Cheat Days - Are You A Believer?

Options

Replies

• ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    For me its a double edged sword. I have been eating whatever I want on weekends. And while it isnt completely messing me up. I do notice that it is taking way too long to get rid of this tummy. The rest of me is getting slimmer and more defined but my abs are taking forever. I guess its true what they say about abs being made in the kitchen. So I am no longer doing my every weekend binge fest.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I can see how they are helpful to some people, but I never really found them to be useful for me. I just eat food I like normally on a daily basis, so I don't really feel like I need to go binge on crappy food very often.
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hell yes. I eat less during the week (900-1000 per day) and then I let loose on the weekends. Before anyone bashes me, I've lost 70 pounds doing this so...

What she said, ^^^^^^ except I've lost 84 pounds, we both can't be wrong
    > 154 pounds between us lol

I agree with both of you. I believe your metabolism does plateau and gets used to certain eatting habits (calorie intake) and it's a good spike to wake it up for another week. (on that note I still "try" to stick to high protein low fat meals even on cheat days)

and yes I lost 70 lbs with 1 cheat day every week
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    My "cheat days" are about 2,500 calories. I eat between 1,500-1,900 normally depending on exercise. I don't really see them as "cheat days" though. I know that I will never be able to sustain a lifestyle that doesn't include Chinese buffets, desserts, adult beverages etc. For me, it's just apart of my routine. So 2-3 times a month (7 days the months I am on vacation) I have 600 calories beyond losing .5 a week. That's 1,800 calories or roughly one half a pound. I do make an effort to have a monthly deficit of about that much, so that it balances out. However, if I don't -- oh well.

It's the journey for me.
  • Wwonderful
    Options
    I love cheat days and believe me, I eat anything and everything in sight and I still end up losing 2 to 3 pounds per week.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Hell yes. I eat less during the week (900-1000 per day) and then I let loose on the weekends. Before anyone bashes me, I've lost 70 pounds doing this so...

I am the same, but for me i just pretty much am maintaining my weight, which is OK,,,,I could do better for my last 10 pounds I want off though lol

I heard zigzaging your calories is supposed to be good....just to livin your metabolism up
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I may go slightly over on a meal but I do not have a whole cheat day. This just sets me up for failure, cause it takes a lot to lose a lb, but I can pack on 4 lbs in a weekend. One the days I know that I will be eating bad for a meal I try to work out more.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think each person has to do what works for them, me personally I eat what I want, in moderation, so I don't ever feel like I am missing out on my favorite foods.
  • smnassise
    smnassise Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honest to goodness...if I were hit by a bus, I might be thinking exactly that...I should have had that burger...WITH MAYO. :wink:
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I fully believe in cheat days. Like others have said, you should be making lifestyle changes, not following a diet.

So if you eat healthy for five days, go ahead and loosen the diet one day. This is not an excuse to go bat *kitten* crazy per se.

If you have been following a low calorie diet for several weeks, it is highly recommend to at least slightly overeat to reset hormone levels. Arguably, one day of overeating will not reset levels, several days or even a week of elevated calories is needed. Good thing the holidays are coming up!

Having one cheat day helps me to stay razor-focused on my nutrition the rest of the time. So if you use cheat days strategically, go for it.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I will have non-measuring, non-obsessive meals from time to time - like the night we went out for husband's birthday dinner - but I'm definitely not going to plan on an entire day of it. Not yet, anyway. I'm still too far from goal.
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My Personal Trainer encourages it. One cheat meal a week - normally at the weeked - I'll get a chinese/Indian or pizza - I find it helps me stay on track as I do be good for the rest of the week then.

I do a lot of excercise so I feel like I derserve a treat :)

Everyone is different but it works for me :drinker:

Same here! My trainer allows me to have one cheat meal and one cheat dessert per week. Prior to, I didn't really have any guidance so the weight wasn't really coming off. She prefers that I don't eat it at the same time (meal + dessert)..but so far it's working. Now I must say, a cheat meal is a normal size meal that you wouldn't eat on a regular basis...like a cheeseburger and fries, for instance. It's not a free day to eat so much that you derail your hard work.
  • Wwonderful
    Options
    I ain't mad at you at all, and when I crave it, I eat it!
  • formerlynobel
    formerlynobel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I am more of an 80/20 person most days, because I don't think I want to see what a cheat day would look like for me since my cravings tend to build up if I don't address them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I believe that once in a while it is good to eat a lot more than would be healthy if you did it every day. I believe it's good psychologically to know that you can do that and still lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. To know that you don't have think about your weight every single day of your life.

I don't think it's necessary and I'm not sure I believe it has any real impact on weight loss if it happens only occasionally. Also, I don't think having one day every week where you eat nothing but junk food is a good idea.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I dont have cheat days but sometimes I have cheat meals. One cheat meal once in awhile isnt going to do much.
  • ronaldmcyd
    ronaldmcyd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I find one cheeseburger always leads to another
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, I think this comes down to individual preference. I've not really had a need for cheat anything, just a couple of meals where we ate as a celebration for anniversary, birtday etc. However, why if you are making a lifestyle change do you have to make a whole cheat day especially if you are try to lose weight? One meal per week is one thing, but a whole day? You shouldn't have to deny yourself so often that you have this overarching desire for "cheating". In the end you are only going to cheat your own progress. I think once I'll go to maintenance that I'll continue to count during the week, but not be so serious on the weekend, but I don't currently have any problems sticking to my caloric limits. I've struggled with macros, but that is something different.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm on both side of this...

Yes because you deserve a treat every now and again...only if you are strong enough to stay on track

No because your body craves the bad foods and then you start getting comfortable in wanting to eat more and more.

ONLY if you can continue the road to success and staying on track.
  • merapp9
    merapp9 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I believe in trying to eat healthy all the time and every once in a while enjoying it. I don't have a specific day because sometimes it just happens and I try not to let it happen a lot because the more I keep eating the stuff that will be on a cheat day, the more I eat of it...then more and then more and more...get the picture here! :)