Chinese Steamed Pork Buns

Options
I am no expert in nutrition and I am not critisising the people who have made the effort to put in all nutritutional figures into the database but Chinese Buns confuse me.

They are made with flour and SOME sugar but not a vast amount (my wife is Chinese so I have a good source), the pork and vegetable inside are not fried or anything before going inside and the buns are steamed.

I am really surprised that one bun averages out at 150-200 cal each. I haven't got sizes or measuremnts and don't want to make a massive issue but I bought 3 this morning with the intentions that they were healthy(ish). Chinese people are eating them everywhere and China is not really known for its obesity though Dirty Donald's, KFC and Burger KIng are attempting to change that.

They are not filling or stodgy, the meat is minimal and if there is little sugar in the dough (it is not sweet) and really don't understand where the calories come from. They taste great by the way.

Replies

• divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing! Maybe the info is as though they were pan-fried, which has oil? I don't know but it does seem really high for a calorie count. Hope someone else can help!!
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    many white processed breads are 120+ for, hopefully, two pieces. It makes sense that the buns, they are a bready product, would add up to 150+ to me.
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    Its not a bun as in a burger bun, its like a little dough ball with a filling. Sorry, I should have been more specific when posting, don't mean to confuse.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia, so I'm not sure how authentic the ones I've had are, but those cals wouldn't surprise me. - they would be about the equivalent of a piece of sweet bread (easily up to 100 cals) and some meat (50 or more cals wouldn't be far off).
    Perhaps the original recipe doesn't have much sugar, but when I've eaten them both the dough and the filling taste sweet to me.

I think they are really tasty, but I wouldn't consider them something healthy - they are just highly processed sweet white bread dough with tasty bbq pork filling.

If you would like a more accurate calorie count, ask your wife for her recipe and put it into the recipe builder feature, then you can get a better idea of how many cals per serve for a more original version - you might be surprised!
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Its not a bun as in a burger bun, its like a little dough ball with a filling. Sorry, I should have been more specific when posting, don't mean to confuse.

yeah no i got it. . :) I just did a quick check of english muffins(120) and gluten free bread(140/2 slices). it just adds up to me. bready items are going to be around that cal count or higher.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am no expert in nutrition and I am not critisising the people who have made the effort to put in all nutritutional figures into the database but Chinese Buns confuse me.

They are made with flour and SOME sugar but not a vast amount (my wife is Chinese so I have a good source), the pork and vegetable inside are not fried or anything before going inside and the buns are steamed.

I am really surprised that one bun averages out at 150-200 cal each. I haven't got sizes or measuremnts and don't want to make a massive issue but I bought 3 this morning with the intentions that they were healthy(ish). Chinese people are eating them everywhere and China is not really known for its obesity though Dirty Donald's, KFC and Burger KIng are attempting to change that.

They are not filling or stodgy, the meat is minimal and if there is little sugar in the dough (it is not sweet) and really don't understand where the calories come from. They taste great by the way.

You realize the logical fallacy of Chinese people aren't really fat and they eat steamed buns so they are kind of healthy right?

Anyways, it would largely depend on the filling, something like Char siu bao would have more cals then a veggie steamed buns
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My husband is chinese, and a cook. I am not surprised in the least. They are extremely "doughy". And then filled.
    Tasty little *kitten*.
  • StevenHaley
    Options

You realize the logical fallacy of Chinese people aren't really fat and they eat steamed buns so they are kind of healthy right?

Anyways, it would largely depend on the filling, something like Char siu bao would have more cals then a veggie steamed buns

Not sure what you mean about the fallacy, please explain. Thanks.
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    I'm in Australia, so I'm not sure how authentic the ones I've had are, but those cals wouldn't surprise me. - they would be about the equivalent of a piece of sweet bread (easily up to 100 cals) and some meat (50 or more cals wouldn't be far off).
    Perhaps the original recipe doesn't have much sugar, but when I've eaten them both the dough and the filling taste sweet to me.

I think they are really tasty, but I wouldn't consider them something healthy - they are just highly processed sweet white bread dough with tasty bbq pork filling.

If you would like a more accurate calorie count, ask your wife for her recipe and put it into the recipe builder feature, then you can get a better idea of how many cals per serve for a more original version - you might be surprised!

Thanks, not sure about the "highly processed" part though as these litte shops make their own, so ingredients would be fresh. The count seeems to be mesuring up now, thanks to all replies. I was just surprised that's all.

