LENT!

Options

Replies

• OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I gave up 3 things...one at each level of difficulty :wink: ...

Easy: Alcohol (Not a big deal at all, really :drinker: )
    Medium: Facebook (I went without it for 27 years, I think I can do it for 40 days :tongue: )
    Hard: Swearing (Sometimes I think I'm a sailor :laugh: ...seriously though, the F-bomb drops too easily)

Good luck to everyone and their Lenten vows :flowerforyou:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Those that are participating in this, what are you giving up?
    I'm giving up peanut butter. I have a sick obsession (no really, its sick) and feel I'm adding on an extra (average) 400 cals/day just eating spoonfuls out of the jar! Sadly, I do this all the time!
    2 TBS. = 190 cals.

After Lent, might I suggest you check out Better'n Peanut Butter? I just got some from Trader Joe's and I really do like it better than peanut butter!

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/

Lisa - fellow PB addict
  • ebh1024
    ebh1024 Posts: 186
    Options
    Okay...I'm a little behind. Not Cathloic but would like to participate. I have two things that I would like to give up and that would be (1) sweets - mainly chocolate. OMG did I just say that I am giving up chocolate...maybe I need to rethink that one! No I think I can give up sweets including chocolate. Then (2) would be to give up Fast Food. That is my weakness too. I tend to pick at the kids food when we go out for Fast Food (especially MickieDee's Fries). So, there it is official...BLACK AND WHITE.

Now if someone can just tell me when the official start date was (is) and when does this end? That would be nice. I've never done this, but hey others can and well so can I.

Thanks...ONEMISSION!!!! You are my inspiration.
  • kmcrone
    Options
    Good luck with all of that! Lent began on Wednesday - The day after Mardi Gras when everyone gets all their "sins" out! the day you can eat or do what you gave up again is Easter - April 4 this year.

I gave up diet coke for lent - which I just realized means that I also gave up my adult beverage of choice - Bacardi and Diet - Oh Well!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i gave up facebook. :D
    dawn

Oh good luck girl...I so couldn't think I could do that. I'm pulling for you.

thanks! i need all the support i can get! :)

Yes, good luck with that!!!! I just yesterday deleted all my photo albums and 100 of my friends. im slowly trying to wean myself away!!!!
  • catmando21
    catmando21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I gave up chocolates (Dove promises in particular!!) and snacks such as chips, pretzels etc. I think if Jesus can fastttttt for 40 days/nights, I can fast on just these two things!
  • marjaskow
    Options
    If I try to give something up it only makes me want it more. I figure giving something up for lent is supposed to be something that makes you better so I try to be more aware of making better choices instead.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    If I try to give something up it only makes me want it more. I figure giving something up for lent is supposed to be something that makes you better so I try to be more aware of making better choices instead.

I like that....better choices...
  • areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    OK....2 days down with no sweets...38 to go! HOw's everyone doing
  • ZuniDi
    Options
    I am giving of meat (except on Sundays) and all sugar, including Chocolate. This is a good time to reflect on the things I have let control me instead of me controlling them.
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone has some great answers here!
    Yesterday I had a piece of chocolate someone left on my desk, a little treat in place of the PB spoonfuls. I normally do not buy/keep chocolate and candy in my home because I have little self control over sweets, so the chocolate will not be something I'll be grabbing for on a regular basis to treat the PB withdrawals! LOL.
    2 days down- 38 to go!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Note to myself-I am so grateful that I dont like chocolate.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Per suggestion of my pastor.... I've given up sleeping in on Sundays. So that is for my faith. I also have given up candy, which I always pulled the "just one piece" line with the office candy jar, but it always turned into four. So that is for me, but I know I will need His help. I'm a severe chocoholic. Is that my cross to bear? Take up your cross and follow me. . .
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing...5 full days down!!!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've worried about important stuff...just the scale this week :sad: and I haven't heard my daughter complain....so far, so good
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol, which for me is going to be interesting. I love going for beers with my buddies. It will be better on the wallet, the waste line and no hangovers will be great lol! But I think ultimately I chose it because it is better to do without things we enjoy to grow closer to what should be our real priority, our relationship with god.
  • ZuniDi
    Options
    Not craving the sugar yet. So far so good. It truly is a time to focus on God and our relationship with Him.
  • emberd
    emberd Posts: 36
    Options
    I gave up soda...any kind. I am a pepsi addict, but don't want to replace it with diet pepsi or diet anything, really. It's helping so far. Anytime I feel temptaion, I remember that I chose to do this to show my faith and it helps the craving pass.
  • yoopergirl
    yoopergirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had completely forgotten about Lent. I will however give up being so hard on myself. I will treat myself the way I treat others & allow myself human failures that in other I usually overlook, but kill myself over.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing...5 full days down!!!

i am soooo missing facebook and all my 'online' friendships! i feel very out of the loop and tempted to cheat all the time. if i am not careful, i might fall into using mfp as a surrogate way to feel connected instead. it is a hard line to balance. i have replaced the time i spent on facebook focusing on a bible study, but i can not keep up a 3-hour daily bible study. i need to find something lasting.
    dawn