How many times a week works for you?

Options
My husband and I have a wager and I would like to win :D. Only 8 more pounds to go and I have a question about how often everyone else works out. Do you usually work out every day? A few days a week? Do you mix heavy, cardio/weight days with lighter workouts? What optimizes your weight loss/progress for you?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I weight train 4 days per week, elliptical 2, random other misc crap thrown in whenever I have time. However, weight loss is a secondary concern for me, so what I do may not be of but so much use to you anyway.

Monday: Chest, Arms, Shoulders, Cardio
    Wednesday: Back
    Friday: Shoulders, Chest, Arms, Cardio
    Saturday: Legs

I tend to lift as heavy as my body can stand, as I am still getting through the 'noob gains' phase.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I work out 4-5 times a week. Sometimes 6. 4 of those days are weight lifting (alternating upper and lower body days) and the other two are cardio and ab focused days. On the weight training days I usually warm up with a 1 mile run. Had success so far!
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention rest days! I always try to have 1-2 rest days...but it varies depending on the business of the week :)
  • jagspal
    jagspal Posts: 75
    Options
    I try to mix it up with kickboxing boot camp and different light weights, ideally four days, for my schedule allows.The eliptical when I am not free at a class time. Good luck with that last eight!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Every Day works for me. I do Strength Training 3-4 Days and Cardio - Bike &/or Treadmill - 2-3 Days. Sundays
    And, I walk EVERY Night.
  • kyes31
    kyes31 Posts: 9
    Options
    Monday to Friday I go to the gym 10 times a week I do classes from Sh'bam, THT (tummy hips & thighs), Body combat, Body pump, Boxing, Body Attack, Body Balance & personal training I also usually fit in swimming 4-5 times a week & possible walk a couple of times a week
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Run 3x a week

Strength train 2x a week

Hike 1x a week

We also have a new puppy who gets walked daily but I don't count that. We are still working on him not eating his leash/getting distracted, lol
  • lmunro5394
    lmunro5394 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Strength training 2-3 times a week
    Zumba 3 days a week
    Run 3 days a week
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym 3-4x/week. I lift for about an hour each time. If I feel like it, I'll do 15-30min of cardio after.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    4 weight sessions per week, one short interval training (cardio) session and one long cardio session (usually a long walk/jog).
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just upper my weight training to 5 days a week dropped my cardio to two days pretty short sessions like 20 minutes walking up and down stairs or elliptical.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I try to work out at least 5 days a week, usually 6. Sometimes I want to do 7 but I force myself to take a rest day. My problem is that if I miss even one or two days of exercise, I'll get lazy and think it's okay to stop. So I have to do it almost every day to stay on track!

I do heavy strength training three days a week and cardio five days a week. I switch up the cardio a lot... kickboxing, hip hop dancing, jogging, biking, swimming, elliptical, you name it!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I do weights 3 x per week, and try to fit in 3 cardio session (usually a run) per week on non-weight days. I don't always make the runs though :-(

As to what optimizes it - for me, I'm still learning. Right now, I'm just trying to maintain my weight, and improve my cardio fitness and strength. Looking better helps too!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    The habit I'm working on is 6 days of cardio a week, for a minimum of 30-40 minutes. Next step will be 3 days of strength training w/ situps, pushups & crunches. As I'm just starting my weight loss journey, I'm starting slow, and making new habits that I can sustain for life.
  • djmauck
    djmauck Posts: 18
    Options
    5 days a week. Two days are heavy weight lifting using compound exercises (squat, press, bench press and deadlift), and I do three one-hour Muay Thai classes. If I have the time every now and then I'll throw in an extra Muay Thai session.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I work out 4-6 days a week, most often 5. I do cardio every time (alternating between treadmill and recumbent bike) and used to concentrate on isolation lifting exercises (abs on Monday, chest on Tuesday, back on Wednesday, biceps/triceps on Thursday, shoulders and legs on Friday or Saturday) but I met with a trainer last week and I'm a new functional exercise program that incorporates multiple muscle groups and HIIT. I'm definitely noticing a difference!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Just switched my schedule to an Upper/Lower split, so my workout week usually looks something like this:

SUN-Lower Body
    MON-Upper Body (Heavy 5x5)
    TUES-Cardio/Abs
    WEDS-OFF
    THURS-Lower Body
    FRI-Upper Body (Hypertrophy)
    SAT-Abs

Lifting sessions are no more than an hour; cardio 20-30 minutes.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    5 days. 4 weights 1 cardio, starting next week it will drop to 4, 3 strength and 1 cardio
  • ludeo
    ludeo Posts: 75
    Options
    usually try for 3-4 on my holiday breaks i can get in 4-5 and that works better
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

4 x strength training (inc 1 hour with PT) plus cardio (cross trainer / rowing machine / stationary bike) or swimming or LBT
    1 x cardio inc step class
    1 x run 5.5 miles