40+ Club: Beating The Winter Bulge

Options

Replies

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! I'm off to do a run outdoors :drinker: So excited I can barely stand it - Did a preview with a dog walk this morning and I think I can get a good 4 mile ice free run.:drinker:
  • HelsNels
    Options
    Hi all

I only joined the site on Tuesday last but would love to join in with this group, even if it means i have to admit that i am in the 40+ group. Need lots of help and motivation, after giving up smoking 15 months ago i have let my weight get out of control, using the not smoking as an excuse to eat anything and everything. Anyway now is the time, so here i go, would love to lose around 30lb, just find fitiing excercise in around two jobs a little hard at the moment. Any tips and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nel
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I didn't feel so good last week, my spirits were way down. Today, I feel a lot better. Although I was not in top shape, I kept on exercising everyday with my hubby. I also have set myself a goal to walk 25 miles so I built myself a ticker with a horseman and started walking this morning. When I was on the treadmill, I didn't just want to do 1 mile, I wanted my horseman to walk a little faster. Finally, I walked 2 miles at 3.5 mph with a 3% incline. That little horseman is really motivating. This past week, I was mainly on the Gazelle, it was easier on my knee.

Be good to yourselves!!
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Doing great here. The scale is still not my friend but I'm losing in other ways.

I joined a new swank gym in a hotel and I'm really thrilled with it. I'm having my first consultation on Wednesday where she's weigh, measure me, take my fat levels, etc and discuss what I want to achieve. Obviously, fat loss, muscle gain (but not too much) and overall fitness. I am so so cardio UNFIT that it still shocks me how easily I get winded even after a month of working out 4-5 days/week and 5 weeks of eating very clean! I know it'll come but it'll come sloooowly.

I am surprised to see how slowly I'm losing and I attribute it to years of massive yoyo dieting (think as extreme as Kelly Osbourne) and my age! I can't do anything about either of those things but I can keep trudging through the molasses that is my fitness battle and come out the other side slimmer and more able to do longer cardio workouts.

So, all in all a good week, despite what the scales may tell me on Tuesday, my weigh in day.

Because of comments made (I think on this thread) I have started with Vit D3 and Calcium as well as a multivitamin and fish oils. Ah, I feel like a chemist most mornings! Just wondering if anyone here could tell me how much VitD3 they're taking a day and if it's been helpful in shifting excess weight?

All the best to you all from a very wet, very cold west of Ireland!
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone and Happy Saturday! :flowerforyou:

I meant to check in yesterday, but had to fill in for someone at work. MFP wasn't really an option and didn't get a lunch break. :ohwell: So at any rate, here I am today!

Stiring: Sounds like you are doing great and enjoy STS as much as ever! I know when I increased my calories just slightly it did help me with the whole starving mode and wanting to scarf something down. :noway: Thanks by the way for your comment back to me on eating after my evening workouts. By not worrying about it quite so much I have just prepared some very clean and simple dinners to have when I get home. Feels good.

I did finally measure about a week ago ~ I have lost some inches (waist & legs combined) and lost a couple of LB's. It feels like more progress was made than just that but I feel really great and my clothes are definitely looser. So that in itself is SOMETHING I have to say. Will try not to focus on the actual numbers because it makes me crazy! :wink: :noway:

Started my Endurance series last week; kind of a strange start because I missed Monday (traveling back from my moms) and so started Tues. Looking forward to next week and starting fresh. This a.m.I did Cathe's SHOCK Athletic Step; hope to take my dogs for a walk this afternoon. We are having really nice weather today.
    Hope everyone is well & having a great weekend so far!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!!!

I can't believe it's been so long since I last logged in. Work has been hectic and there are never enough hours in the day it seems. It's good that work has picked up, honestly, but I feel like I never quite get a handle on my time.

I am still working with the trainer. My weight fluctuates up and down, but still seems to be heading in a downward direction.
    S-L-O-W-L-Y! :sad: But at least it does move downwards. I wish I could post 2lbs a week loss, but if I lose 2lbs a month, I'm happy.

Have been poor about tracking food the last month, so am going to start that up again. My next goal to achieve is a 5K race, and have been building up endurance towards that.

