Stevia is awful

Options

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Try going to Life grocery (Harry's might have it too), look for Kal brand for the Stevia, much less after taste. But I agree xylitol or erythritol is much better for you.

edit: you might like this site, lovely recipes: http://detoxinista.com/recipes/candida-cleansing-recipes/

:flowerforyou:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I don't like stevia in the raw...

I have a small container of powdered stevia.. it's pretty sweet, all you need is this tiny tiny amount. (The scoop they give you is less than a teaspoon) I use it in coffee, oatmeal, etc etc.

We have the big bag of baking stevia but I never have used it in a recipe... I've used the splenda baking one.

Xylitol is pretty good, also!

Don't give up on the recipe though lol, just try it again with a different one =)
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Truvia has mainly Stevia in it but they add an ingredient called Rhebiana that takes the typical bitterness out of the Stevia. In my humble opinion Truvia is the closest thing to actual sugar in taste and consistency that I have tried. I cant recommend it enough.

I have always been hesitant to try Sucrolose because it is basically Chlorinated sugar. Chlorine isn't exactly known for its health benefits:)
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    What was wrong with the taste? I just saw a show and they cooked with it and they said Stevia is sweeter than sugar and to use liquid Stevia.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I make my chocolate avocado mousse using raw organic honey and it comes out delicious!!!! Yes it's sugar, but it's real and mostly unprocessed. It's not something I eat everyday, so I think a little bit is fine in moderation. Mmm, now I'm craving chocolate avocado mousse! :smile:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think it's gross.

Tried many natural sugar substitutes myself. In the end, I just decided to cut back on sugar in general and now I only use the real thing.
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you need to use anything like Stevia or Splenda in a recipe that asks for grms rather than tsp then I think you need the granulated stuff. As the standard powder weighs nothing and you end up putting a ridiculous amount in.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Truvia is amazing. I can't use any other type of sweetener because my body has really bad reactions to the chemicals they use in them, Splenda especially. I get nauseous, I get the shakes, cold sweats, and migraines that make the nausea worse and sometimes cause me to vomit. It's either Truvia or real sugar for me!
  • Jaspr7
    Jaspr7 Posts: 8
    Options
    You might try some different "brands" of stevia until you find one with a flavor you like. They are quite different and it took several tries before I found one that didn't taste vile to me. I'm currently using NuNaturals White Stevia Powder for liquids and NuNaturals MoreFiber Stevia Baking Blend for cooking. In recipes, I find I have to substitute a LOT less of the baking blend than the sugar called for in the recipe. Like everything else, there seems to be a "learning curve" for getting used to the flavor of a new sweetener.

Xylitol has a lovely taste and great cooking properties but causes me terrible gastrointestinal issues. I've also recently read some negative statements about its effects on the human body. Stopped using sucralose (Splenda) because of what I've heard about what it may do to flora in the gut.

Good luck! The search for the perfect sugar alternative goes on. Too bad we can't all just ignore the sweet tooth's demand for dessert and make do with fruit. It just isn't the same, is it?
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Stevia: This non-caloric sweetener comes from a plant and is all-natural. However, beware: There are a ton of stevia products sold with extra additives as some companies blend it with other sweeteners. Other Popular Food Substitutes. Go to Dr Oz website for his run down.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Next time I might just use nutella or melt hersheys sugar free choc chips.

FYI unless there is a sugar free version of nutella that I am unaware of you should know that the main ingredient is sugar! You'll see it as the first ingredient listed. Although they market it as a nutritional food, it really isn't. It has very little milk - the dash of cocoa is listed before milk in its ingredients. Those commercials are misleading and even their own site doesn't fess up to the sugar.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Ive used it in baking before, however I don't use as much Stevia as the recipe calls for. For example one of my cookie recipes calls for 1/2 cup of sugar I just use 3 packets of Stevia.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I've tried it a copule times, disgusting every time. I actually use Splenda (sucralose) when I use it. But only for my morning coffee. Sugar if I'm cooking something that needs it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Last night I was trying to make a chocolate avocado (sugar free) mousse recipe I found on pinterest. I think if I had used the suggested sweetener it would have turned out. But all I had was normal sugar and STEVIA.

The very small amount I use in tea (1/4 cup to a gallon, stevia in the raw cup for cup) is JUST FINE.
    But the amount needed in the recipe WAS JUST TERRIBLE! :sick:

It was so bitter I had trouble "fixing" the recipe to get it to work!

I like Xylitol better.

Stevia is a different bird when it comes to sweetening. It has very different properties than sugar or artificial sweeteners. Also, it only takes a miniscule amount to be as sweet as sugar. I think it's roughly 1 tsp. to 1 cup. I have gotten help at some websites with stevia-specific recipies. Also, I have used Truvia Baking Blend. The Truvia blend still has some sugar, but the calories are cut in half, and it's a one-to-one ratio so it's easier to substitute and still half the calories.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

FYI unless there is a sugar free version of nutella that I am unaware of you should know that the main ingredient is sugar! You'll see it as the first ingredient listed. Although they market it as a nutritional food, it really isn't. It has very little milk - the dash of cocoa is listed before milk in its ingredients. Those commercials are misleading and even their own site doesn't fess up to the sugar.

i know that would be me being naughty. lol. i do wish they would make a healthier version of it though.

and the honey in my mousse thing, I thought about it. I'm used to using agave instead since it has no distinguishable taste like honey, but i was out. I was afraid I would taste the honey in it.

and thank you for that site! (http://detoxinista.com/recipes/candida-cleansing-recipes/ ) checking it out now!

thax guys! I can never ever learn enough! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i don't like pure stevia at all. and stevia used in recipes with chocolate is just trouble. stevia in itself is bitter. add chocolate to that (chocolate has a natural bitterness to it) and the bitterness is enhanced/emphasized.

lots of better-tasting alternatives out there: agave, coconut palm sugar, honey, molasses (although this has a strong flavor).

i like xylitol myself too. but sometimes, i find that xylitol has a "cooling" effect on the palette. sort of like chewing winterfresh flavored gum.

I have used Truvia for no bake cookies. They came out delicious!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

i know that would be me being naughty. lol. i do wish they would make a healthier version of it though.

and the honey in my mousse thing, I thought about it. I'm used to using agave instead since it has no distinguishable taste like honey, but i was out. I was afraid I would taste the honey in it.

and thank you for that site! (http://detoxinista.com/recipes/candida-cleansing-recipes/ ) checking it out now!

OH GAWSH, I wish there was a sugar free nutella!!! That'd be heaven, haha.
  • wrevhn
    Options

OH GAWSH, I wish there was a sugar free nutella!!! That'd be heaven, haha.

Someone should put in a request to the company for that. lol. or maybe not, it could be danerous....lol

- and again to those mentioning the concentrated stevia, I used the - cup for cup - one, not the small one. but even the other one has an aftertaste.

truvia, i have not tried yet, but there are so many other non stevia options to catch up on and test out, i might put it off awhile.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Here's a sugarfree nutella option that the diabetes nutritionist suggested to my mother - sugarfree almond butter with cocoa powder added to it. I guess you could add a dash of artificial sweetener also and maybe some whey powder, but my mom likes to put cinnamon on top of her nutella anyways so cinnamon on top of the alternative would probably give her a very similar taste.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    that sounds easy in a pinch, thx mensasu.

I also found these two recipes for ppl who feel like putting extra labor into it. healthified nutella. could prob easy make sugar free.

http://www.hungryhealthyhappy.com/homemade-healthier-nutella/

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/09/better-than-nutella/#