SHAKEOLOGY: Is it just hype?

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    I say hands down - YES it is worth the price. Yes it does sound expensive, but if you break it down its really not, and I actually save money drinking it.. It comes out to about $3-4/day depending on how you order. I started on it back in May and started the Insanity program with it. I was going and getting egg white omlets and stuff from the cafe at my job for breakfast and would end up costing $4-5 and I thought i was doing a good thing. But with Shakeology, not only am i pumping my body full of over 20 vitamins and 70 fruits and veggies, but i dont ever have cravings anymore, has corrected my digestive issues, gave me so much natural energy, and helped me lose 20lbs (since May) oh and of course it made me feel amazing!! So to me, thats totally worth it!! Plus i know that i'm fueling my body with the best stuff to be able to do my workouts! Just finished Insanity Asylum, and ordering Asylum 2 today to get started on asap!! I hve some updated pics as of yesterday of my progress with it on my profile.

That stuff rocks - hands down! If anybody has any more detailed questions, feel free to email me! :)

This sounds like a balanced and unbiased review.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Shakes that make you feel amazing?

wut?
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    OP: you'll find that the responses you get that are very pro-Shakeology are the coaches who want to sell it to you. Don't listen to them. You can get meal replacement shakes on your own, without a marketing scheme, and for a fraction of the price.

Not true. I'm not a coach and I like Shakeology(well not the green or pink lol). Yes, I think eating real food is a better option but sometimes a quick shake is a nice option. I like how the chocolate tastes with milk, and even better adding banana and it's filling. I think it's way too expensive though so I won't be buying anymore.

Just like anything, it's up to the individual person. I don't think it should be used as a 'diet' food but see nothing wrong with it as an occasional meal replacement if you like it and can afford it.

Right, and using your words " I think it's way too expensive though so I won't be buying anymore." You're not saying that it's the most miraculous product of all time and totally worth the expense blah blah blah. The coaches do that. Constantly.
    I do know what you mean about some coaches. I do wish that it wasn't so expensive because I'd definitely buy it instead of some of my protein powders. It isn't marketed as a protein shake but the protein is pretty high in it and it does have the added vitamins and is more filling. Maybe if I was one of those people that said it helped my skin or digestive issues I'd be more likely to spend the money on it but unfortunately it isn't awesome enough for that price which is a bummer cuz I actually think as far as flavor goes, it tastes better than all the chocolate protein powders I've tried.
  • lgschutt
    lgschutt Posts: 10 Member
    I've tried one flavor and it was tasty. I did feel better while drinking it. I quit when my I asked my BeachBody coach for a sample of a new flavor and they wanted to charge me $10 for it. Umm... if you want my money, there has to be some give and take here.

I am not a coach either, I just believe in the stuff from *my* own personal experience with it! You were right @ Amanda, give and take, its expensive enough that your coach should let you try a different flavor before putting out the $$ Look for another coach :)
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    I am an avid fan of a protein shake just as much as the next guy but I use them to supplement my diet not replace it. You should consider eating whole foods long before replacing them with a shake so you LEARN how to eat better and make better choices. This is why all those tards on weight watchers fail after they leave the program, you've learned nothing but how to count points. if you have time to add water, shake up a drink and consume it you have time to eat a chicken breast (hot or cold) and some veggies. I know this because I am on the move 9 hours a day, don't take a lunch and do this every day. If food is too hard for you, your going to have a horrible time with the whole meeting goals thing
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    I say hands down - YES it is worth the price. Yes it does sound expensive, but if you break it down its really not, and I actually save money drinking it.. It comes out to about $3-4/day depending on how you order. I started on it back in May and started the Insanity program with it. I was going and getting egg white omlets and stuff from the cafe at my job for breakfast and would end up costing $4-5 and I thought i was doing a good thing. But with Shakeology, not only am i pumping my body full of over 20 vitamins and 70 fruits and veggies, but i dont ever have cravings anymore, has corrected my digestive issues, gave me so much natural energy, and helped me lose 20lbs (since May) oh and of course it made me feel amazing!! So to me, thats totally worth it!! Plus i know that i'm fueling my body with the best stuff to be able to do my workouts! Just finished Insanity Asylum, and ordering Asylum 2 today to get started on asap!! I hve some updated pics as of yesterday of my progress with it on my profile.

That stuff rocks - hands down! If anybody has any more detailed questions, feel free to email me! :)

This sounds like a balanced and unbiased review.

