Insulin Resistant go on diet or risk Diabities

Options
Hi over a week and a half ago i went to a Dietitian as I had been having problems losing weight. no matter how much i exercised. I have PCOS so have problems with weight gain and losing weight. slow metabolism. I was told if i didnt cut out sugars and starch, carbohydrates I would continue to gain weight and at a hight risk of becoming diabetic. This was the kick in the rear end I needed.
I started on the diet, downloaded the myfitnesspal app and recorded my intake, (this was shocking) In a week and a half I have los over 2Kg and feel much better. How have others found dealing with PCOS etc and insulin resistance diet.?

Replies

• jtakingcareofherself
    Options
    Investigate Ideal Protein! it's a low carb weight loss method that will reset your pancreas and get you releasing the correct amount of insulin again. Good luck and all the best.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! I see good things in your future! Congrats for making the change. :flowerforyou:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few groups on here with PCOS folks. Check out the Groups section of the Community tab. Just type PCOS in the search box and all the different groups will come up. Tons of support!
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Oh yes - by controlling the amount of carbs you take in you can control your bodys insulin. Simple carbs (sugar, flour, potatoes) all have a high glycemic index. Go for the lower starch veggies - green & wax beans, brocilli, cauliflo, lettuces. They will fill you up without the starch. Lean proteins take longer for your body to digest - so you will not be so hungry. Best wishes on your journey of weight loss. You will be amazed at how much better you feel when you feed yourself well.

Debbie
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic with PCOS in September 2010. That too was my kick up the bum!

I am prescribed Dianette and Metformin, but am incredibly dubious with regard to their benefits.

I basically controlled my portion sizes (I have an obscenely huge appetite), cut down rather than cut out refined carbohydrates, and exercised my behind off.

Now I'm at goal, I am a little less restrictive with my diet but still exercise for at least an hour every day.

All the best with your weight loss, and congratulations on the steps in the right direction :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My niece developed gestational diabetes that became type 2 diabetes, sometimes referred to as insulin resistance because the body produces insulin but can't properly use it.
    She was put on a low carb (100g per day) high fat diet. Within 6 months she was no longer clinically diabetic. And she has lost weight.

My own experience with low carb high fat is that I went from being pre-diabetic with high cholesterol to normal blood glucose and well below the max, a 30% drop in cholesterol and triglycerides. Since June of 2011 I am down 50+ pounds.

Everyone is different. But I can tell you it has worked for me. The best part is that I don't have to change what I eat when I get to my goal weight. Lower weight won't magically allow me to tolerate carb rich food again.
    It took about 3 weeks for the cravings to go away. I'll still have some whole grain crackers if I am too far below my carb goal at the end of the day. Sometimes I'll have a home made whole wheat pancake. But I do limit these.

If a medical professional is telling you to cut carbs, it is probably advisable since it is extremely rare for any establishment trained nutritionist to even admit that low carb is a valid food plan.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Reducing calories, reducing carbs and exercise are generally effective for increasing insulin sensitivity. You refered to "no matter how much exercise I do". Type of exercise can make a difference in this also. Exercise that burns off glycogen helps. That generally means moderate to high intensity. What are you currently doing for exercise?
  • Kim1731
    Kim1731 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I was told to go on a high protein, higher fat, low carb (carbs from veggies) I forgot to ask what amounts I should be following. Are you willing to share what your targets are for carbs, protein, and fats? I plan on asking the doctor but have not had a chance to talk with her again.
  • MelissaMcGinn
    Options
    I have PCOS and take metformin. I have prediabetes and I know it's around the corner. I plan to juice as soon as my aunt brings me her juicer. I saw the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, really got my crying.

My brother and his wif'e's family are all Paleo eaters, but they invited me to Red Robin tomorrow night. I have it down where I can get a teryaki chicken burger without the bun, but there's the fries, the mayo and all the temptations. And then my family is going to Famous Dave's BBQ Friday night!! When will it end. P.s. It's Wednesday and my husband took me out to dinner for italian. I can't get a break. Food is all around me and I just want to give in to it. I just want to give up and let the food take control of me, but I know it's killing me. I know I can't give in. It's like a slow suicide and I don't want to think that way.

