Chocolate Cravings

Options
Hello everyone!!! I am almost two months post op vsg and majorly craving chocolate!!! I haven't had any chocolate since July before my surgery and pre-op diet on August 13. I mostly eat healthy vsg low carb high protein choices. What do you recommend that I can eat that is chocolate but not too fattening or full of sugar? A chocolate protein bar maybe? Let me know....thanks! Also....I am craving crunchy. Chewing ice and eating low fat crackers with dinner has helped but I want something else like popcorn or similar but a HEALTHY choice. I will not go back to eating my old unhelathy things. What do you recommend?

Replies

• sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I still eat chocolate.. It's something I will not give up, aha!
    Just in moderation though, but at TOTM moderation occasionally goes out the window..

Dark chocolate is lower in calories.

I have on occasion double chocolate breakfast bar that was only 88cals??
  • sekoslow
    Options
    the sugar free plain hersheys bars are actually good. Give it a try it might be just enough to stop the craving. :smile:
  • starfishme81
    starfishme81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I crave chocolate I mix a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder into a cup of fat free vanilla greek yogurt. It takes the edge off and is not too bad. You could probably use regular yogurt too. Good luck!
  • Branok
    Branok Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating a little bit of chocolate would hurt you every now and then
    But when I'm craving chocolate, I like to have a chocolate fudge brownie Clif Bar, or the Chocolate Fudge Almond Clif Bar. The Special K Chocolatey Delight cereal is heavenly too :love:
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Trader Joe's dark chocolate bar. (not sure of the exact name, but something along the lines of Belgium Chocolate, they are always at the checkout). Its not your full size bar, more like a baby chocolate bar. Has 250 calories, very rich and satisfying, and I am not even tempted to open another one, which has always been a problem before. One is enough, sometimes a half will suffice.
  • deadpool10
    deadpool10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat it. That's why we have a calorie counter. It's all about calories in vs calories out and your golden. If you want healthy chocolate get the dark kind, has antioxidants.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Air-popped popcorn and drizzle melted dark chocolate over it. Win-win. Air-popped popcorn is incredibly low in calories and dark chocolate skips a lot of the fat and sugar, but packs a bigger punch in the cocoa department so you don't need as much.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I eat Brookside dark chocolate covered pomegranate. I get at Safeway, near the raisins, but have heard they have large (cheap) bags at Price Club. They are each about the size of a peanut M&M and just a few really do the trick. Let me know what you think.
  • ohmyatom
    Options
    I really like the yogurt idea! I personally dust a little coco powder on sliced banana.
  • MrEyeCandy
    Options
    Silk Almond Milk Dark Chocolate. Small glass after supper and I'm good to go. Love it.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Ideas:

In a food processor put a banana (frozen or fresh) and a few tbsp of cocoa powder. Eat like a pudding (or ice cream if frozen).

Buy some chocolate protein powder and mix with some greek yogurt, milk, banana, nut butter, banana, etc.
  • Wrreck
    Wrreck Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars are pretty good. They've got that crunch you are craving as well as the chocolate in the Oats & Chocolate bar.
  • gemstone29
    Options
    I'm such a chocoholic! you can find lots of online recipies for chocolate based foods to help with cravings without the fat and sugar. I reccomend checking out chocolate covered Katies blog, she has a recipe for making your own sugar free chocolate bar.
    You can also use chocolate flavoured protien powder to make protein cakes or just mix with some low fat milk. Be cearful of you choice of protein powder or any bars as they often have sugar added to them, some protien bars are pretty much just candy bars. Look for a powder that is sugar free and if limit your intake of the bars.
    Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with indulging a chocolate craving but when I do I try to go for something I have made myself as you can then control the sugar intake while still getting your hit.
    You could also check out dashing dish for some recipies that use stevia instead of sugar but it requires a single payment of $5 to get into the member recipeis which are the best ones.
    Hope this helps.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Air-popped popcorn and drizzle melted dark chocolate over it. Win-win. Air-popped popcorn is incredibly low in calories and dark chocolate skips a lot of the fat and sugar, but packs a bigger punch in the cocoa department so you don't need as much.
    ^this
    You can use herbs and spices on your air popped popcorn too. It is very low calorie.
    For about my first 3 months on MFP, I did not have any candy at all. I read a subject on here in early June about not denying yourself things you really love. Ever since then, I have had 1 piece of Dark Chocolate Dove Promise with caramel and sea salt as the last thing I eat every day. It really is something I look forward to now every day.
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something crunchy, have you looked at the Skinny Cow chocolate clusters?
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I love the Fiber One chocolate brownies for my chocolate fix. only 90 cals and full of fiber.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could ever give chocolate up completely. Fiber one oats and chocolate bar is really good, chocolatey and not bad for you. Also I like Lindt Excellence 70% coca dark chocolate, so yummy. They have 85% which I don't like as much and is fewer calories if you really like dark chocolate maybe that or 90%. I will stick with the 70% and 1 serving is enough to keep me happy for awhile.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    a few coco roasted almonds are goods....also, i love professor zim zam's chocolates. they give me my chocolate fix. they come in dark chocolate and sea salt and dark chocolate and orange. they are 50 calories ea. for .35 oz. So good.
  • tyboskates
    tyboskates Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something crunchy, have you looked at the Skinny Cow chocolate clusters?

Those are so heavenly!!!! I indulge in them once in awhile. You feel like you are eating a very fattening dessert! I need to go out and get more of them. I get the dark chocolate ones.
  • alisonmaynard70
    alisonmaynard70 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

This sounds daggum good!