An egg within an egg!!!

Options
rf1170
rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
Yesterday one of my hens laid a big, long egg I assumed to be a double yolker. I saved it for breakfast this morning, and when I cracked it into the pan, this is what I saw:
IMG_0804.jpg
Whoa! I've never seen anything like that, so naturally I snapped a picture and put it on Facebook.
IMG_0805.jpg
It was firmer than an egg yolk. My friends had a slew of suggestions for what it might be, so I decided to cut it open:
IMG_0806.jpg
It was a tiny egg within a bigger one!
IMG_0809.jpg
The shell hadn't completely formed yet, so that's why it was still white rather than the typical brown eggs I collect. I'm not sure why this happened, and a cursory Google search didn't produce any definitive answers, so I guess it's just another one of those chicken oddities you have to expect from time to time!

Replies

• fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    i think its time to stop doping your hens. Still pretty cool
  • rf1170
    Options
    i think its time to stop doping your hens. Still pretty cool

Yeah, I've been pushing them pretty hard... haha... And they typically lay fewer and fewer eggs as the hours of sunlight dwindle, so this was a neat surprise.
  • TJFreeman
    Options
    That's pretty neat! I've never heard of that happening!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    That's really cool!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    happens...if you want to find out about 'odd eggs' or other interesting chicken info including laying, health etc go to mybackyardchicken.com :smile: Love the site, lots of good info, weird info, good laughs and great ideas for keeping backyard chooks. Personally never had anything weirder than a rare double yolker and a few odd shaped (bullet shaped) eggs from my pullets that just started laying. Yay for great eggs from your own chickens :flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Weirdest.thing.ever.
  • rf1170
    Options
    happens...if you want to find out about 'odd eggs' or other interesting chicken info including laying, health etc go to mybackyardchicken.com :smile: Love the site, lots of good info, weird info, good laughs and great ideas for keeping backyard chooks. Personally never had anything weirder than a rare double yolker and a few odd shaped (bullet shaped) eggs from my pullets that just started laying. Yay for great eggs from your own chickens :flowerforyou:

I've perused that site before - an excellent resource! I guess you never know what you're going to find out there! Always glad to hear from another hen-keeper.
  • kandi_apples
    kandi_apples Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Did you eat the original egg?
  • rf1170
    Options
    Did you eat the original egg?

I did! It was normal and delicious.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Interesting..:smile:
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Ok, that is really weird! I'm not sure that I would've eaten the original egg...just...because...
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    First, let me say fresh eggs = MMMMMM

Second, that's pretty cool!
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    twin chickens!
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    That's neat!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    I have 9 hens too! The girls are 23 weeks tomorrow and I have only gotten 4 damn eggs! They're on layer pellets (and dinner scraps) Anyone have a clue why they aren't laying?
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this finally answers the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg.
  • jsimm31
    jsimm31 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well this brings the whole "chicken or the egg" debate to a whole 'nother level......
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    That's cool!!! have never seen that before... and we had chickens growing up, too :)
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    CRAZY! We one time got a whole dozen eggs that were double yolkers. It was nuts
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Very weird!! I can't imagine how that would have happened!