Sabotaging myself

Options
Every time I diet, I do this- I sabotage myself, gain back all the weight I lost and then give up completely. I just started dieting and you would think the weight loss and pride would be enough to keep me motivated and away from junk food and social drinking, but I guess it wasn't. Like many, if not most people, I have a very stressful life and it's hard sometimes to remember everything wonderful I have (health, family, etc) and be happy about that. So when the stress hits or the moment to unwind becomes available, I'll have a sweet or an alcoholic beverage. And one then leads to TONS. At first I have a treat to, well treat myself, but after awhile I do it to punish myself. Now here I am, having gained back 1/2 of what I already lost and I don't know what I can do to snap myself out of this self destructive spell. The people on here are so lovely, I'm hoping someone has advice, something to make it *click*. Thank you, in advance :)

Replies

• julesan902
    julesan902 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a bit of an addiction problem. And a little psychiatric issues, as well. If you're doing things to punish yourself, something is not right in your noggin.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I think you need to seek professional help. You have some things you need to work through that you probably don't want to air on a public forum. No shame in seeking a psychologist. Just do your research as with any Drs some are good and some are bad.
  • julieakana
    julieakana Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would not agree with julesan902...this is pretty typical behavior I think. You tend to hear trainers talk about getting at the REAL issue behind the weight gain. I would guess this is your issue...you really haven't gotten to the bottom of why you are eating too much. It's the same story with me. I'm yet again losing weight that I had once lost 5 years ago. I get stressed, unable to cope, then I eat. Some things I am doing to help is to keep a picture of me on the fridge at my goal weight. I'm also telling everyone around me that I'm working to lose weight. Also, reframing the stress response is important, so I've been taking a walk with my dog rather than eating when I'm feeling overwhelmed...also been brushing my teeth when the urge hits to eat. Good luck!!!
  • swagner73
    swagner73 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Girl, I'm in the same boat. EVERY SINGLE TIME, I sabotage myself. I have learned over the years & through my many Psychology classes, that I have an obsessive compulsive personality disorder. I also have a touch of ADHD. Once I realized what my triggers were, I was better able to control it -- not completely, I still haven't figured that out -- but to an extent, which has been helpful. Not going into my whole life story here, but I have felt unworthy of success, which is why I sabotage myself. Take some time & do some soul searching & find out what triggers you. The poster above me is right, it very well could be pyschological. Talk to some people you trust & take a step back & try to look at your life as an outsider -- it honestly helps.
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have been in this position for many years. I have lost and regained. THere is usually something I believe in your past that you have not dealt with and when something triggers this emotion that makes you grab for food or alcohol or drugs (whatever your addiction is). I have tried to find out what caused my emotioinal eating and because of this I have actually stayed within 10 pds for over a year, which is longest by the way. I am not cured by any means as I still struggle to figure it out and have bad days. Mine is self esteem and I was teased quite often as a young child and that is what my trigger is. You need to find it and one thing you can do is when you are having those moments of wanting to devoure everything in site you need to write down what are you feeling and what happened that day over the others days to make you grab for that. Once you start writing things down you might find out what your trigger is and then you can find another outlet when that occurs. You can friend me if you like and we can talk and I am in the same boat as you. Good luck
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    This is what I used to be like, would lose some then boom...there it came back because of a streak of bad choices. It really comes down to how bad you want it!!...I said to a person one time its like if there was a million dollars for you if you lose a specific amount of weight..would you do it?...of course cause thats an incentive...in this case the incentive is looking better and feeling better and being healthy and happy. There wouldn't be these kinda posts because you'd be motivated and hungry to keep going. I wanted to be an all around better athlete as I was when I was younger...lots have those aspirations but I found a place in my mind where I could make it happen. You need to find your motivation :)...boring workouts can make people lack, if thats the case find something you enjoy doing. Remember you have to enjoy this and not make it a monotonous thing and after that happens everything else will fall into place :)