I need the strength and courage to say no and to stick to inputting everything into myfitnesspal.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and take metformin. I have prediabetes and I know it's around the corner. I plan to juice as soon as my aunt brings me her juicer.

Vita-mix it much better. Juicers strip away up to 90% of the nutrients.
    With the vita-mix, you can create all sorts of drinkable concoctions We've had one for over a decade. They really last. And they absolutely pulverize the seeds, greens and skins where the majority of the nutrients are.
    Apple seeds contain b-complex vitamins as well as trace amounts of arsenic that is beneficial to the immune system. Cantaloupe seeds contain more protein per ounce than beef. So if you like Cantaloupe, scoop the seeds into your breakfast smoothy too.
    I use ours to make fresh uncooked pepper sauces with only what I want to put in there. No preservatives or chemical additives.
    In the summer, a mix of fresh and frozen fruit makes great sorbet or frozen drinks for a hot day.
    We make our own hummus too.
    Vita-mix is also used in Hell's Kitchen :glasses:
    You will get a lot more use and nutrition out of a vita-mix than any juicer.
    With the dry container you can make your own flour from whatever grains you choose.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    When I was told to go on a high protein, higher fat, low carb (carbs from veggies) I forgot to ask what amounts I should be following. Are you willing to share what your targets are for carbs, protein, and fats? I plan on asking the doctor but have not had a chance to talk with her again.

Something like 100g protein, 100g or less of carbs and the rest fats. That's 400, 400 and the rest calories as oils and fats.

At 1200 calories it's 33 / 33 / 34
    At 1600 it's 25 / 25 / 50
    and so on
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Reducing calories, reducing carbs and exercise are generally effective for increasing insulin sensitivity. You refered to "no matter how much exercise I do". Type of exercise can make a difference in this also. Exercise that burns off glycogen helps. That generally means moderate to high intensity. What are you currently doing for exercise?

I want to expand on this. Resistance training will play a key role as it can improve insulin resistance. This combined with a high protein diet (like a primal or paleo diet as an option) can be very beneficial. Going paleo has been the only thing that has helped my wife to start to lose weight.
  • fattofit20
    Options

I want to expand on this. Resistance training will play a key role as it can improve insulin resistance. This combined with a high protein diet (like a primal or paleo diet as an option) can be very beneficial. Going paleo has been the only thing that has helped my wife to start to lose weight.

Thanks for the info psulemon. I have just been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and have no real clue what I should or shouldn't be doing. I've only been learning from the internet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thanks for the info psulemon. I have just been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and have no real clue what I should or shouldn't be doing. I've only been learning from the internet.

Let me expand, you also want a small calorie deficit as too large of one can lead to catabolization of lean body mass (aka lose more muscle) and LBM is what controls insulin.
  • itsmyhealth
    itsmyhealth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a bit of a late-comer to the conversation but I noticed the talk of exercise and resistance exercise. What does this mean? I know moderate to high intensity is best but can't any exercise be that kind of intensity? I prefer to do yoga and floor exercises but I'm working up a sweat within five minutes. Does this count? I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere! Thanks :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a bit of a late-comer to the conversation but I noticed the talk of exercise and resistance exercise. What does this mean? I know moderate to high intensity is best but can't any exercise be that kind of intensity? I prefer to do yoga and floor exercises but I'm working up a sweat within five minutes. Does this count? I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere! Thanks :)

Yoga is considered a mild resistance exercise. If the floor exercises you are doing are body weight exercises and are strenous for you they might possible have enough resistance. psulemon is likely talking about weight training. The idea isn't nessesarily to work up a sweat, although that may happen. The idea is to utilized the stored glycogen (glucose based muscle energy) and cause some depletion of it. This sets in motion a chain of reactions that can increase your insulin sensitivity. Light weights and high reps would not accomplish as well as moderate to heavy (for you) weight and low (3 to 5) or moderate (6 to 12) reps.