Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars

Options

Replies

• nisha0612
    nisha0612 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think it has more fibre in it, its chewier as well... it takes longer for me to cook these properly when i make porridge.. around 20 minutes till it becomes nice and creamy...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think it has more fibre in it, its chewier as well... it takes longer for me to cook these properly when i make porridge.. around 20 minutes till it becomes nice and creamy...

Hmm...well I would try a batch with them. You may have to adapt the amount of milk to get them the right texture. Sometimes I like to use a little less milk so that the outside gets crunchy and the inside is a little chewy, more like a granola bar.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    MuskokaWinterFun2012124.jpg

Did ... ah ... someone say peanut butter?
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well my son has just come home from school and given his official verdict on these bars of; "yeah, they're all right" which is high praise indeed believe me! :laugh:

I halved the recipe as there's only the two of us and I didn't want to have to eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner all week just in case we didn't like them after all. This is not going to be a problem now though, lol!

Here's what I used and the nutritional information;

167g Traditional Porridge Oats
    6g Canderel Powder
    57g Organic Free Range Egg (shelled weight)
    134ml Skimmed (Fat Free) Milk
    90g Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter
    1tsp Baking Powder
    0.5tsp Salt
    1tsp Vanilla Extract

Nutritional Breakdown Per 100g;

330 Calories
    31g Carb's
    4g Sugars
    16g Fat
    3g Saturated Fat
    60mg Cholesterol
    5g Fiber
    13g Protein
    84mg Sodium

The total weight after baking was 417g and I cut it into 16 squares so each square contains roughly 86 calories.

I tweaked the recipe a bit but it's still more or less the basic recipe. I cut all the sugar out and replaced with sweetener and I also left the butter out and just added the equivalent weight in extra peanut butter as it has more protein and I prefer it to plain butter.
    Next time I'll add some chopped dried fruit and maybe some seeds too. Also I think mine could do with a bit more sweetness either from more Canderel or some honey maybe.

Overall I am really pleased I made these, they are going to keep the hunger pangs at bay and also give a little sweet treat when I feel the urge. :wink:

Thanks again for posting your recipe Wendy! :flowerforyou:
  • katiwagner
    katiwagner Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish! Thanks! bump
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    bump! thanks!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Well my son has just come home from school and given his official verdict on these bars of; "yeah, they're all right" which is high praise indeed believe me! :laugh:

Thanks again for posting your recipe Wendy! :flowerforyou:

Hey that's great! My 13 yrd old son said basically the same. He still teases me about eating these for breakfast every morning.

I'm glad you like it! Tweak away. That's what I like about this recipe, it's easy to adapt it.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'd love a picture of these! Sounds tastey!
  • nessaryan
    nessaryan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • itsmejen1977
    Options
    Sounds yummy! :smile:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks!
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for this recipe for YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! thanks a bunch! gonna make a batch tonight
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    Interesting thanks. Will play around with the ingredients. Love Peanut butter
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    YUM!!!!!!!! THANKS! :)
  • sheribrasington
    Options
    Bump, Thank You fot the recipe. I will have to try and alter this. I love finding things I can fix when I need a snack for a sweet tooth kind of day.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    They sound yummy! Sorry if this has been asked (I'm running out the door to work), do you use old fashioned oats or quick oats?

Thanks so much!
  • teriann1979
    teriann1979 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try this. When using brown sugar, it would be helpful to know if it's packed or unpacked. The cals are way different.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'd love a picture of these! Sounds tastey!

If my phone had a camera, I'd snap a photo. Maybe I will think of it when I get home. Mine have a slight green tinge though because I added hemp seeds to this last batch.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    They sound yummy! Sorry if this has been asked (I'm running out the door to work), do you use old fashioned oats or quick oats?

Thanks so much!

I use old fashioned oats, just because that's what I always buy. But you can use quick oats. Another poster earlier said she used porridge and they came out well.