As far as the eating to punish yourself, well maybe you are however everybody gotta eat and its quite common to turn a craving for a food into a time span of eating bad. You've made a step with this post, it means you want it to change and thats a good thing. Now you need to find it within yourself to be strong and dig deep and take control. You will have lots of great advice, lots of positive comments and support here and some negative sprinkled in there as well. Thing is, this starts with you and only you...take it over and own it :)
  • jlopez9604
    jlopez9604 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been in this position many, many times. I am seeking professional help for it. I used to "punish" myself too and had all sorts of crazy, unrational thoughts about food in general. I was even anorexic for a while. I have to advocate professional help. For me it has come down to one day at time and so far it is working. feel free to add me girl if you wanna talk

much luck :smile:
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I also don't agree that this is some kind of serious addiction behavior. I think that you recognize the problem and are trying to formulate a plan to fix it. What you are talking about sounds just like me, I've been around this block a few times. I find myself "treating" myself as well and somehow it turns into a habit instead of a treat. I think many young women who work find themselves in the same situation trying to balance life and work and be the perfect lady that Western society tells us we should be. I have some suggestions that I have in the last year instituted...
    1) Make treats really treats. They are not for every day. Once a week or even once a month and corresponding to meeting a goal works well.
    2) Don't act like this is the last time you are going to eat or drink something yummy. I tend to really wolf things down if they are good and it's like there's no tomorrow. I tell myself to enjoy it for now but in moderation, there is always another desert or treat later down the road. It helps me not overdo it.
    3) Remind yourself of everything you wrote...maybe post it somewhere you can view it when you are feeling stressed. You'll remember that the bad behavior is not really how you want to live and you'll regret it later. On of my friends and I wrote ourselves notes that we put on the fridge that say "nothing tastes as good as thin feels." I really think to myself then, do I really need to eat or am I just bored or stressed?
    4) Recently I told myself that I was going to stop drinking alcohol for a month. The month is almost up. I've seen that there are other ways to deal with stress that don't involve alcohol. I don't plan on abstaining the whole rest of my life but I think this has given me perspective on some of my choices.
    Good luck, you can do it!
  • carrie564
    carrie564 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people do that. I would make sure to really analyze your "why", though: because if it really is PUNISHING yourself, like you actively are trying to hurt your body, then you do need some kind of psychiatric help.

If you're like most people though, sabatoging yourself is more or less just giving up will power, rationalizing your bad habits. It's telling yourself stuff like: "I had one, I'd might as well have another, it's not THAT bad", "I deserve it after all the weight I lost already", "Being skinny isn't THAT important, I need to enjoy food SOMETIMES", or "I'm just going to pig out tonight because I'm stressed out, but tomorrow I'm back to counting calories!"

So if it's the latter, then you just need to force yourself to have stronger will power. The more you do it the easier it will become. And then it's a lifelong thing you need to endure to the end, and THAT'S how you EARN being skinny. If it were easy, everyone would be skinny. It's just really hard. Especially if you're only slightly heavier than you'd like to be- our bodies aren't made to be rock-solid & super skinny (look at art from the history of mankind), so unless you're seriously killing it every day on workouts and perfect food, your body is always trying to sit at a comfortable weight (usually about 10-15 pounds more than most women hope to be according to today's society's expectations).
  • QueChulaYo
    Options
    I think we over eat for different reasons....mine is when I am bored for instance. for you its comfort?? when you want to relax you reward yourself with treats, sweets and alcohol..... "everyday is a challange" and you have to really try, i mean really really try!!! can you honestly say you have ??? the decision to try is the first step..... everyday you have to set yourself up to make it happen, and be happy at the end of the day with your choices.....and be honest with yourself everyday, all day. keeping track of all your food and maybe your feelings at the time your eating certain things will help....

Your feeling on what you eat, and when you eat them is key! are you happy? if you are not happy with what you are feeling, then support is needed. facing it head it on will get you to the next step, don't be afraid to move forward!
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    Girl, I'm in the same boat. EVERY SINGLE TIME, I sabotage myself. I have learned over the years & through my many Psychology classes, that I have an obsessive compulsive personality disorder. I also have a touch of ADHD. Once I realized what my triggers were, I was better able to control it -- not completely, I still haven't figured that out -- but to an extent, which has been helpful. Not going into my whole life story here, but I have felt unworthy of success, which is why I sabotage myself. Take some time & do some soul searching & find out what triggers you. The poster above me is right, it very well could be pyschological. Talk to some people you trust & take a step back & try to look at your life as an outsider -- it honestly helps.

