Breakfast: Carb Alternatives that ARENT eggs!

Options
13»

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    my daughter is 19 and away at college...so in the mornings she goes to the cafeteria and get bacon, sausage with broccoli (yeah I guess they have it that early!) she does have some hash brown but swears just a few bites.

she loves her carbs, but knows not to eat too many.

So how about the breakfast meats without the eggs and bread that usually go with them?

Good luck..... college cafeterias and eating at fast food places are hard sometimes! Just stay aware and smart!

"knows not to eat too many"? What's wrong with them? I can't imagine sausage is any healthier than a bagel.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt and throw about 1/4 cup of Honey Bunches Of Oats on top...Super Yum....
  • Jas51
    Jas51 Posts: 2
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I concentrate on pulses ie beans etc
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Low carb whole wheat tortillas (Mission Carb Balance)
    Over easy egg
    Sprankle of feta cheese
    Sliced/cubed avocado
    Picante sauce

HOLY CRAP ITS AMAZING

Edited when I remembered no eggs...???? If it's the yolks you have issues with, I have also done this with scrambled whites. Still awesome. If it's eggs in general, ignore my entire post. :-P
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Whey protein pancakes!!
  • DenaTonna
    Options
    The best protein pancakes ever!

Equal parts of egg whites, cottage cheese, quick oats and blend in the blender until smooth. Super high protein, low fat! feel free to add maple flavour, cinnamon, etc.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    protein shake -- 1-2 cups of berries (any type) or add peaches - which are all low glycemic, 1-2 cups of spinach or mixed greens, 1 scoop of protein powder (I use hemp powder or plant fusion), 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or other milk), 1/2 cup of water & 2 tsp of raw almond butter

poached fruit with cottage cheese -- 1 medium pear & 1 small apple (both low glycemic); nuke in the microwave for a minute or two with cinnamon (until it gets gooey); add in 3/4 - 1 cup of 1 or 2% cottage cheese and 1 TBSP walnuts
  • msmarieann
    Options
    Quinoa "oatmeal"
    Avocado
    Coconut flour (awesome for making biscuits, pancakes, etc)
    Agave Nectar (low GI/doesn't taste like *kitten*)
    Coconut Sugar (lower GI/doesn't taste like *kitten* even more so)
    Zucchini Pasta (check out my blog)
    Hummus
    Beans
    Veg

How much carbs are you eating right now?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Protein Shakes made with almond milk!

I second this notion. I add heavy cream to mine to actually make it a meal, but if you're avoiding cholesterol, then yeah, that probably wouldn't work. Alternately I like to add unsweetened cocoa and peanut butter to my shake as well.
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ener-G Gluten Free Egg replacers.

Tofu is a great one. You can Make Eggless Egg salad or "Egg" scrambles. I get all my ideas from PETA's website. If you want to lower your cholestoral and harm less creatures in the process, looking up vegan alternatives is you best bet.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    BUMP! Extra points if they are meat free (for me anyway :)

Scrambled tofu w/ veggies.
  • sekoslow
    Options
    A breakfast burrito is always a choice. There are low carb small tortillas you can buy. Then cook your eggs with a little onions and peppers. The veggie bulk is helpful. I also slice fresh tomatoe on the top and give myself a sprinkle of shreaded cheese. Very good option for something different.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and jelly sandwich made on toasted whole wheat
    cottage cheese
    Fage nonfat plain greek yogurt
    string cheese
    cuppa milk, cuppa almond milk
    chicken sausage without nitrates - Aidells are good
    water
    fresh carrot juice
    bananas
    almonds
    toast with slice of lowfat turkey breast - again, without nitrates if you can find it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Just lower the amounts of those things you are eating. Why cut them out completely?
    the OP did say 'lowering' and not 'cutting them out completely.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I usually do protein shakes.
    some "milk" (cow, soy, rice, usually almond though)
    Egg White Protein
    Berries
    1/2 banana

exxtras- sometimes a little peabut butter or choclate

flax or chia seeds

all in the blender.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Recently discovered that turkey salami, microwaved until crisp, tastes a lot like bacon.

I eat melon and protein for breakfast. Protein usually in the form of crabsticks, turkey coldcuts or the dreaded boiled eggs.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Smoothies... I use milk, yogurt, avocado, nuts (almonds or walnuts), and frozen fruit... or milk, yogurt, avocado, pureed pumpkin, pie spice, walnuts.
    I use whole milk and whole milk yogurt... the healthy fats will keep you full longer and less likely to be starving by lunch.

With a magic bullet type blender it's easy to toss together the night before and have in the fridge ready to go in the a.m.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I ran into this challenge too - and eggs are just so darned quick/easy. So I've moved on to:
    --real egg whites (in a carton-faster) + grated cheese
    --BACON!! - I found a brand where the center cut variety is only 70 calories for 3 pieces of real bacon. Bliss.
    --the hot turkey sausage links are tasty and reheat pretty well. So I cook them all at once.
    --leftover chicken/steak/whathaveyou

Oh, and the positive impact of protein @ breakfast (no 10am "I'm pulling this meeting over so I can eat now!") is sooooo important to me, that I've even swilled down protein powder in a cup of water. Awesome tasting? No, but sometimes I just don't have time to fuss.

Thanks for posting this, btw - it's been good to see all the other ideas!
  • Mabuhay1
    Mabuhay1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything for breakfast. I sometimes have leftover steak and veggies w/ an egg. Smoked salmon spread with cream cheese and wrapped around steamed asparagus. Protein shakes w/ fruit and/or greens. Banana or apple w/ nut butter. Apple/oatmeal crisp.

That is what I have done this morning. I felt like eating left-over rice and chicken for breakfast. I am still full and more than likely will hv very light lunch. Cheers
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    The "cholesterol" in eggs is mostly omegas, eggs are good for you.

yeah - I just gotta add here that dietary cholesterol is NOT what shows up in high blood cholesterol testing. If you've got high cholesterol number via blood tests , then most likely the higher carb foods are playing their part by inflaming your circulatory system...thus producing higher blood cholesterol. BUT, it is NOT your dietary cholesterol that is doing it!

Egg yolks do have cholesterol, which isn't bad, your body needs it! If you don't eat enough of it, you body will make more!

Eggs also have many other micro-nutrients and amino acids that your brain cells utilize :-)

Google around for this research, it is fascinating!

I have researched this and I know this but I'm living at home with my dad and he is against egg yolks, but all for egg whites. I'm against arguing small things and living peacefully, so if it's that big of a deal, then no eggs

OH~ sorry! I truly don't want to step on your toes! Part of me wants to say " Tell your Dad to do some more research cause he's got some MORE to learn!" ....Part of me feels for you! So, how about breakfast meats? Or Chicken, Turkey, Fish?

Anyway Good Luck!

Be YOUR OWN WOMAN!