One new thing I've been doing is a Boot Camp class that my trainer teaches. HOLY
    ! I thought plyometrics was hard. Heh. Lots of jumping rope and burpees and pushups and mountain climbers with very little rest time in between sets. Last set yesterday was 30 seconds of jumping rope, 30 seconds of burpees, 3 times in a row...or 3 minutes total with no rest. Totally wiped out. Now....wouldn't you think that would burn the fat right off of ya???? Hope the scale reflects something positive for me tomorrow.

I have been reading and keeping up with y'all. You are all such inspirations! I see new members here too, which is wonderful! Hope to be more of a contributor as we head into spring.
    :flowerforyou:
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    Sunday morning weigh in... down 9/10ths of a pound LOL...so I am going to round down :)

Julia
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

It looks like many of our friends here are having great success meeting their fitness goals!!! Julia, Cardi, 2BLean, Anahita et al...good work!!!!

It's been a good weekend for us too. On Friday we bought 4 kettlebells (aka KB). I showed my wife a few exercises to start with. She did 6 different ones that work the whole body. She started with the lightest one (18 lb). She is stiff and sore! That KB attacked muscles she never knew she had! My wife is fairly fit, so she was surprised that she got a great workout with only one weight.

We had our Grandson on Saturday until Sunday morning (and his Daddy). It is so nice to have that little guy running around the house. I just hope the marital problems are over soon...what a mess. When his mother comes to pick him up, he runs away and does not want to go with her. It makes me wonder how he is being treated by her. Frankly, I think she is a bit unstable. Even her lawyer commented how "childish" she acts at times, which is saying a lot!

The weather was glorious here over the weekend, sunny with a high in the mid-40s. On Sat and Sun I took a long hike up in the mountains for some much needed exercise and fresh air. The climbs are killers, with and elevation rising of over 1000 ft. The climb itself is steep and steady. It kept my HR in the 150s throughout the ascent. My body is stiff and tired, but in a great way. The crisp air and scenery was exhilerating. I felt truly alive and thankful to be able to do such a climb, and that we live in a beautiful area, free from smog and traffic.

Back to the gym today. Upper body work at lunch and a KB workout after work. I have a rehearsal in Hershey this evening and of course the weather will be a factor. A chance of rain and freezing rain is expected tonight.

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All! Of course, I'm getting ready to go to bed since it is 9:30pm here, but that's a whole 'nother matter. :laugh:

singfree, sounds like you had a great weekend. I was thinking about you on Saturday because I read a good article about kettlebells and how they are great for burning a good number of calories in a short period of time. Then I went to our base exchange, and they've actually started carrying kettlebells!! Sadly, they only have the very light ones (about 10lbs). Do you think those would do me any good? I know Kathy Smith is putting out a new DVD workout using lighter kettlebells like those, but I've always found Kathy Smith to offer workouts a tad less intense than what I'm looking for. But I'm curious if you think using lighter kettlebells might be effective. If so, I might look into them further.

Of course, we were in the fitness section to buy me a new pair of 40lb dumbbells! :drinker: I've outgrown my 35lbers on things like one arm rows, so I finally caved and bought the 40lb ones. We get to the checkout, and the worker is joking with my husband about how strong he is and such. My husband tells him the weights are for me. This checkout guy thought that was the funniest thing. My husband tried to convince him, but this poor young man really thought my husband was yanking his chain. Go figure. I'm not sure how I feel about that, to be honest. :ohwell:

I had a good weekend with working out AND eating. I've finished my first week back to clean eating after two really indulgent weekends, and I feel good. After my workout yesterday morning (I did back and biceps followed by a HiiT workout), my husband and I walked the route we are hoping to use for running. It took us right at two hours to walk it, so I'm sure it is going to take me a very long time to work up the endurance to run that distance (I'm guessing it is six miles, but my husband thinks it is eight). Maybe I'll surprise myself with running, but it has never been a natural thing for me. But, hopefully, it will become something my husband and I can enjoy doing together. The weather isn't quite nice enough for it yet (a little too cold and icy), but I can tell the better weather is on its way. :drinker: Now I need a good pair of running shoes. Any of our runners out there have any good recommendations?

