Low Calorie Lasagna? Need Help!

Options
dramaqueen0619
dramaqueen0619 Posts: 32 Member
I am making a lasagna for some friends on Saturday and want some ideas on how to make it low calorie. If you have recipes and calorie count that would be great!!

Replies

• km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    One of the biggest problems with lasagna is the pasta. All pasta is high calorie. You could try it with sliced squash in place of the noodles. It has the same texture, a lot less calories, and a lot more vitamins.
    I am not a big cheese fan, but I know there are some alternatives for the cheese (I just can't think of them off the top of my head)
    Good Luck!
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    First off you need to divulge your culinary talent level, are you a stouffer's cook, or do you know your way around some food? In the interest of saving time I'm going to assume you know the basics...

Calorie saver 1: MAKE YOUR OWN MARINARA. Seriously this is a sauce everyone ought to know how to make...if you need a recipie for a good one just post here, I'll check back and give you mine if necessary

Calorie saver 2: use 90/10 ground sirloin from a reputable meat purveyor...if you can get this it is a great compromise between flavor and lean clean meat.

Calorie saver 3: 86 most of the cheese...yeah you heard me...trust me, we can still make it very tasty...fresh grate some Parmesan cheese (just enough to have a light sprinkle for each layer) and sprinkle the top of that with powdered milk (I use powdered goats milk but regular is fine) this not only helps keep the calories down, but also helps keep the moisture content down so the lasagna holds its shape better for service, and the parmesan cheese is strong enough to still give you that cheesy flavor without a ton of calories.

Calorie saver 4: VEGGIES!!! Make sure to put some veggies in there, it helps fill the dish, and they're delicious. Some of the usual suspects in mine are fresh baby spinach, thinly sliced portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced zucchini, and thinly sliced eggplant just to name a few...the proper way to use these is to slice them (no more than 1/4" thick) then sprinkle with some salt and toss to coat and allow to sit in a collandar for about 10 min to pull out excess moisture spin in a salad spinner or pat gently with a paper towel afterwards for extra moisture removal.

As for the pasta...yeah it's high calorie, but realistically you're making 4 servings out of about 2 noodles (depending on how many layers, and the size of the portion) so it doesn't really matter as much as you might think.

Hope this helps :-)

Edit: PS...not knocking the other guys veggie noodle replacement idea, but the swap makes for a very soggy final product with no real mouth feel...may as well be making old people food...like I said 4 portions from 2 noodles so essentially you really need only ask yourself how many calories are in half of one lasagna noodle? And is that significant enough to sacrifice quality?
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Saw this version on a TV show http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagne_87277
    Basically, the main calorie saver is replacing pasta with leek layers, + veg +mushrooms +spices
    Did not try, heard mixed reviews, but the guys are awesome - and they love their food, so I'd be surprised if it turned out bland.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com. "world's best lasagna" start with that basic recipe, each serving is almost 500 cals.
    Wait... Hear me out!

Swap out half the italian sausage with lean ground beef. Cook separately. Mix later.
    **save the pork drippings.
    Make your own sauce (there is a recipe on there that rocks, calls for a bit of wine.)
    And stewed tomatoes. That you'll eventually put in the blender. Use some roma tomatoes in this.
    If you find your sauce too thin, add more tomato paste and continue simmering it down.
    You want to make this sauce ahead of time if you can.
    The poster above mentioned adding in extra veggies. I use baby portabeloes asss they're much smaller, egg plant because it has a meatier texture, olives, and onions. Sautee all of these in a small portion of the pork dripping but not for too long.

Swap out 1/2 the soft cheese for low fat, small curd, drained cottage cheese. If you place the container upside down
    It's easier to drain. Mix the 2 cheeses well and season to death with Italian seasonings.
    Cook the noodles al'dente before assembling. If you're making it the night before (i highly suggest this)
    Cook the noodles a lttle less. This method will easily save you a good deal of calories, but not skimp too much on flavor. Good luck!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Lean ground turkey substitutes wonderfully for the ground beef. Perhaps cut back a little on the pasta and cheese and add in more veggies. Portobello mushrooms chopped up, zucchini sliced up are wonderful in Italian recipes.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Also, save yourself the hassle and buy. A disposable lasagna pan. It's 2$ and if you have pam, spray the tinfoil before you wrap it.

To spread the soft cheese, put it in a zip lock bag and cut the tip off. Make sure it's at room temp!