I still see them as healthy as all ingredients are fresh and nothing is fried etc...
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    My husband is chinese, and a cook. I am not surprised in the least. They are extremely "doughy". And then filled.
    Tasty little *kitten*.

Thanks, and yes they are tasty little *kitten*. The count just took me by surprise. Again, thanks to all for input. I like this MFP counter as its good to learn new things and you people here are really hopeful. Xie Xie.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the buns are really doughy. Flour is amazingly very calorie dense. Also, if it is the barbeque pork, it is a higher fat content in the pork and they use honey or sweetner on the pork. Mostly the flour is the issue. I've make them from scratch before, and it doesn't surprise me at all any more, but I do enjoy them.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Fair point, I think what I actually mean is "highly refined". The dough is very soft and fluffy and white and must be made of fine white flour and white sugar. So, while you will be getting energy from carbs, there isn't going to be very much nutrition in the dough.
    The filling that I've had is usually a very little bit of meat finely shredded and in a sweet pink sauce - besides a little bit of protein from the meat there won't be much nutrition there either.

So, in my book they are a very tasty snack but aren't going to bring much nutrition into your diet. That doesn't mean I won't eat them, but I would consider them more of a treat, like cake or chocolate rather than a staple food like stir fried veggies, porridge or a chicken and salad sandwich. That's just my perception though.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My son and I LOVE these! We call them Cha-Shu Bun .. or something similar .. pork filled rice buns (made of rice flour I mean).. just as you described.. and they ARE truly divine.

I should go buy a package and see what they state the calorie content is... yummmmm!!
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    My son and I LOVE these! We call them Cha-Shu Bun .. or something similar .. pork filled rice buns (made of rice flour I mean).. just as you described.. and they ARE truly divine.

I should go buy a package and see what they state the calorie content is... yummmmm!!

Its Ok, I'm accepting it and facing the fact. These are little local shop made, no packaging or anything. they can come in a variety of fillings Char Sui Bao being one of my favourites. the ones I had were pork and vegetable (veggies for breakfast? Not bad for me). I will face facts now I know what I'm dealing with. Need to move onto the rest of the Chinese menu now.......

How many calories in chicken's feet anyone? (just kidding, i don't eat them).
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options

agreed
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I lived with a Chinese family for two years. I watched them make those steamed pork filled buns...while they were very tasty....there wasnt much protein in it...and lots of dough....so it wasnt really healthy unless you have just.....one.
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    Fair point, I think what I actually mean is "highly refined". The dough is very soft and fluffy and white and must be made of fine white flour and white sugar. So, while you will be getting energy from carbs, there isn't going to be very much nutrition in the dough.
    The filling that I've had is usually a very little bit of meat finely shredded and in a sweet pink sauce - besides a little bit of protein from the meat there won't be much nutrition there either.

So, in my book they are a very tasty snack but aren't going to bring much nutrition into your diet. That doesn't mean I won't eat them, but I would consider them more of a treat, like cake or chocolate rather than a staple food like stir fried veggies, porridge or a chicken and salad sandwich. That's just my perception though.

I see, yes. I fully understand agree. Thanks for your help.
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    As others have said, the buns are really doughy. Flour is amazingly very calorie dense. Also, if it is the barbeque pork, it is a higher fat content in the pork and they use honey or sweetner on the pork. Mostly the flour is the issue. I've make them from scratch before, and it doesn't surprise me at all any more, but I do enjoy them.

Again, thanks. All is clear now. Really appreciate help from everyone. It can be really tricky here. We don't just sit down with our standard plate and have a serving to eat. Usually 3-4 dishes (depending on size of lunch/dinner) are on the table and you pick at each (like a mini buffet). Even at home its similar so its hard to know exactly what you consume but I try and watch my intake.

Cheers all.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Its Ok, I'm accepting it and facing the fact. These are little local shop made, no packaging or anything. they can come in a variety of fillings Char Sui Bao being one of my favourites. the ones I had were pork and vegetable (veggies for breakfast? Not bad for me). I will face facts now I know what I'm dealing with. Need to move onto the rest of the Chinese menu now.......

Chicken feet, pig feet are in the database. =D

BTW, there are plenty of chubby Chinese.
  • StevenHaley
    Options

Chicken feet, pig feet are in the database. =D

BTW, there are plenty of chubby Chinese.

Are they? That's funny. I will check them out.

And yes, I know there are still plenty of chubby Chinese people (no matter where they live). I live in China though and generally speaking; for the amount of people here you don't see many obese people.