New To fitness pal - need help on calories and support

Options
Hello -

New to myfitnesspal.com. A little about me, I made a decision 3 months ago things needed to change, and I needed to apply the same determination I have in the rest of the area's of my life to getting health.

So I have quit smoking, been monitoring calories, and joined the gym. I have become completely addicted to body combat, and have been trying to go atleast 3 times a week (which is great since it burns anywhere from 700-900 calories per class). My issue is understanding how many calories I shoul be eating. Based on my weight and hieght, and what I wanted to lose per week, myfitnesspal said to eat 1200 calories a day. yesterday ate the required calories but with taking the class it said I have 633 calories remaining. Am I suppose to eat back the calories that I work off?

The reason I am confused is I have not been losing any weight in the last 3-4 weeks. My clothes are getting loser in areas, especially my arms, but the scale pretty much says the sma e thing in my weeekly weigh in's. I definitely weigh in less the day after I go to the gym...

Anyone out there with similar calorie requirements, want a buddy, or have some advice for me on the calorie intake when excersisng?

Replies

• MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can add me and join my group if you like... :)

And if you’re looking for more friends you can join my support group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

It sounds like you are making some great lifestyle choices and that is great!

I wouldn't get discouraged about not losing weight immediately. The fact that your clothes are getting loose means that you are losing inches. Try measuring yourself and it will be nice to see the changes to your body over the next several months.

Yes, you probably will want to eat back your exercise calories so that you are netting the 1200 that MFP has set for you. I try to eat mine back, but don't always eat all of them. That's okay. Just make sure you are netting enough calories per day and not depriving yourself of the nutrients it needs.

Congratulations on the changes you are making!
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello -

New to myfitnesspal.com. A little about me, I made a decision 3 months ago things needed to change, and I needed to apply the same determination I have in the rest of the area's of my life to getting health.

So I have quit smoking, been monitoring calories, and joined the gym. I have become completely addicted to body combat, and have been trying to go atleast 3 times a week (which is great since it burns anywhere from 700-900 calories per class). My issue is understanding how many calories I shoul be eating. Based on my weight and hieght, and what I wanted to lose per week, myfitnesspal said to eat 1200 calories a day. yesterday ate the required calories but with taking the class it said I have 633 calories remaining. Am I suppose to eat back the calories that I work off?

The reason I am confused is I have not been losing any weight in the last 3-4 weeks. My clothes are getting loser in areas, especially my arms, but the scale pretty much says the sma e thing in my weeekly weigh in's. I definitely weigh in less the day after I go to the gym...

Anyone out there with similar calorie requirements, want a buddy, or have some advice for me on the calorie intake when excersisng?

First off glad you have made the decision to improve your life.

Secondly, you ask the same questions almost every newbie MFP'er asks. Please read the wealth of info on these forums. Every question you have raised has been covered in excruciating detail.

"I have become completely addicted to body combat, and have been trying to go atleast 3 times a week (which is great since it burns anywhere from 700-900 calories per class)"
    Arguable if you are actually burning that many calories, but the body adapts, you will not continue to burn that high as you perform this more regularly. There are a million ways to lose weight, but I would highly recommend adding some strength training. It not only increases caloric burn and metabolism for up to 72 hours, it will also enact hugely beneficial hormonal changes. Minute for minute, it is the most effective tool for weight loss IMO.

"My issue is understanding how many calories I shoul be eating."
    1200 sounds awful low. Find a BMR calc online.

"Am I suppose to eat back the calories that I work off?"
    Personal preference, but honestly this whole idea of eating back calories perplexes me. If you do a combat class on that day, you obviously should eat more. If you do no activity on another day, eat less. How much should be governed by your progress and how your body feels, not some arbitrary number.

"especially my arms, but the scale pretty much says the sma e thing in my weeekly weigh in's."
    Perfectly normal, the fact you are seeing changes in body composition is awesome! Just stay on plan, the scale weight will eventually reflect the effort.

Eat whole foods, exercise, and get plenty of rest - you will see your desired results. We get so caught up in the minutia, and miss the forest for the trees. It is a marathon, not a spint, so dont stress when you fluctuate or stall. It will only last a week or two.

Good luck!
  • princessanna2662
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The 1200 calories is what myfitnesspal calculated, so I am going to assume that is reasonable, and since I dont feel starved I believe its prob accurate. I have added a body pump class to to alternate with the combat, and every two moths they change up the routines. I was thinking of adding pilates on my days off from the gym too. I recognize it isn't a sprint...believe me I have done this the worng way too many times. I am very committed to making this a life style change..one that is permanent. Getting adequate rest is a real issue for me lucky if I get 5-6 hours a day. I apprectiate you taking your time to aplly to my original post.
  • princessanna2662
    Options
    Thanks for the response!