Don't skimp on the amount of soft cheese, it's what holds it together. So really drain the cottage cheese.

Thanks for the inspiration, i have company coming and was wondering what to make! Now i know!
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options

No pasta lasagne

Makes 6 serves (267 cals 32P/14C/8F)

Ingredients
    500g mince meat
    500g zucchini
    1 jar of pasta sauce
    150g sour cream
    300g low fat cottage cheese
    250g mixed veggies
    4 egg whites
    75g low fat cheese (mozzarella would be best)

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 180c(375f)
    2. Slice zucchini into thin slices
    3. Brown mince meat. Drain & set aside.
    4. Nuke frozen veggies
    5. In a bowl mix sour cream, cottage cheese, egg and veggies
    6. Mix mince with pasta sauce.
    7. Spray a baking pan and start layering. (zucchini, white mix, meat, zucchini etc. etc.)
    8. Cover the top with adequate cheese
    9. Cover with foil and bake for 45 mins and then remove the foil and bake for another 10min or so.

11%2B-%2B1
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Use quark to make the sauce for the topping , use a little milk to thin it out, sprinkle with Parmesan
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hairy Dieters FTW!

They replace pasta with blanched leeks and it rocks! They also calorie reduced the bechamel sauce and seriously, it was soooo yum. I think you can make your own vaaiation of the filling - I made a meditteranean veg filling - but used the leeks and the sauce and it was a total success

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagne_87277
  • Dormouse85
    Options
    I've followed the Hairy Dieters recipe (linked to above) but used aubergine instead of leeks. I just sprayed the slices (thin slices!) with olive oil mist and roasted in a lowish oven until soft. I suppose it makes it more of a moussaka, but it's still delicious! Otherwise follow the Hairy Boys' recipe - really tasty and wonderful.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Rather than making a bechemal sauce you can also sprinkle some grated parmesan and low fat mozzarella over each layer.

Also, if your lasagne dish is big enough for, say, 6 servings, make it 8 instead. Instead calorie reduction! Serve it with a nice green salad and no one will feel like they're missing out!
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Lean meat and wholewheat pasta. Low-fat cheese, too. Or make it vegetarian?
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    im not sure i could ever do it without the pasta :| (love pasta) but... a wholewheat pasta and you could put less layers of pasta without anyone noticing ;)
    lots of veggies to bulk it up, nice mince, or if you want to get really fancy about it a nice cut of meat and mince it yourself (my nanny used to do this)
    tomato sauce i think your fine
    but i think the big problem is the white sauce.. did a google... found this - http://www.tarladalal.com/White-Sauce-(-Low-Calorie-Healthy-Cooking-)-1316r
    i havent tried it but maybe a possible solution? *shrugs*
    x
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    How about going meat free in your lasagna. One of my husbands favorites is a spinach pesto lasagna made in the crock pot. :)
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Saw this version on a TV show http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/skinny_beef_lasagne_87277
    Basically, the main calorie saver is replacing pasta with leek layers, + veg +mushrooms +spices
    Did not try, heard mixed reviews, but the guys are awesome - and they love their food, so I'd be surprised if it turned out bland.
    I was going to say this, look up the hairy dieters ^... I use quorn mince or turkey mince though. Those guys don't do substituting flavour! I've used aubergine too, I think it was a hungry girl recipe.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    With all the options you've been given, I just want to know what you chose to do and how it tasted!! Be sure to post the results.

Enjoy :drinker:
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yum Lasagna! I make lasagna sometimes with whole wheat noodles, sometimes with squash. I do use a pre-made sauce but it is all natural, low sodium, and no extra junk- they are out there you just have to find it:) I agree that you can do so much less cheese and grate some fresh parm on top and accomplish an even better result. I use fresh herbs and garlic in the sauce with low fat cottage cheese and ricotta and have had nothing but good feedback. Sometimes I add in some egg or Laughing cow also. Often I put some plain fat free yogurt in and it makes it creamy and high in protein. One thing- when you fill your lasagna with veggies I recommend sauteing them first to cut down on excess liquid. Good luck!
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    There is an AMAZING lasagna recipe in the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet cookbook. If you don't have this cookbook it is so worth it. My family has loved every single recipe I've tried from this book.

As for the lasagna my family begs for it and a full serving ends up being 292 calories. It's full of veggies (and I don't like veggies) but it is so good.

Shua