Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Oh, god my head hurts.

Milk is not bad for you.
    The only advice I'm going to give here is to

a) ignore the dairy scare people.
    b) Search new roadmap and read that thread.

I've spent too much time on the forums this morn - someone else can address the GreyEyes posts....

Props for the road map mention.
    Heres the link!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My best advice for you is parts and pieces of all of the above.
    - First, what works for one person, doesn't always work for the next. You need to find what works for you and what you can stick with. This is the most important. If a plan is too hard to stick with for the rest of your life, then find something else.
    - Second, drink lots of water. No matter what you eat, it helps keep your body hydrated.
    - Third, read and keep reading. There is a ton of information out there and you need to educate yourself. Take pieces from everywhere and then give them a try.
    - When you are frustrated, reach out with questions. The support and feedback on this site is amazing!

Good luck.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Focus first on calorie in take. That's your bottom line. The goal MFP gives you every day, get as close to that as possible.

Next try to fill your calories with protein and fiber- a poster above listed things that are protein heavy- these things will help keep you full longer than carb heavy foods. Combo these with lots of veggie and fruit.

Focus on carbs and healthy fats (think nuts, avocados, oils) after that, both of which are necessary to overall health and energy but not as central as proteins and veggies.

And finally, try prelogging your food for the day. This is the easiest way to make sure you hit your calories, but also to get an idea what your other macros (protein, carbs, sodium, sugar) look like. If you exercise at night, either estimate the type of burn you'll have that night, or else log your exercise the morning after you do it.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I think I have read thing wrong. What does it mean if I have a minus sign by the protein I thought it meant I didnt have enough but now after lookin at it I think it is saying I am having too much. If I have to much is that a bad thing?

Really don't worry about it too much. MFP's default setting has protein really low. Unless you are eating in excess of 90-100 g protein, you are fine.

Focus on calories. Don't necessarily cut out fat calories, you need fats- and many protein sources are simultaneous sources of fat (even when they are fairly lean).
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Really don't worry about it too much. MFP's default setting has protein really low. Unless you are eating in excess of 90-100 g protein, you are fine.

You are fine eating over 100 g of protein a day. The myth of no more then x grams per meal or x grams per day have been disproven.

Current recommendations for athletes is 1 gram (or more) per pound of body weight for protein, 0.5 gram per of body weight for fat, and the remainder of your calories from carbs. Most important is total calories, then protien. High protein diets help preserve and build muscle while losing fat. Good fats provide essiential componenets used to build hormones and are necessary. These recommendations work for non athletes as well.
  • bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Everyone's got good suggestions. I have been studying nutrition fiercely since I have started using MFP, and it gets extremely complicated with what fats you want (saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated), what fats you want to avoid, (trans, too much of the other three), the fatty acids you need (Omegas, in varying quantities), what kind of carbs you want to consume, (whole grains, fiber, veggies, etc), what carbs you should avoid large quantities of (anything refined, such as white rice, white flour, sugar, etc), and the various kinds of proteins and how much of each you should eat in a day.

If you want to get into all that information, it will completely boggle the mind. Follow a very simple piece of advice that I have seen many other people offer: eat more than 1200 gross calories a day, and less than what MFP recommends as your net, and you will lose weight. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

How much of each macro nutrient to eat (protein/carbs/fat) is far too academic for our purposes, especially in the beginning of our journey. Regardless of what you eat, if you create a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. period.

^ I agree. only question... do you care what "weight" you lose? What if you are losing muscle and keeping the fat? muscle goes away very quickly and weighs more. you may end up thin and frumpy.

The way to make sure you are maintaining muscle while losing fat is to add exercise, particularly weight training. If you don't do any exercise, you will still lose weight, but you're right, you will lose muscle as well as fat.

However, for the course of this particular thread, I just wanted to point out that if you eat fewer calories, you will lose weight.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Goodness, people. Stop confusing the woman!

Here's the short version. Your body uses carbohydrates for quick energy, and protein to build muscle. Too much of either of those will be stored in the body as fat, which is why you want to stick close to your calorie target. High protein foods include meats, dairy products, eggs, beans, and soy. High carbohydrate foods include breads, pastas, rice, potatoes, basically anything with a lot of sugar or starch.

Many people trying to lose weight will reduce carbohydrates and/or increase protein in their diet because doing so has the following benefits:
    1. Protein is more filling that carbohydrates, which is useful when you are eating less
    2. Many junk foods are high in carbohydrates; cutting out cake means you are reducing your carb intake
    3. Calorie restriction burns both fat and muscle; eating more protein means less muscle loss
    4. Some people find that they crave carbohydrates, and reducing carb intake reduces those cravings.

Hope this helps!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

I never said dairy was bad for you 0.o I said soy was.

cosigned
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Oh, god my head hurts.

Milk is not bad for you.
    The only advice I'm going to give here is to

a) ignore the dairy scare people.
    b) Search new roadmap and read that thread.

I've spent too much time on the forums this morn - someone else can address the GreyEyes posts....

I never said dairy was bad for you 0.o I said soy was.

You said no dairy or soy if you are female

You said
    Also ther is a ton of puss in regular milk. http://milk.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000969

To avoid the puss and bad fat get organic fat free milk :)

This is silly. At best.