Handing out the sweet stuff this Halloween?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Pick a candy you hate that others like. Almond joy and milky way bars would be mine.

THIS is an excellent strategy!
  • Leahbcc
    Leahbcc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Go out to an apple orchard and pick apples and then offer then to the children. Healthy. Also there are boxes like candy with stickers in them. Have fun and enjoy
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I give out candy...just the good stuff I wanted when I was little. Kids need to be kids and enjoy it.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite houses when i was a kid didn't even pass out candy. they gave out little cute gift bags with halloween stuff like stickets, erasers, a little notebook... cute halloween stuff. Fun and not unhealthy!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh, FPS. Halloween candy is not the cause of childhood obesity. Either keep your porch light off or give out some candy.
  • Justa_Paperbag
    Justa_Paperbag Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    They have coupon books at Wendy's for a free frosty that I always loved getting when I trick or treated. They're not very expensive to buy, either, and no temptation because it's just paper.
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    a)not being american and
    b)not feeling like I have to give in to this "clinton cards" bullsh*t

I don't answer the doorbell at halloween. I do not encourage kids to threaten old ladies and get fat! Sorry! I love kids, I just don't do hallmark holidays.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Most people have funny answers to this.... but I boycot the whole thing and I don't care who hates me. HAHAHAHA

I don't have kids, so I really don't get into the whole "spirit" thing. I don't want the candy in my house.

How long is trick or treating? Go shopping or to the gym or something during that time instead of just holeing up in your house like a scrooge! LOL
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Kids like the spider rings, skeleton rings. you can pick them up at a dollar store 100 for a buck. In my neighborhood all the neighbors sit outside. I usually give my candy to the neighbor. Some people actually give out pennies, you can always give out pencils as well. The cheapest I would think are the rings. I know when I was a kid I loved the pennies. Not might be great for kids. When I don't want to eat something I put a big no on the bag, box etc. Works well. I never did appreciate when people gave out the crappy candy. We would always call them cheap cheap like we hated mary jane's. Is there something you hate, licorice, smarites, jaw breakers. Don''t stress over this.you can get thru it. Besides I love seeing all the kids and babies dressed up.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    We compromise a little. It used to be all candy (and plenty of it - our neighborhood is crazy-full of kids), but we found that it's just as cheap to go by Target and pick up tubes of glow-stick bracelets (15 for $1). I bought $20 worth of glowsticks, then a couple bags of candy (which I asked my much-taller husband to hide someplace high until the night of, so we're not breaking into it and blowing diets). So the kids that REALLY want the sweets, can have them. Although it seems like last year we ran out of the glow sticks a lot faster than we did candy - they were super popular.

Note: do NOT use pencils - even shiny halloween-themed ones with black cat erasers. I got eyebrows the year before, and comments from my kids like "School supplies? REALLY, Mom? Why don't you just give out toothpaste, and kill all chances of us having friends here?"
  • khall83
    khall83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This year - in order to keep myself from eating the candy I am going to buy something that I dont like - but a lot of other kids will like. Another option (and this is VERY popular in my neighborhood) I live in a nice cul-de-sac and I have three boys that I take out trick or treating and every year they come home with at leat 5-10 bags of mini-popcorn..Which is kind of awesome b/c popcorn isnt that terrible, and you can use the m&m's you get at other people's houses to put in it! lol

Honestly though, its once a year and the kids really enjoy it..If someone gave me an apple as a kid I would have taken to be polite but then thrown it away later..For one, I wouldnt eat fresh fruit from someone I dont know that well (snow white) and for two..well its halloween and its an apple :)

So if you are just worried about yourself (like I am) then buy something you don't like or go out and buy candy the DAY OF halloween so you dont have it sitting there tempting you for weeks before...Another thing we have started doing is after a night of trick or treating we have a TON of candy between my three boys...I let them pick out their favorites - probably enough to last for a couple of weeks and then we donate the rest to the program that takes the candy overseas..I can't remember what its called, but our dentist office sponsored it last year :) just a thought..Happy Halloween!
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I always hand out candy! It's Halloween! I buy Skittles/jelly beans/gummy bears etc that I don't care for and load them up! It's not my job to police what other people's kids eat, I just get in the spirit of Halloween! Also all that walking to and from the door and squats down to put the candy in their bags keeps me moving too! :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    a)not being american and

I don't answer the doorbell at halloween. I do not encourage kids to threaten old ladies and get fat! Sorry! I love kids, I just don't do hallmark holidays.
    Halloween is not a "Hallmark holiday" by a long shot. - it goes back to the 16th Century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

I'm SO glad I live in the country though...no dealing with all that hassle...
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    So basically what you're asking is...

"Do I want the kids that are going to TP my house to use Charmin or some other off brand? And how do I remove eggs from my car?"

Kids want candy. Period. You'll be forever known as that house with the lady that gave out apples. It's one holiday. It's up to their parents to police their candy consumption, not you. And if it's really that big of a deal to you, don't give out candy. Fun sized candy calories though are not that bad. And they fit conveniently in your purse.

You are my hero...
  • MRSCHAZZY
    MRSCHAZZY Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    omg why are folks in the past years over thinking halloween??? the devil, the sugar! for real?? geez get real! its FUN!! you did it as a child im sure. its an indulgence for one day. a stinking day? what next? i, as a adult, should second guess getting dressed up and going out and getting smashed? lighten up.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    yeah i think change is a great idea! $2 bills are always fun- you can get those at the bank, but could get expensive quick if you're expecting a lot of kids. or what about small bags of kettle corn? it's still fun and kids like it, but not as bad as candy.

or stickers, kids love stickers.
    Kettle corn what a great idea. If you can find it prepackaged tho, might be tough.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So basically what you're asking is...

"Do I want the kids that are going to TP my house to use Charmin or some other off brand? And how do I remove eggs from my car?"

Kids want candy. Period. You'll be forever known as that house with the lady that gave out apples. It's one holiday. It's up to their parents to police their candy consumption, not you. And if it's really that big of a deal to you, don't give out candy. Fun sized candy calories though are not that bad. And they fit conveniently in your purse.

AGREED!!! Let the parents worry about their children's candy intake and let them have a little fun :)

I never wanna be "the lady in that house" - UGH!

Cheers!
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    a)not being american and

Ummm...yeah...halloween isn't exactly a "hallmark holiday".
  • sweetiepaia
    sweetiepaia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i buy the chocolate and hand out a BUTT load to get rid of them fast so i dont eat all of them.....my house became very popular ....kids leaving my house would yell "hey come here hurry this house is not cheap"......so all my candy left fast and had no left overs hehe
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Juice boxes. Seriously, I knew every house as a kid that handed out sodas or juice because they were my favorites. After walking around for hours and hours, you get thirsty.