Did you research GMOS when changing your diet?

Options

Replies

• Time2Recognize
    Options
    Selective breeding is a completely different thing from splicing genes and crossing entirely different species with each other. Eel genes in tomatoes for example, would NEVER happen in selective breeding! It's silly and downright childish and ignorant to assume there's no difference, no consequence, and no problem with it. Health consequences, we do not know. I've heard of some issues with the allergens being put into corn (one of the biggest GMO crops) created an inflation with human allergies. But we do not track test or label GMO. They label in Britain but not here in the US. you have to know what to look for as well as realize you can't always avoid it.

Let alone the environmental consequences! It's an uncontrolable "product". An organic or non GMO farmer five miles from an GMO crop cannot have any way of keeping GMO cross pollination from happening. So what happens? Monsanto sues that farmer for using their "technology" without compensation. WTF!? Essentially though, because these GMOs are in existence, there's nothing we can do to stop them from inhabiting nature. They are already here, no going back and it will be a mess in the future, more so than it is now. Nature provides us everything we need, from the ability to selectively breed to the types of plants and animals to do that with that will bring us optimal health. We start to **** around with that, it will bring consequences to our miserable species. I he the Mayans are right and there will be a major shift in the world, be it the end or a new begining who knows. But at this rate, we are bringing it upon ourselves. We do not own this planet though we try to pretend to. We cannot galavant around shoving the genes of ne animal from the ocean into some plant from the earth and expect nothing strange and unnexpected to occur. We cannot use up and abuse the resources we've come to manipulate and expect that to last forever.

Could this be life? Well then, once again.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    ^agree!!!!!!!!
  • Time2Recognize
    Options
    While I do not support the use of GMO's for controlling food supplies for profit, I recognize that they are in my food and I eat them. I do not worry overly about the health effects because, honestly, we've all eaten them for years. Can you point out a negative health effect that directly results from GMO's? No. So, as far as I'm concerned, they're ok to eat. If you can identify which foods they are in (which you can't unless it's disclosed that these foods are genetically modified), then I actively don't buy them. I'm more worried about High Fructose Corn Syrup in our diet and how we raise our cattle to be brought to mass market slaughter than I am about GMOs.

Agreed

Just to be clear, HFCS is GMO. The corn raised for the processing into HFCS is GMO crop. Also, the beef and livestock we raise is fed on GMO and as we are what we eat, so are they. So in a sense, GMO is still part of the concern here. Without it, we couldnt raise enough corn to feed and fatten the animals on CAFO farms. It's an interconnected thing. You can try and divide it as two separate issues, but then the whole I true is ignored.

As for health consequences, who the **** knows? We don't label, there are very few research articles in it, and the few that exist are not accessible. Even if there is no direct health consequence to us, the environment we live in and thrive off of is where the problem lay for sure. If our environment is unhealthy, or has unbalance or sickness, it will follow unto us. It's how nature works and while humans are very skilled at forgetting that and living in our own little created, often dillusional world, reality does matter. We are here as a part of nature.

Ps, I do not mean to sound offensive or agressive if I do, and if I do, I did not intend to direct it at anyone personally, I just feel strongly about this issue and like most people, my passion can tend to light some fire! Peace with all and health to all. Open mindedness as well.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern about them is the aspect of economics. What *some* GMO companies (Monsanto), and the U.S. government are doing to farmers is unacceptable, not to mention working conditions for Monsanto employees.

I also support labeling and informed consumer choices.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    I oppose hunger and population control so I support GMOs. Billions of people owe their life to the green revolution. It is likely that in the future billions will owe their life to GMOs. Looking at the past ways of food production are incompatible with the needs of future societies that number 15-20 billion people.
  • Time2Recognize
    Options
    I oppose hunger and population control so I support GMOs. Billions of people owe their life to the green revolution. It is likely that in the future billions will owe their life to GMOs. Looking at the past ways of food production are incompatible with the needs of future societies that number 15-20 billion people.

