Replies

• JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    Options
    I find that those who run at night without some sort of reflective gear or lighting of some kind are usually being chased by the po-po :)
  • JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    Options
    IF im running the police lights will illuminate my path

hahaha I am often the one behind someone being illuminated by such lighting in the foot pursuit.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I run in the early mornings - and LOVE it!! There's a small park near me that I just run cirlces/8s around, so I don't have to worry about traffic. Even the walk there and back only crosses little neighborhood streets, no busy roads. I've run on roads in the dark before, and I have reflective straps to wear during those runs. I do wear a headlamp, since not all of the park is lit, and I do carry a whistle on a stretchy wrist strap, just in case. There is a busy road along one side, and the park is surrounded by a gas station, a church, and an elementary school - so I'm pretty confident that if I have to blow that whistle, someone will be able to respond pretty quick!
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    I actually love running in the dark. I bought a reflective vest at the Home Depot. It's really calming to me and gives me time to reflect.
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    If you don't mind running on a track at least for this time of year, you should check with local middle/high schools or a college. I run at a football stadium at night and the lights are on and other people are always out there as well. I've gone to high school tracks before too. The scenery isn't as nice and your are just running in circles but you can still get in a good workout even though it's dark out.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Find a running group to run with - safety in numbers and all that.
  • Haikukitty
    Options
    I love to walk and jog in the dark - but if you live in an area where you don't feel safe doing that, then what about bringing your running clothes to work, changing at the end of the day, and running before you drive home?

Then when you DO get home, you'll be done and can save that time you'd have spent getting home running before dark.

I almost took a job in Rockville, seems like there's a lot of traffic and people around all of the time, though. Although I'm hardly familiar with all of it!

Mia
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    My husband likes to run on rural roads. Although he doesn't do it at night I do worry about him. It was recommended that he wear an ID bracelet with contact information in case something should happen to him. Could be a trip and fall or hit by a car ...

Good advice for all you night runners.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips i'm trying to start runnng but iffy because of the dark. i'll have to invest in a headlamp!
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One time i was almost ran over by herd of about 10 deer, That scared the crap out of me. Other than that I love running in the dark.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips i'm trying to start runnng but iffy because of the dark. i'll have to invest in a headlamp!
    I got a pretty fair one at Wal-Mart for $15. There are better lamps but this one works just fine and it stays in place when I run.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I bought a reflective vest at the Home Depot. It's really calming to me and gives me time to reflect.

Bwaaa haa! That was pun-tastic.
  • LarryHG
    LarryHG Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Headlamp and reflective vest. I put a red flasher on the back of my headlamp too. Looks pretty stupid, but not as stupid as getting run over.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering this myself... But I think I'm personally going to be okay running in the dark. Even though the sun rises later, the hour or so before dawn isn't pitch dark, you can still see well enough. Running at lunch isn't a bad idea either (unfortunately it might mean smelling a little). Maybe try a pre-dawn run? I bet it's not that bad. Also night vision goggles 8-)
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I run at night but I stick to the sidewalks. Also, my gym is part of a hospital and the complex has a sidewalk going around it that is a little over a mile. I often run that when it's dark, snowy and icy. They keep it clean all winter long, it's well lit, and it's open to the public. So look for a hospital or corporation with something similar.
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with this same problem too. I know a lot of the local high schools near me light their tracks at night specifically because they let the community come use it during the off season. maybe you can find one too?
  • BeautyisBeingU
    BeautyisBeingU Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I enjoying running at night but the bats flying around my head, helped me in making my decision. Back to the gym I go!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I love running in the dark, but I have gotten nervous a few times...

I used to run the 'block' by my place in the country. Very secluded, only residents used the road. One time a vehicle with tinted windows passed me three times very slowly. I started wondering about going into a neighbors drive.

The other time was when I damn near crossed paths with a skunk. He started running towards me. I was faster. lol

I love the stars, the smells of the night air, the briskness. Not a fan of the fear of ending up in someone's trunk... but I do have my cell phone in case that happens.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I love the stars, the smells of the night air, the briskness. Not a fan of the fear of ending up in someone's trunk... but I do have my cell phone in case that happens.

Hopefully your cell phone has a knife that folds out. Okay that would be awesome
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have an idea switch your running outside to running the stairs. If you have stairs within your home or even at work... Trust me this will help. I use to walk 5 flights of stairs at my old job for 5 minutes every hour but not everyday and by the springtime the weight start falling off of me. Everyone was saying how I was losing weight and fast but I didn't realize it and I totally forgot I was walking the stairs.

But imagine if you do it daily for at least 15 - 20 mins - trust me it's a great workout....

Fantastic idea! Going to start doing this here where I work.

I have the same trouble with the night time, and even with reflective gear or a headlamp, I'd be just leery at being out at night by myself and I do live in a good neighborhood. I like the suggestion that someone gave of doing the jog at a school track, but I will most likely go indoors this winter until I can get back out in the day.
    Good luck!