I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... they give you the tools to be your own boss. ;)
  • Fittabulous
    Fittabulous Posts: 17 Member
    So i work at a large airline company full time. I guess you could say that this is a pyramid scheme too... we have a president, vice president under him, directors, then managers, and then regular staff... how is that different? School systems have a super intendent, principals, asst principals, teachers... so that makes it bad?? Not trying to sell anybody, just expressed my statement on how it has been a cost saver for me. Ive been a gym rat a good half my life, trained for competitions, but then got injured and fell out and gained back alot of weight. i found something that works for me and that i believe in. if you dont like it or have something that works great for you, than awesome - keep with it and keep that going! im all about someone getting healthy and happy regardless what path they are taking, mine just happens to be one on shakeology! :)
  • mmbk
    mmbk Posts: 2
    I am a coach but I do not drink Shakeology anymore. I used to but changed my diet to exclude grains, etc...I do much better eating real food so that is what I do. Everyone's body is different and what one person responds to, someone else will not. Try cutting out a few different things and changing up your food. It may be trial and error for awhile. Good luck.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    One of our friends started selling the product and pitching it at every family gathering so I finally caved in and spent I think close to $140.00 after shipping.

IMO I dont think it is worth the money at all. I didnt feel any notieable benefits from it. I would think it is healthy but worth that much...I dont think so.
  • ablissabby
    ablissabby Posts: 56 Member
    I loved it until they changed the formula; I didn't like the taste after that. So unfortunate, because I looked forward to it every morning!
  • It is not hype. It is a perfect meal replacement. If you get it and do not enjoy the flavor or it does not work for you there is a 100% 30 day money back guarantee. Doesn't matter how much of it you use. I enjoy the flavor and its very filling but I started an Atkins diet and it has to many carbs for induction phase. The difference is what nutrients and vitamins you are getting compared to other meal replacement shakes. Still is expensive but if you don't mind the flavors then I'd say go for it.
  • tgeraldo
    tgeraldo Posts: 5 Member
    I know it's expensive, but I just kept thinking of how many times I paid $5 for a pint of hagen daaz. I have been using it for a while, and I must say it has really paid off. My cholestral dropped 77 points!! I lost 27 pounds when I was taking it faithfully. I would suggest having some blood work done and trying it for a month for yourself and then after the month get blood work done again and compare the results.

To set off the cost I became a coach and get the coaches discount.
  • cluise
    cluise Posts: 2 Member
    I had the same opinion - is this worth it? I tried it.

3 months later - I am down 37 lbs as of this morning. I use it every day, sometime twice daily for the convenience factor. It has been a part of a balanced, plant-based, low-calorie diet and regular exercise. Expensive, yes, but VERY convenient and I usually skipped breakfast altogether (not anymore!).

I will probably stop it in another 15 lbs, but am very glad I used it. It is filling, tastes good (not so good on the vegan shake), and has some variety. I am not affiliated in any way with the Health industry, nor with Beachbody.

Good luck to you. Its a tough decision to use it regularly, but keep all things in perspective - this alone will probably not help anyone meet their dietary and fitness goals.
  • Just read the reviews on the beachbody site. It seems everyone is giving it only one star for the taste (I guess they changed their formula). Geez, that doesn't inspire confidence. I don't expect it to taste like a decendent chocolate milkshake, but it seems people really HATE the new formula.
    i started shakeology before they changed to the super formula, it was great. It didnt give me more energy or make me feel full. I drank it because before I started working out, I never ate breakfast. I also started shakeology beacuse of all the good nutrients in it. I did lose 7lbs in 2 weeks, mind you I was not eating anything healthy before that. I just started on the new super food formula and it is gross!!!! It does not matter what you add to it, it has the worst taste ever! I was so dissapointed when they changed the formula, I use to enjoy the shake every morning. Now I am stuck looking for something else. If they did not change the formula, then I would recomend it but since they have, Hell no!! Don't get it!!
  • FirefitMike
    FirefitMike Posts: 85 Member
    Save money and make your own.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I've known 3 people that have used it, though I never have myself. I just like to eat too much to replace a meal with a drink. One of the people I know that use is a Beachbody coach, but she is in excellent shape and health. Of the other 2, one didn't care for it and stopped using it. The other still uses it. My take on all that is that there is nothing magical about it, it is healthy, but you'd have to try it to see if you liked it.

The price doesn't seem that high if it is truly used as a meal replacement. $120 divided by 30 meals (roughly one per day) = $4 per meal.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    yes its just hype.

you could get a comparative supplement cheaper elsewhere.
  • KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    I use shakology everyday and I LOVE IT! I love the way it makes me feel I have sooooo much energy. I used to have stomach problems and I don't get them at all anymore. I know that the price is shocking but it is so worth it. The way I make mine last longer is I only use about 75% of a scoop and then I had a whole banana and sometime peanut butter. It kind of has a funky taste so the banana really helps with that.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    so you're overpaying for a bad protein shake/ greens supplement. and admit that it tastes funky? but you love it?