HUGE Canadian Beef Recall

For everyone living in Canada, XL Foods has made a voluntary recall on most of the beef products they produce. Many of their products have been tested positive for E coli bacteria.

The list of products being recalled is WAY too long to list, but can be found at this site:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/corpaffr/recarapp/2012/20121001e.shtml

Basically, if you bought beef from

Thrifty Foods,
Save-On-Foods,
Overwaitea Foods,
Cooper's Foods,
PriceSmart Foods,
Bulkley Valley Wholesale,
Real Canadian Superstore,
Extra Foods,
Real Canadian Wholesale Club,
Costco Wholesale Canada,
Walmart,
Sobeys,
IGA,
Co-op,
Super A,
Big Way,
Safeway,
No Frills,
Shop Easy,
SuperValu,
Westfair,
Your Independent Grocer

You should throw it out/return it.

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    bump
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Meh...I'm eating mine. Too much to waste.
    When one breaks down larger packs to smaller portions for the freezer, one forgets the sell date.
    I've eaten some of the ribeyes and some of the strip loins already so...
    Should be safe right? ;)
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    REASONS THAT I'M A VEGETARIAN EEEEEEEW!!!!!!!! Even though I'm in Oklahoma. Have fun with that!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Uhm the recall is in the US now too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    REASONS THAT I'M A VEGETARIAN EEEEEEEW!!!!!!!! Even though I'm in Oklahoma. Have fun with that!
    Yes, because e. coli is NEVER found on fruits and veggies. :huh:
  • FredDoyle
    It was discovered in the US. :D

Still glad you're a vegetarian then I guess. :)
    Being a carnivore, well omnivore I guess, I'm fairly immune to e-coli.
    Maybe a mild stomach upset.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Thanks for reaffirming my choice to be vegan.

LOL! Not really logical but this is among the reasons I cannot get myself to eat meat. Might not make sense but hey! We all got our thing.

I hope they get their production lines cleaned up.... that's bad it got that out of control.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    It's perfectly safe if you cook your meat properly (I think they reccomend the internal temp to be 165*F?). That will kill any bacteria present. :)

And BTW, Vegetarians, I seem to remember a huge bagged spinach recall not too long ago due to salomanilla (or however you spell that...) Just saying...
  • FredDoyle
    Also this ^^

Most of the e-coli recalls are from vegetables. The "organic" ones too.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Buy your beef locally! Unless you're in Alberta. Then don't. :wink:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    E coli is rarely harmful to you. It is, however, tested to determine if there is any faecal matter in the meat produced. That's the main reason why they would recall the meat. No one wants poo in their food.

But again, if you cook it properly, it'll be fine.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member

HIGH FIVE! :D
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Buy your beef locally! Unless you're in Alberta. Then don't. :wink:

There is nothing wrong with Alberta beef. There is something wrong with ONE Alberta beef processing plant. That happens to be huge. Please, continue buying Alberta beef - buy it from farmers or other processing plants.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    lol@ vegans and vegeterians, dont know the difference still but anyways

No ecoli on your spinach?

whats wrong with eating meat or protein shakes.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member

O Rly?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-09-20-spinach-main_N.htm

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm179124.htm

Have fun with that!
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    [There is nothing wrong with Alberta beef. There is something wrong with ONE Alberta beef processing plant. That happens to be huge. Please, continue buying Alberta beef - buy it from farmers or other processing plants.

Amen to that! there is a problem when you see MEGA plants like this in charge of processing this incredible amount of beef it's no wonder it affects so many distributors everyone's basically buying from one source!....unfortunately that is the way the industries are going these days. Buy from local farmers and trusted sources instead.

P.S. Anyone who remembers the enormous pet food recall a few years ago can testify that everything from the lowest (read cheapest brands) to the most expensive "vet only" brands were affected because they all came out of the same one plant! (who says you aren't paying for a name!)
  • Buy your beef locally! Unless you're in Alberta. Then don't. :wink:

There is nothing wrong with Alberta beef. There is something wrong with ONE Alberta beef processing plant. That happens to be huge. Please, continue buying Alberta beef - buy it from farmers or other processing plants.

THIS!
  • REASONS THAT I'M A VEGETARIAN EEEEEEEW!!!!!!!! Even though I'm in Oklahoma. Have fun with that!

It's found because of industrialized meat practices.
  • REASONS THAT I'M A VEGETARIAN EEEEEEEW!!!!!!!! Even though I'm in Oklahoma. Have fun with that!

O Rly?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-09-20-spinach-main_N.htm

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm179124.htm

Have fun with that!

E. Coli was born from industrialized meat practices. Buy local :)
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Meh. I'm not worried. In ALL of Canada there has only been like 13 cases of E.Coli poisoning and not all of them are connected to the beef. In Saskatchewan, province I live in, there has been NO cases of E.Coli poisoning connected to the beef.

I really am not worried. Cook your meat properly and you'll be fine.

And it has indeed spread to the US. They have also said on the radio that they had exported to 20 or 22 other countries before the recall so there's also recalls in many other countries.

ETA: And it is stupid to say "I'm a vegetarian so I don't have to worry about it" blah blah blah. I also remember the spinach recall. However, you can solve the problem by buying local, organic (or just even local) meat products. You're supporting the smaller farmers and you're buying healthier, better meat.