Thanks -- I think I finally get it

Options
Thank you everyone for posting your success. I have been "lurking" on this site for about two weeks, adding friends, logging -- sometimes -- and trying to get myself to take the first step and exercise (dusted off my videos and hand weights last night). I've always gotten discouraged and couldn't stick with any program for very long because I just wasn't losing enough .... but I relealized something today. Getting healthy is not a quick fix, not a gimick to lose a ton of weight quickly. Most success stories I've read today are achieved by losing sensibly -- 5 - 8 pounds per month and sticking to it. DAH.... I just have to get the right mind frame that this is a lifestyle change that I really want..... and I REALLY do. I want to wear shorts next summer and join my kids in our pool. I could lose 60 pounds by then (7 months). I just have to quit obsessing about the scale and do it. I could be at my goal in about a year and a half (115 lb loss) THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Replies

• gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    That's step numero uno! Welcome aboard the train to Healthy, USA. It might be a drag at first, but it gets more and more fun as time goes by.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I don't have a "success" yet but glad to be joining you on this journey ... ! :flowerforyou:
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I didn't really "get it" untill I started losing weight. After the first month, I had lost 12 pounds, but was still put off, because it had literally felt like one of the longest months of my life.

Now I'm ten days into my second month, but because of the good eating habits I established last month (I made half of my food vegetables and cut out soda, fastfood, candy, etc) time is going by faster. Once you've established a routine, I would agree that the hardest part is waiting.
    Though the most helpful thing I've found is to stop waiting and just go a day at a time, without thinking about how far away the future is. The thought of five more months is so discouraging to me, so I don't think about it. It was always a failing point, working hard without seeing fast results and then giving up.

So find your health regime, plough through it for a month, and then sit back, relax, and enjoy the journey, I suppose
    One month down, five more to go
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    There really is a learning curve, and you will have days where you either feel like quitting, or you realize you just took two steps backward by eating-that-thing-you-just-ate.

It's okay, though, as long as you just keep at it. The only way you fail at this is by quitting. Be patient and keep studying your habits, patterns, and food. You'll be so glad you did - this time next year. . . and it does get easier with practice. Let yourself enjoy holidays and birthdays, don't obsess, and just make the best choices you can.
  • Lisame11
    Lisame11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi vickie,

I think that's something I struggle with too. I want more results faster. But like you, I reached a point where I was ready. There are a few things which I actually wrote down to remind myself often:

Things like:
    Enjoy your achivements, big or small. They are all steps along your way to your goal.
    Be reasonable. How long did it take to get in the shape you are in now? Give your body a chance to regain its appearance in time.
    Believe in yourself and your ability to be successful.
    Thinking positive. Remembering to think "I am....." (losing weight/getting fitter/eating healthily). Instead of thinking "I will/I am going to).
    Another thing which usually helps is thinking what do I want more? The chocolate or a happier slimmer me? Most times that's enough. If not I try to have a cuppa first, then some fruit. If I still want a treat after that I have a small one and stay in control. :-)

Hope this helps. You sound like you are really ready to start your journey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!