When should I add lifting to my workout?

Options
So I have kind of just started this whole process and I have some questions. I do cardio at least 3 times a week I normally make it to 4. I do one hour on the treamill at 3.0 MPH and a 1.0 inline, and plan on adding speed and incline as I go. should I add weights now or wait until lose some weight? I am 5"4 and 252 at last weight in but it has been coming off pretty fast. My original plan is to wait until I hit a plateau and then add weights to get me over the bump.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Don't wait, start now. I wish I had started from day one. Losing weight is easy, getting in shape/getting strong is much more difficult. The longer you wait the more you will regret it. There is zero benefit to waiting.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Don't wait, strength training complements your cardio, if you could....start yesterday.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    last week
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    last week

^This. I haven't been lifting long (only a couple of months) but I can tell you that I am getting comments right and left about my weight loss.....and I haven't lost too much in that time period (wasn't strict with my diet). And - I went down a full pants size.

Lifting makes you look good.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    When you were 14 at the latest
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Now.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Agreed to start now. :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a time machine, and if you do, let me borrow it, start now.

I wish I started sooner. I could have avoided the droopy-*kitten* phase. :grumble: The more muscle you keep while losing weight, the fewer pounds you'll have to lose to achieve the body you want.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    The time you should have started lifting weights was May 2011 when you joined MFP. But, no worries, you can start now. :flowerforyou:
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Incorporate lifting as soon as possible!! I would also suggest not going a straight hour on the treadmill at the same setting (3.0 at 1% incline) ... every couple of minutes, up the speed or incline (or both) for about 30 seconds at a time, then go back down ... the quick jump in speed/incline for short periods of time will do wonders!! =)
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Yesterday!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a time machine, and if you do, let me borrow it, start now.

I wish I started sooner. I could have avoided the droopy-*kitten* phase. :grumble: The more muscle you keep while losing weight, the fewer pounds you'll have to lose to achieve the body you want.
    ^^^ this.

Was just talking about this. Lifting WILL help you lose fat in the long run because the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn even at rest because your body has to use energy to maintain them. There is zero benefit to waiting. You will get better results and lose inches faster if you start lifting ASAP.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Today! No reason to wait at all!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Now. :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The question is, why aren't you already?
  • djmauck
    djmauck Posts: 18
    Options
    Start now, and do squats!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I'm glad I read this thread....going to start lifting asap!
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have shifted from endurance lifting (high reps) to heavy and I love it do it now!!!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yesterday.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Now! And I think a 3 day split would work great with your schedule. You could do like I do if you want (just an example): Monday chest and triceps, Wednesday legs and shoulders, Friday back and bicep. Sunday is an optional day. I hate cardio so I only do it 10-15 minutes a day. And don't be scared to lift HEAVY!