That's Monsanto saying it will "feed the world". Show me some scientific data -NOT produced directly or indirectly (as in funded) by Monstanto- which indicates that these GMO crops will feed the world population. If there is one, cool, I'd like to see it. But given what happened in India already, I do not see how Monsanto will save the world. The earth will only sustain so many humans before we simply outnumber its resources. Fact of life.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=can-genetically-modified-crops-feed-09-04-16

http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/ge-fails-to-increase-yields-0219.html

The last one just an overall article about gm around the world-ish. Rather positive view, but not much detail in regards to outspread effects, long term,mand the like.

http://www.nextgenerationfood.com/article/genetically-modified-food-around-the-world
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Many GMOs are designed to add pesticides to the plants especially corn and now they are selling GMO sweet corn. Not something I want to ingest. Therefore, we try to eat all nonGMO. However, we currently feed GMO feed to our chickens and beef as there is not a nonGMO option here. I think at the very least they should require labeling so that consumers can make a choice.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    for some of us the questionis not a health one but a religious one!
    While I don't believe that taking a gene from organism and placing them in another should automatically make that organism non-kosher (eel and salmon have more similarities than differences, genetically), I'm not religious, so I guess I can't fully understand. The rules about what one can and can't eat seem arbitrary to me anyway, and not scientific in any sense.

it's the differences that matter to those of us that are religious though.

I get that, and you should definitely have the option to eat non-GMO.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Some GMO's are "lets breed a plum and a grape and see what happens" usually, I'm curious enough to try.

Other GMO's are "lets genetically choose for strains that are disease/fungus/mold resistant" which can lead to less chemicals on my food trees, I'm all for that too.

It makes me sad that a lot of my GMO food seeds aren't viable. I think it would be fun to see what would happen a generation later... Tomatoes with three eyes and oranges with three arms trying to eat me would be awesome. FEED ME SEYMOUR.

I also enjoy organic too. And I LOVE growing heirlooms.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I've done research and reading on GMOs. Honestly, I don't think they're nearly as dangerous or bad for you as most people would have you think. The issue I take with them is how companies like Monsanto gain monopoly on their seeds. The way they treat farmers just disgusts me. I do try to avoid GMOs sometimes for this reason, and I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's which is free of GMOs. But it's not something I actively try to avoid, but I do believe it should all be labeled and such.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    If there's a clear choice, I choose non-GMO. It's going to be awhile before long-term effects are fully understood, and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Sometimes the presence of GMO is just plain unknown since USA is not required to label such products. I'm assume I'm getting my fair share.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Selective breeding, I have no problem with...it's when they actually start manipulating the DNA that I start to get nervous. Something about it just seems wrong to me, but I can't say I've done a lot of research on my food to find out what might fall into either category.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You can only obsess on food so much before there is nothing you can eat but things you personally grow which almost all can not do.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    :laugh: :wink:

It makes me sad that a lot of my GMO food seeds aren't viable. I think it would be fun to see what would happen a generation later... Tomatoes with three eyes and oranges with three arms trying to eat me would be awesome. FEED ME SEYMOUR.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I live in the magic world of tomorrow wherein I carry a tiny computer in my pocket that connects me to virtually the sum total of human knowledge; I like that we a re genetically modifying things. I wish we were genetically modifying more things. I also wish that I had a jet pack.

DoUpl.jpg
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_GMO_study_cancer_tumors_organ_damage.html

I'm no sure how I feel about this study and I have not researched it enough to see how valid it is, but it was still an interesting read.

Personally, if I have a clear choice, I try and avoid GMO products as much as possible, but that is sometimes a lot easier said then done
  • Time2Recognize
    Options
    Another article in why GMO will not feed the world.
    Links to a 600 ish page report on this issue. So if you would like to do some research, here you go!

http://www.anh-usa.org/will-gmos-really-feed-the-world/
  • rdmchugh
    Options
    Watch this http://geneticroulettemovie.com/ It is normally pay-per-view, but it is free through October 17.

And, it has been proven that GMOs do not produce more food per acre, with more studies coming in daily. Of course Monsanto does not want you to know this: http://www.nationofchange.org/yet-another-reason-gmos-suck-1349875727
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    Watch this http://geneticroulettemovie.com/ It is normally pay-per-view, but it is free through October 17.

And, it has been proven that GMOs do not produce more food per acre, with more studies coming in daily. Of course Monsanto does not want you to know this: http://www.nationofchange.org/yet-another-reason-gmos-suck-1349875727

WOW! great video. I think I will order a copy for my public library to have.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Great discussion!

In California, prop 37 is on the ballot to require the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms. It has about 85% citizen support, but now money's getting thrown behind the opposition to the bill, by - yep - Monsanto.