I also spent a good time this weekend trying to nail down how many calories I'm supposed to be eating. Like I've said before, my HRM doesn't seem to work for me. So I went to a link provided in another thread on this site that had different calculations for my BMR and used my workout activity to calculate my total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) as opposed to non-workout activity (which is how MFP does it). I did a couple of calculations, and based on working out as much as I do (two workouts a day), it estimates that I should be eating about 2100 calories. That is about what I was eating at the end of last summer, so that didn't really surprise me. I guess I'll try to increase my calories to closer to that number, though I don't feel like I'm nearly as fit or lean as I was when I was eating those calories. Of course, I tell my husband that, and he looks at me like I'm nuts. So.....who knows. I'll say this, though, my body is definitely loving the calorie increase I implemented recently (from 1400 to 1700) so I guess I should continue listening to it...and feed it if it needs to be fed. I'm not gaining weight, and that's a good thing right now. Eating more also seems to be helping me with my cravings, and goodness knows, I need help with those! :noway:

cardigirl, great to see you again!! :flowerforyou: I'm happy to hear you are continuing to have success. Don't you just love Boot Camp? I love those kinds of workouts!! Keep checking in when you get a chance.

Good to see so many people having success! You all motivate me so much to continue down the path of living this healthier lifestyle. :smile:

I hope everybody has a great day.
  • singfree
    Options
    Stiring, 10 lb KBs will NOT cut it for someone of your fitness level. For you, I would definitely start with a 12 Kg (26.5 lb) KB. If you go lighter, I really think that you will be disappointed. I am using a 16 Kg (35 lb) and a 20 Kg (44 lb) KB. My wife has the 8 & 12 Kg (18 and 26.5 Lb) KBs. As I mentioned earlier, she is impressed at the way KBs work multiple muscle groups. Also, if you use a heavier KB, you can get a very good HIIT workout. Maybe when you get back to the States you can buy some locally. I found a good place in Lancaster, PA (about 40 miles from me) that sells them at a great price. They will also ship via UPS reasonably.

I'm also finding that using a HR monitor for total caloric expenditure per day is not always accurate. Given your body composition, I would agree that upping your daily calories is a good thing. Even 2100 cals on workout days seems low. During the warm weather it is not unusual for me to expend well over 1000 cals with exercise. Question: when you get "cravings", what do you think is an ideal snack?

Sometimes I think it is harder to manage calories when I am fit and at my ideal weight!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday All! Like Sing we had a beautiful weekend here in Michigan - I actually got 2 outdoor runs in - a 3.5 miler on Saturday and a 6 miler on Sunday - Let me tell you I'm feeling it today - good thing the snow is falling and the kids are home for 2nd snow day of the season. I've picked out my first race of the season a 25K in May so I really have to get my act together if I'm going to be ready by then. I finally received my IceSpikes for my shoes so even if the snow sticks around I should be able to get some runs outside.

Stiring: If possible get fitted at a good running store - I'm partial to Mizunos but that is mainly because my foot is very narrow - right now I'm running in my first pair of Brooks and they seem okay. Shoes really do make all the difference when running - I have to have a motion control shoe because I have a slight overpronation (which means my knees roll in slightly). If you don't have an option to get fitted your husband can check you out - barefoot with your knees exposed - do a slight squat - if he notices your knees rolling in (overpronation) or out (underpronation) you'll need to search for shoes used to correct them. Runnersworld reviews shoes seasonally - my guess is the shoes are being manufactured right in your neck of the woods so maybe you can get get a good deal. I was taught that the 80-120 dollar range is usually sufficient for quality.

All right - have a great Monday I'm off to the basement for my last Push Circuit 1 (wow where did this second month go!)
  • tamarads
    Options
    Hi All!

A few days late checking in, but better late than never I suppose! :smile: The weight has stopped coming off, but the inches haven't and so I'm going to press on. :ohwell:

Love reading about all the positives happening for you, keep them coming you all are inspirational! :happy:

Stiring... I'm not a huge runner, I typically refer to myself as a "fair weather runner" conditions have to be almost perfect... not too hot, not too cold and not rainy! :laugh: I love my Mizuno's though, it is the only running shoe I will buy. My foot type works well with the Waverunner model, it's like slipping my foot into a little piece of heaven! My husband wears only Asics, but he has an awful time with his Achilles tendon. About those kettleballs.. have you checked the BX in Seoul? Can they order them for you maybe? How about checking out the stores off Base? Just some thoughts... Good luck!

