Heart Rate Monitors & Nike Fuel Band

Options
I'm planning on getting a HRM but don't know where to start! There's so many!!
The #1 reason for me to get one is to keep track on how many calories I burn.
& I'm not planning to spend more than $100 on one..

So my question to you is...
Do you own 1? If so, which one? Do you love it?

Does anyone own a Nike Fuel Band?
If so, was it worth it? or is it inaccurate?

Replies

• 69Greer
    69Greer Posts: 36
    Options
    I got a Polar FT60 after I lost my first 10 pounds as a a reward. That was back around May of this year. It is a little over $100 new but you can find one on ebay for cheaper and usually still in the box. I like mine because it keeps a pretty accurate calorie burn and also provides some other features like a fitness test for your heart. I just like the extra feedback. I was using the eliptical at the gym and it would interface with the machine without any input but I have since started running a local trail. Probably I will find myself back on the machines at the gym during the late fall and winter since I won't have as much daylight though.
  • MSxJENNY
    MSxJENNY Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The Nike fuelband is not a HRM, so it's incredibly inaccurate as far as that goes. It's an OK motivational tool, especially if you have friends that also use it because of the competitiveness that it fosters. But you're not going to get hard numbers off of it with regard to calories or steps. It'll still give you those and i'm not sure how accurate they are not having anything to compare it with.

My wife and I use it mostly for the fuel number which is nike's attempt to create a common baseline for people of different abilities/physiques. for example myself and my wife. She's 4' 10" and 100 pounds now (yay MFP) and i'm 5' 10" and 250 (still working on it) if we go by calories burned between her and me -- I will skunk her because i'm a bigger machine that takes more fuel to accomplish what she can do with far less. But both of us doing similar exercise will come up with approximate fuel numbers.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it! Got it for about 60 bucks off Amazon.
  • aarilynn
    aarilynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the polar FT4 too... I too got mine off of Amazon. It's basic, but it does what I need it to. :) I love it! I can't workout without it. Actually, I won't work out without it. If I didn't have it, i wouldn't know what exercises were actually getting my heart rate up. Also, I like to keep in my fat burning zone and this little watch will let me set my zone. :)
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. I love it and it's simple to use.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and love it! There are only a couple of differences between that and the FT4, but they were things I really wanted, like storage of 100 workout records. I had an F4 before that and it was also great. I'm a diehard Polar fan :)
  • mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    commenting to keep track on this cause i need a calorie tracker and was thinking of getting a nike fuel band! actually im saving for one now!
  • Stephanie_skinny
    Stephanie_skinny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT40. I love it!!! It tells me how many calories I burned, my heart rate, fitness test, % of calories burned from fat. Its simple and its Awesome!!!! I also like the cool women design, and the watch is white!! Which most HRM are black.
    Hope this helps ;)
  • bhfood
    bhfood Posts: 77
    Options
    I got a HRM at Big 5 on clearance and I have mixed feelings. today I tried to use it same way I did before and it didn't work. I don't recommend mine: Bowflex Heart Rate Monitor. I would say from my exper. with this one. try to find one that doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. mine is too complicated.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and I love it!! Have had it about 1.5 years and since losing the weight I need to purchase a smaller size so thinking I may do the FT7 this go round. I have yet to meet someone with a Polar who was not happy :)
    I've not heard of the Nike band.
  • mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    what do you all think of this one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polar-WomensFT4-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B005O9JJVI/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349982026&sr=8-1-fkmr3
    should i buy it? just wondering cos theres been a few different names

in reality all i want is something to track the exact calories i burn in a day to note down on mfp
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    We have 2 FT7 is my family and 1 FT4. I definitely like the Polar line but have had issues with the chest band and sent it in for a warranty replacement. They told me I needed to hand wash with soap after every use and 1x week in the washing machine (btw, workout 6-7x per week). I wasn't quite doing that much maintenance and started to get crazy readings on the HRM.

After the band was replaced I didn't have any problems until a mud run a few weeks back. The start/stop button just stopped working. Granted, the HRM wasn't designed to be dunked in mud but I would've thought it was a bit more water resistant.

Bottom line: good watch but NOT indestructible and wash your chest band.

PS - I'm wearing my FT7 in my avatar : )
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40 and am really happy with it. I like the storage of workout files and weekly totals, the constant feedback on if you are in the fat burning or fitness zone and so on. The band is super comfortable and the "watch" part is white and while not pretty, it's not as ugly as many HRMs.

I got it from Amazon for $106.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    a HRM and FuelBand are two completely different products.

HRM will give you a reading of how many calories are burned.

FuelBand you just accumulate "fuel" - it's an arbitrary number. Does a good job if what you want to do is maintain a baseline of activity. Be aware that vibration throws it off - so if you mow the lawn you'll have higher numbers than if you walk around the yard.
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump for future info :)
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    When I was looking to buy a HRM, I was overwhelmed and confused by so many different heart rate monitors. I watched dozens of videos and read many reviews, I finally decided on the Polar FT60 - I love it! I got mine from Bodytronics.com. It was $127 and free shipping. So well worth the money.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    If you have an iPhone a great HRM is the Wahoo BLUEHR. It's a bluetooth HRM that connects with the iPhone and is awesome. It has a stand alone app called Wahoo Fitness but the good thing about it for me is that it will also sync to my Cyclemeter app. It will also export data to Nike+ app as well. Oh, and it's only $80.

check it out.
    http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Blue-HR-Heart-Rate-Strap.asp
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones input. I too am looking for a HRM so this thread has been very helpful!!!!!
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone a great HRM is the Wahoo BLUEHR. It's a bluetooth HRM that connects with the iPhone and is awesome. It has a stand alone app called Wahoo Fitness but the good thing about it for me is that it will also sync to my Cyclemeter app. It will also export data to Nike+ app as well. Oh, and it's only $80.

check it out.
    http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wahoo-Fitness-Wahoo-Blue-HR-Heart-Rate-Strap.asp

WOW, thanks for the great info !!