Treadmill walking workouts?

Options
Anybody have some good treadmill walking workouts that burn some good calories?

I have a old weslo treadmill and it only goes up to about 8 mph but you can't go that fast on it to run or anything because the belt gets stuck on the bottom of the treadmill and makes you almost fall so going over much high speed will be difficult for me.

Replies

• doinit90
    Options
    Walking on the tread mill is good.
    But remember to push your self.
    Do NOT hold on to the tread mill when you are walking.
    It defeats the purpose.

You have to take in oxygen to burn fat.

The best way to tell your doing this is when your breathing changes.
    Breath heavy but insure that you can still talk while walking.
    That is prime time for burning fat.

Hope this helped.
    I love the tread mill!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The dreadmill should be used as an absolute last resort. Why be a hamster when there is perfectly good pavement / trails right out your front door? No, seriously.
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    The dreadmill should be used as an absolute last resort. Why be a hamster when there is perfectly good pavement / trails right out your front door? No, seriously.

Because i can't walk outside at 10 at night because it's really cold outside (it's like 43 at night it's turning winter) & it's extremely dark and dangerous.
    Does it matter if i want to walk outside or if i want to walk inside? Either way i'm walking and it does the same job and it does it just as good.

I didn't ask to tell me to walk outside i asked if anyone had some good workouts.
    thanks for the response though. (:
  • HitenL
    HitenL Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try and walk on the treadmill with an incline and at a pace that pushes you and gets you out of breath.
    Try not to hold on. As you get fitter steadily increase your speed.

I find a walk for 30 minutes with a 5 min cooldown at 6.5 kmph at an incline of 5 is good.
  • Schmiegelette
    Schmiegelette Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like to vary the incline when I walk. Sometimes I'll crank it up to 12%, though I can usually only handle that for a couple minutes before I ease off to a lower incline. I can't run, make my hip bursitis flare up. And to add my input about treadmills, I LOVE mine, without it I wouldn't get to excersice, I have 2 small kids (5 & 3) and my hubby is usually gone from 6am to 8pm between working, church activities, and his running so I completely get needing a treadmill.
  • VickiG36
    VickiG36 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    check self.com. I believe that's where I got my treadmill program from.
  • PaulBSussex
    PaulBSussex Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Incline seems to be very effective for raising the heart beat. I'm not overly fit at the moment but at 8-9% incline and speed of 5Kmph raises my heart to 135bpm which burns quite a few calories at relatively easy workout. Especially good at the moment as my knee is recovering from a minor injury and walking is less stressful than jogging (which I hate)
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    I don't have an incline option on my treadmill it's an older one.
  • entonline
    entonline Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I average a 500 calorie burn in a 30 min. treadmill session courtesy of a steep incline; I've worked my way up to a 25-27% incline, and in 30 mins (not counting cooldown) using a speed of just 2.8MPH, I burn right at 500 calories. My sister ran on the treadmill next to me one day for the same length of time (think her speed was between 6 & 7 MPH) using no incline and burned 515 calories. My heartrate goes as high as 170-180 just depending on where my arms are, but it never drops below 157, which is my approx. target (I'm 135 lbs today).
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    How about you step it up a notch and try Couch to 5K? Walking gets so booorrrrrring.
    Oh, and when I did C25K I never went over 6-6.5 speed...ya get tired really quick when ya do if you aren't used to running, so no worries on your machine's speed being an issue.
  • starspeckled
    starspeckled Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Anybody have some good treadmill walking workouts that burn some good calories?

I have a old weslo treadmill and it only goes up to about 8 mph but you can't go that fast on it to run or anything because the belt gets stuck on the bottom of the treadmill and makes you almost fall so going over much high speed will be difficult for me.

Hmm, that makes it tough with no incline and no going fast...

I burn more calories using Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home DVD's than I do on the treadmill, especially "Burn Body Fat and sculpt your arms" with weights.

http://www.amazon.com/Leslie-Sansone-Burn-Body-Fat/dp/B005BX3K80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351700308&sr=8-1&keywords=leslie+sansone+burn+body+fat+and+sculpt+your+arms
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Have you ever did a slight incline and do a sideways trot? Walking at a fast pace at incline works your muscle slightly different than running, and doing a sideways trot also works your muscles differently. I like to change up my cardio days between the three to keep my body adjusting.
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    Look at PB Fingers - she has alot of workouts on there and you can adapt them to your treadmill options. I would say do intervals...like 4 minutes at 6.0 and 1 minute at 4.0. stuff like that....