Sushi - Good For You?

Options
Is sushi really as good for you as it is made out to be? I am referring to the fresh, raw meat rolls, none of the tempura rolls, etc. When I look up standard rolls in the database (tuna, salmon, etc.) I see a huge array for calories/nutrition facts and I would love to know what is accurate!

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i dunno but it's efing NOMZY .. om nom nom
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    It can be. The sashimi is probably the best for you, or the rolls (such as california) that don't have all the mayo type ingredients or other various sauces etc.

I'm a sushi ADDICT lol
  • monstercakes
    monstercakes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    yes it is pretty healthy! if it is an option, get them to use brown rice. raw fish i great protein, and there's usually not much fat or any weird preservatives.
    Eat up :)
  • jc501
    jc501 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the roll...
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It's fun to make it yourself too... we usually either make it without rice, or using genmai, which is supposed to be super nutritious. And then you can control how much sauce and stuff goes into it. Yum!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    White rice isn't great for you and has quite a few calories, and sometimes the sauces can get fatty. But as far as nutrients go, high quality fish, seaweed, and veggies are good for you. But they can be high cal, especially because so many rolls include avocado and various sauces.
  • caoceanlover
    caoceanlover Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think it is good for you. It is low in calories and yes, the rice has a lot of carbs, but I am finding a lot of sushi places will give you the option of brown rice now. I stay away from rolls with any tempura things in them and if they say they have a sauce, I ask them to hold it. Most of the time I order nigri and sashimi to keep the carbs lower.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    listening in... i know i eat WAY too much of it, but i have to believe that eating sushi 2 or 3 times a week is better than giving into ordering pizza/cheeseburgers/cheese fries/mozzarella sticks! lol

IMHO, at least it's whole and natural ingredients if you stick with the more basic rolls. I love eel avocado, tuna avocado, and of course philadelphia rolls. I can also live solely on ikura sashimi and be the happiest person in the world =)

of course the flip side is that sushi tends to be high in sodium because of the sauces and drizzles, and if you eat wayy too much sushi you have to worry about high mercury levels.
  • kickers19
    kickers19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Now I want sushi for dinner!
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Sushi is pretty healthy, fish is really good for you, I love sushi and especially love yellowtail because it is so low cal! However despite the fish being good for you, most of the fish have mercury or are farmed, so try and avoid/limit how much you have of albacore tuna, swordfish, shark, tilefish, king mackerel, clams, lobsters, oysters, shrimp and scallops if you want to avoid excess toxins.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I believe some of it non fried can be high in calories. But I believe they're good calories. Salmo,n avocado and tuna can be fatty but therye good fats. White rice is not intrinsically bad. Think of all the nutrients your getting from the seaweed and etc. I usually order 2 rolls and just take one home for dinner. Just stay away from the mayos.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yep. Protein, healthy fish oil fats. Especially sashimi. THE BOMB
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    i dunno but it's efing NOMZY .. om nom nom

^This^
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Now I want sushi for dinner!

MEEEE too!!!!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's not low-calorie, if that's what you are asking.

But it does contain minerals and is a good source of protein. I eat sushi once every week or so, it's one of my favorite things ever. Agreed that the more basic rolls, rather than shrimp tempura, mayo-sauced rolls, are better. Sashimi is the best!!
  • sweetiepaia
    sweetiepaia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    it better be...i'm a sushi adict and now you just made me want some
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm i want some cali crunch rolls for lunch!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    It sure is! It can get confusing with all the 'special' rolls out there. Here's some rules I follow:

1) Do choose sashimi/nigiri (one piece of raw fish on top of rice) instead of the rolls where you can. Less rice, more protein.
    2) Swap brown rice for white if ever possible
    3) Try the salmon! Low mercury and great for you. Tuna is good too but fatty. Still, it is good fat. I also LOVE eel (unagi)
    4) Avoid anything with "spicy" in the title... usually just means spicy mayo.
    5) Avoid "crispy" anything.
    6) Egg (tomago) can be a healthy option

Where most people get into trouble is the "special" rolls. They are usually laden with tempura, fattening sauces, and far too much rice. Now I want sushi!
  • julesassid
    Options
    I was just logging for my sushi night out tonight and was also surprised by some of the totals. But, I love it and it's fresh and delicious, so I'll save 800-900 calories for dinner and wine! :drinker:
  • billhouston1
    Options
    As long as you stay away from rolls covered in sauce and mayo, it is pretty good. Try making at home with Brown Nishki rice seasoned with rice vinegar and a touch of sugar. It is pretty easy and fun (also delicious).