Thank you to you and the responder right before you. Not that I don't appreciate the other comments, I do, but we all had issues that either lead to the weight gain or the inability to lose it easily. That's why we're here. To say that my issues are psychological but yours (or whom evers) are not, seems a bit, well wrong. But I do acknowledge I too have some OCD and that same "touch" of ADHD. I was taking Adderall for awhile but got off of it and use herbal supplements to try and cope since my case was mild. But I've had these issues long before, or after, the meds. As for what my triggers are, I think it's changed as life has, but there's always something (again- true for most everyone) that's a trigger. Maybe at first it was all the college (11 years and 3 degress to be exact!) or now it's having a family or a business that are both inevitably imperfect. The goal though is to find a mechanism other than food to cope with the stress of whatever maybe happening. The sabotaging tends to only happen after I've blown the diet and am damn disappointed in myself for having done so. I like the idea of keeping that photo nearby as a reminder to get back on the wagon, even if I've fallen off. Trying to keep the image mentally sometimes becomes difficult when images of tasty cupcakes or special edition fall hard cider beer is dancing through my head! Lol
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I've been stuck at the same weight for 3 months now after losing 30 lbs, because I just haven't recommitted. For me it takes a one day at a time attitude, a "what am I going to do today to help get me to my goal?" Losing weight seems like such a large hurdle, an almost overwhelming thing when I think I have ANOTHER 30 lbs to lose, so if I can keep perspective that it is a one day at a time, one meal at a time, one exercise session at a time project that seems to help. I also am treating this as a lifestyle change, not a diet. I eat normal food. I don't buy low-fat or no-fat stuff. I eat margarine and mayonnaise. It's just about trying to make better choices and portion control. And when I lose control and go overboard, it's keeping the perspective that it's okay, we all fail now and again, what is your next decision going to be to move you forward (even beginning with the next meal) and forgiving yourself and moving on.

Others have mentioned taking a step back and re-evaluating things, I would agree. If you're too stressed and busy to take care of yourself, there may be some things in your life that need to be eliminated, or others in your life that may be able to help take some of that burden off of you.

Good luck!
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    I said to a person one time its like if there was a million dollars for you if you lose a specific amount of weight..would you do it?...of course cause thats an incentive...in this case the incentive is looking better and feeling better and being healthy and happy. There wouldn't be these kinda posts because you'd be motivated and hungry to keep going.

You're right. I say that all the time- about the celebrities being paid to lose weight. "Well if they gave me 4 million, I could do it too". Now I also complain about the endless resources and babysitters that they have, but that's not everything. While I can't find time right now to exercise, both myself - and the celebrities - both have the same opportunities to decide what we're putting in our mouths! That was a great post.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    IMO you are being a bit harsh on yourself and beating yourself up about every 'failure'. This then results in more destructive behaviour as you are more liable to reach for comfort food/drinks when you are unhappy. We all have times when a healthy diet is pushed aside due to stress and demands of everyday life, but you need to just move on and strive to do better the next day rather than give yourself a hard time. Weight loss and fitness is a lifestyle change and takes time and there will be success and failures along the way.
  • QueChulaYo
    Options
    [

The sabotaging tends to only happen after I've blown the diet and am damn disappointed in myself for having done so.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ here we go!! start here.^^^^^^

try try try!!! set your day up with what you plan to eat for each meal.... and do you damn best to stick to it! one day at a time. I would love to be of support to you, add me if you want it!
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I said to a person one time its like if there was a million dollars for you if you lose a specific amount of weight..would you do it?...of course cause thats an incentive...in this case the incentive is looking better and feeling better and being healthy and happy. There wouldn't be these kinda posts because you'd be motivated and hungry to keep going.

You're right. I say that all the time- about the celebrities being paid to lose weight. "Well if they gave me 4 million, I could do it too". Now I also complain about the endless resources and babysitters that they have, but that's not everything. While I can't find time right now to exercise, both myself - and the celebrities - both have the same opportunities to decide what we're putting in our mouths! That was a great post.

I will stop you right there just for a second...bear with me please lol...first of all you can find time to exercise. There are mannnyy different types of exercises you can do even with kids. Next do this, when you begin to feel yourself slipping and only you will know think to yourself "no excuses"...babysitters, resources sure celebs got those but you got them too, you just gotta find them. This stuff is hard, very hard but whats life without a little challenge in it. So challenge yourself and each day challenge yourself again and again until eventually its habit. A good habit, one that won't be broken.
  • bearsie84
    bearsie84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat! back on track today, but had a bad week!! I don't know why I do it though!!!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Today's a new day. Keep on keepin' on................
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Try to make the time for some exercise that you enjoy (or at least, don't hate). There are more benefits to this than just for helping with weight loss. For me, the BIGGEST benefit of getting some exercise, has been that it helps reduce my stress level... which in turn, makes me less likely to eat crap to comfort myself.

Vicious circles can go either way - I prefer this type. ;) You can do this!