Sing.. your weekend sounds great, I'm just itching to get out and be outside in the sun and fresh air. Unfortunately it is raining today, I'm not complaining too much though it is at least melting the mounds of snow. I am so ready for Spring.. saw a spring bulb poking it's head up from the snow today!

Keep up the good fight everyone... till next time!

Tammy
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I only joined the site on Tuesday last but would love to join in with this group, even if it means i have to admit that i am in the 40+ group. Need lots of help and motivation, after giving up smoking 15 months ago i have let my weight get out of control, using the not smoking as an excuse to eat anything and everything. Anyway now is the time, so here i go, would love to lose around 30lb, just find fitiing excercise in around two jobs a little hard at the moment. Any tips and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Nel

Welcome Nel!! First of all, congratulations on quitting smoking!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: That alone is a major step you've taken to become healthier. It is great that you realize that you have used the "excuse" of quitting smoking to eat more. It means you are not in denial of the cause of your weight gain. You said you want to lose around 30lbs. Try not to focus on that amount but concentrate on smaller goals, for example, that you will lose 5 lbs within the next 5 wks. That can keep you more motivated. I think what helps the most if to sit down and think about your schedule, what exercise you like the best that you could stick to. Write down your goals, put your workout schedule in your calendar. Please tell us a little bit more about yourself and we can try to think of other ways to help. You can do this!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Cardigirl, great to hear from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've missed you!!!! I am glad to hear you are doing well. Is your trainer's class called Crossfit? Sing was asking about that the other day. It is sort of like a Boot Camp class. Those are tough. I am sure your body will react to it soon!!!!

I am glad to hear all of you are doing great!!!! I havent had any sweets nor alcohol since last Tue!!!!! Having no alcohol is pretty easy for me since I dont drink much but the sweets, yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is tough!! But I am hanging in there. I feel great!!! I started the last week of the Push phase of ChaLean Extreme. Duffy, are you with me??? Oh Duffy, BTW, it is great that you are running and training for the marathon. I really miss running. :sad: The weather here is getting nice, it was 74 degrees yesterday!!! And I would have loved to go out there and go for a run. I think I just have to be brave and get out there and see how my leg does. I am definitely not starting where I was when I got injured. My plan is to start doing walk/jog intervals and take it slow. Now if I start running, plus lifting weights and teaching Zumba 4 times a week I am going to need to be eating a LOT!!!!! :laugh: I still use my HRM to calculate the calories. I also agree that it is not extremely accurate but I think it is more accurate than any other tool you can use unless you pay an expert to measure it everytime you exercise and that is not possible. I also try to listen to my body and determine what it needs.

Oh, yes, the running topic...I need a new pair of running shoes before I start running again. My last pair was a good one, Saucony. I went to a running store and was fitted and tried about 7 pairs before I got those. I suggest you do that Stiring, you might have to try a lot of pairs before you find that right ones. And yes, you can find great prices over there. When my sister lived in Japan they would have shopping trips to Korea. Duffy, my feet are also narrow, I overpronate and I have flat feet!!!! :noway: So I can relate...tell me more about your shoes please.

Sing, you asked about snacks...you said "cravings" what type of cravings? When it is time to snack and I am eating clean I usually have a high fiber whole wheat english muffin with a tbsp of peanut or almond butter or 1/2 cup of greek yogurt with 1/4 or 1/2 cup of berries, or 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese with berries, an apple or any other fruit with a cheese string or a handful of raw nuts, usually almonds. I hope this helps.

Have a wondeful day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Alf, I was referencing Stiring's comments about having "cravings". I get cravings as well, but not for anything in particular. Either it's just plain old hunger or maybe a blood sugar spike. Sometimes it's hard to diiferentiate between the two!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    TICKER SHOCK ANYONE?

