how do you know if youre calories are too low?

Options
Hi, this is my first week on the site and I've lost 4lbs in 7 days, taking me to just under 10st. I'm completely within my recommended weight for my height, so I'm wondering if 1270 calories is too low? My projected weight loss is 1lb a week, I'm a bit worried that when I get down to my desired weight and up my calories to maintain it I'll just get bigger cos I've not been eating enough.
Any advice? I'm 5 '5, and weighed 10st 3 (143 pounds) when I started this.
Thank you xxxxxxxxx

Replies

• jrr7
    jrr7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The first 2 to 3 weeks you will lose more, that is just the way it works. If you are still losing more than 2 lbs a week after that, then I would think about eating a few more calories, but I can almost guarantee that after 3 weeks you will definitely slow down. Just make sure that you don't get discouraged when that happens.
  • bttrflykisses820
    Options
    I can vouch for the slowing down. I'm on my 4th week and I'm now struggling to lose the 2lbs per week! I think for my first month i'll have lost 10 or 11lbs. But the majority came from the first 2 weeks!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    If you are relatively close to where your maintenance weight is, I would suggest reducing your calorie deficit, I.E. eating enough so that you don't have to make drastic changes when you do reach the point at which you're happy. I would say, if you are within 10 or 15 lbs of maintenance, then expecting about 1/2 a lb per week is about as much as you should shoot for, and even then, that can be a stretch.

Best of luck to you.

-Banks