PMS = Binging. Please help!

Options
13»

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First off...log it all! Not writing this stuff down just means you're cheating yourself! If you're ashamed and don't want others to see, just make your diary private. It's no one else's business but yours anyway.

I allow myself to go over a couple hundred calories when I'm PMSing because it's the only way I can make it through. A couple of days of that isn't going to derail your progress much anyway. And I agree with those that say give in to those cravings - within reason. If you keep thinking I can't have this or that, you will snap and eat everything in sight. Better to figure out exactly what it is you need and go for that one thing. For me, it's the giant chocolate chip cookies they sell in the cafeteria in my office - they're so damn good, especially first thing in the morning when they're still warm and gooey...oh sorry, that probably doesn't help you... :flowerforyou:

Be as good as you can the rest of the day and keep exercising.
  • Toninbremen
    Options
    OMG I hate PMS binging!!!!
    I always joke (but am like 1/2 serious) that I want..... wait for it, its so nasty to type out for other to see, lol..... chocolate covered potato chips deep fried in beer batter and wing sauce then dunked in ranch and OH YUM, a huge mountain dew to wash it down with, when it's PMS time!!!

I am TRYING to not have any tempting foods in the house when it's time. And I always have that "not satisfied" feeling after, like "no that wasn't what I craved, lemme try this...." a few chips, a hand full of chocolate chips, a couple left over tater tots from the kids, etc... it all adds up!!!!

And the worse is, you feel like a PIG, you get moody, your skin (at-least mine) is NASTY and not to mention the "yuck " that just comes w having your period!!! You just feel frumpy and gross, It just sucks in general!!!

The good news is it usually only lasts a few days.... I always like starting out those next days after, with a awesome workout, a nice long shower, maybe some new soap or lotion, doing my hair and make up, and if I feel like Im looking THAT good maybe even one of those ridiculousness self photo on facebook =o)

Best of luck to ya!! It sucks and sadly we are stuck w it for awhile! =o/
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    When I have a craving (or cramps for that matter) related to TOM, I do pushups, gets my mind off what I'm hungry for and any pain I I might be in. I generally try to drink the same amounts of water because nobody wants to 'retain' any more or feel anymore bloated than usual. Try to attack it from a mental perspective!
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I see the binging question often on here so I wrote an article about it. Hopefully it helps:

http://www.itsrealfit.com/food/how-to-properly-have-a-bingecheat-mealcheat-day-etc/
  • RychelleD
    RychelleD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I buy fat free, sugar free fudgsicles. 40 calories a pop and satisfy a chocolate craving. I heard u burn an extra 100 calories per day while pmsing. Maybe thats why we feel hungrier as well.
  • Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    OMG, I have it the worst!!!! But I'm learning better ways to deal. All I want is chocolate!!!! I buy the fun size whatever is on sale and chocolate the week before, and put three or four in a ziplock bag and give one of my co-workers the big bag. She is SUPER great at her job of chocolate security!! Plus I never have cash for the vending machine and those prices turn me off if I do. Or I just have the indulgent trail mix with white chocolate, milk chocolate, peanut butter chips, almonds, craisins and peanuts.
  • BeckySBowen
    BeckySBowen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    LOL... I was just coming on the post about the same topic! I could eat everything in sight and exercise? What's that? No willpower, no motivation, don't care. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I've got nothing. :tongue:
  • iamaviking007
    iamaviking007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What does TOM, BMR and TDEE mean exactly please?? .......... sorry, I'm still kinda new here, I have an "idea" what TOM is but what does each initial stand for? thanks! :)
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I remember drinking hot peppermint tea would often help
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I just picture that cooke or whatever on my *kitten* LOL cause that's where it's gonna go. No really just try to make clean versions of your favorites, like apple pie? bake an apple with a little brown sugar:smile: ect.. reeses peanut butter cups? almond butter with mini semi sweet chips. goodluck
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! Going forward from now I will log everything and I think that will help a lot. Plus the water and PMS tea. I am re-activating my gym membership tomorrow also so that will help. Tomorrow is a new day and it's going to be great. I think if I work in some chocolate into my calories if I work out, will help too. I do not have my cravings (mostly chocolate, reeses, and such) in the house. I will go out for an errand and pick up a candy bar or two. I'll have to try the almond butter and choc. chips, but I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to control myself....pb & chocolate is my downfall. ;) Thanks everybody!
  • LiqueLique89
    LiqueLique89 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I have these massive craving for sweets right before and salty foods during....i've learned to pick a day and indulge [a little bit]; yesterday was my day for sweets so i allowed myself to have one square of dark chocolate, 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt and 1/2 a slice of pound cake rather than consuming a whole chocolate bar, 2 slices of pound cake and 2 cups of frozen yogurt. Sometimes taking a walk/exercising before you give in can keep cravings from being a must have :wink:
  • bbnder
    bbnder Posts: 3
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is vegetables, particularly raw vegetables. Nothing else makes me feel full. I guess it's the fiber
    . I can binge 3000 calories of anything else and just crave more and more. But a big salad (4 cups or so) puts the breaks on my appetite for a few hours. Maybe it will help you also. Let me know.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Take a 5-HTP supplement. It works wonders for me.

It increases the level of serotonin in your brain and is being used clinically to treat binge eating disorder. It will wipe out your appetite completely, but take it right before bed because it will make you tired ( you'll get a great night's sleep). I get mine for about $5 at Walmart.

Of course, you should never take anything that increases serotonin if you're already on any kind of psychoactive medication.