I weighed myself yesterday, I have not seriously weighed myself since all the stress happened 4 months ago. I have gained back nearly half of what I had lost, and this is after feeling like I lost a few pounds recently. Well, its a reality check I needed. I've been getting my exercise act together recently, and now that I've weighed myself, I can start seeing if what I'm doing is working by weighing myself regularly again.

The good news is my waistline didn't increase as much as you would expect. I gave away all my big clothes, and refuse to buy anything as long as my weight continues to remain above the old mark, so I am still able to get into what I have, though I doubt it looks as attractive as it did.

Welcome new folks and hi to everyone already here!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Zebras, hang in there. You did it once...you can do it again. We are here to support you. And, I for one, am looking forward to seeing your sticker begin to move again.

Does anyone know how to satisfy salt cravings? I actually ate a snack bag of Lay's chips this weekend. Still having the same struggle with doing well over the weekend.:mad:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    mkwood! :drinker: Soooooo happy to see you. I've been thinking about you alot lately, wondering if everything was going okay. You are half way through the deployment, right? It must be feeling like forever right about now. But great job at maintaining your weight right now, given everything you've been going through. I think that's amazing. Please keep checking in when you get a chance. I worry about people when they don't check-in for a little while......:blushing:

Stiring, Sing, Alf, TX and everyone else...........thanks so much for the words of encouragement - I've needed them lately.
    :heart: :heart:

We are past the halfway point of the hubby's deployment - 71 days left as of today (if he makes it home as scheduled). This has been a hard winter.........hopefully once the weather starts getting nicer I'll be more motivated to go for a walk or something after work if I don't work out at Curves. Anything to shake the routine and see if I can lose these last few pounds......:grumble: :grumble: The weight is still pretty much the same - 126-128, although the scale DID say 125.4 on Saturday morning!:bigsmile: I've been trying to eat better; discovered that I really like the one of the Atkins Advantage meal bars - the Marshmallow Mudslide bar is awesome!! So, have been eating one of those along with a fuji apple for lunch lately; the combination keeps me full all day - no mid-afternoon munchies:laugh: :laugh: . The inches are definitely moving in the right direction - tried on a pair of jeans that I bought right before he came back from Iraq in Aug 08, and they actually buttoned and zipped; although too tight to wear for a long period of time!!:happy: :happy:

Last week was "replace carpet in the office suite" and then, when I almost had my office put back together, it was "quick, go help so and so pack up their office so the carpet layers can go there next or "can you please do the touch-up paint in so and so's office so they can move back in? (like they can't do their own *&#^$ touch up painting? :grumble: :explode: :explode: :angry: I may be younger than a lot of the people here, but I'm stil 47 and we have college students who work in this building- let them do the bending and twisting!!! :noway: :noway: OK, OK, I'm done ranting now......:blushing: I really should be catching up on work instead of being here:blushing: :blushing: .

Hope all are doing OK - I haven't read thru the whole thread since I last posted a week ago; will try to sign in from home tonite and catch up.

Marla:flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Alf, I was referencing Stiring's comments about having "cravings". I get cravings as well, but not for anything in particular. Either it's just plain old hunger or maybe a blood sugar spike. Sometimes it's hard to diiferentiate between the two!

Oops, I thought the question was for all of us and not just for Stiring...sorry...:laugh:

Hey Stiring, they guy from the store...just watch him in the parking lot and beat him up. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: then he will know the weights were for you....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: just kidding :tongue: :wink:

MK, great to hear from you!!!! Hang in there girl!!! Yeah, your husband will be here before you know it. And you will be just looking HOT!!! :wink:

Swiss, I am not sure I can answer your question about your cravings for salt. I think the more you eat something the more your body craves it. So my strategy is to try my best to avoid those things and slowly but surely you stop craving it as much...when the cravings attack try to focus on something else, drink water, eat something healthy (fruit, etc), go for a walk, etc and the craving should subside. Another thing that helps is not to keep those foods at home. It is much easier to avoid them when they are not at your reach. I know it is hard...I am not saying it should be a breeze. I struggle with it myself, mostly cravings for sweets. :flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    Thanks duffy, alf, and tamarads for the running shoe recommendations! Yes, I could get shoes made for me here in Korea, but the prices aren't as inexpensive as they used to be when it comes to having things made (they would cost me in the $80-$120 range for sure). The benefit is they'd be made for my foot. The drawback....when we leave here, I'd be back to finding running shoes in a store. So I'm going to aim to find something in a store and see if I can't settle into a brand I enjoy from the get-go. I may have to go to Runner's World or some such store when we are in Hawaii in April to have my foot tested. Until then, I'm going to do some research on the shoes they have on base that work with over-pronation (because, like duffy, that's an issue with me) and see if I can't get a decent shoe to start out on. But in Hawaii, I'll definitely be on the look out for Mizunos!!

singfree, thanks for the feedback on the kettlebells. I picked one up in the store, and I guessed it would be kind of worthless for me, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming that feeling. Kettlebells have been around forever, so I'm sure I will still be able to find some when we get back to the US in a couple of years. tamarads, thanks for the recommendation to look at the BX in Seoul. I'll do that next time I'm up there, but I have found that the BX on Osan these days pretty much carries everything the one in Seoul carries. But it certainly is worth a look!

Regarding my cravings, they really have nothing to do with hunger to be honest. When I'm hungry, pretty much anything tastes good. :wink: Seriously, though, when I'm hungry, I always want 'real' food, meaning nothing sweet or junk foody, etc. If I am craving anything when I'm hungry, it is usually a carb (bread) and something like cheese or peanut butter. Right now, my favorite snack is a piece of homemade wheat toast with natural crunchy peanut butter and a banana sliced on top. Good stuff.

My problem with cravings is that my worst cravings come when I'm NOT actually hungry, and that is when my craving for sweets kicks in. I have increased my fruit intake, and that is helping. Last night, I chopped up an apple, sprinkled it with cinnamon, added 1/4 cup of the nutty granola I made last week and popped that into the microwave for a few minutes. It tasted every bit as good as an apple crumble made with sugar and butter. So I'm going to try to experiment with that type of 'sweet' to see if it doesn't help my non-hunger sweet cravings.

Swissmiss, regarding cravings for salt....I echo what alf said about craving something more if I eat it more. But, for me, since I'm not a salt craver, when I AM craving salt, I start looking at my diet and trying to figure out if I'm missing something and if there would be any reason my body actually needs the salt. But if you are a normal salt craver (like I'm a normal sweet craver), my recommendation would be if you can't eliminate salty foods, to try to find foods with less salt on them (low salt peanuts, etc), and see if that doesn't help lessen the cravings a bit. The other thing I've learned recently is that if I'm eating enough of the right foods, my cravings really start coming back under control.

singfree, thanks for your recommendations for my calorie intake. I wish I could burn 1000 during a workout!! The best I've been able to do, according to my HRM, is about 400 calories burned during the one hour of Insanity Max Interval Circuits. There are days when I can do an hour of weights, an hour of intense cardio and a two hour walk late in the day, and my HRM will calculate the total calorie burns during that four hours of 'exercise' (if you count walking as exercise) at 600-700 calories. Given my maintenance calories, that would mean eating about 1900 calories on days when I am active for that many hours. And therein lies my problem because I can't be that active every day!! So I eat less on days when I'm not that active (hence why I settled in to the 1400-1700 range), but I still don't feel like that is quite enough given two tough workouts a day (strength training followed by cardio, usually of an intensity like insanity). I'm finding it kind of frustrating right now, to be honest. I had found a happy maintenance spot before we left California, but like I said yesterday, I'm not sure that's where I should be right now given my current fitness level.

zebras, don't beat yourself up about the weight gain. It happens to many of us. The good news is that you are staying active, and that is a great thing. Keep doing what you're doing, and it will all be good in the end. :flowerforyou:

mk, I remain impressed with your continued ability to maintain/lose weight during this time. I'm sorry things have been so tough for you this winter. I'm happy you are counting down the days, though, until your husband returns. The end is in sight!!

Off to do my daily workout....week 3 of the second cycle of STS, so I'm in for a tough chest/shoulder/tricep workout. I'm not sure which cardio I'm going to do today....probably something from Insanity though. :bigsmile:

Thanks again everybody for your input!! I don't know where I'd be without you all. :flowerforyou: