HUGE Canadian Beef Recall

2»

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    REASONS THAT I'M A VEGETARIAN EEEEEEEW!!!!!!!! Even though I'm in Oklahoma. Have fun with that!

There are also recalls on fruits, veggies, cheese... etc. It's not just meat.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,644 Member
    I am a fan of huge beef, regardless of where it comes from....
  • juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    REASONS THAT I'M A VEGETARIAN EEEEEEEW!!!!!!!! Even though I'm in Oklahoma. Have fun with that!

O Rly?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-09-20-spinach-main_N.htm

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm179124.htm

Have fun with that!

E. Coli was born from industrialized meat practices. Buy local :)

Care to provide a source for that piece of information? E. coli has existed for millions and millions of years and makes up a good percentage of our natural gut flora.
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    We used to raise our own meat, but now purchase it from my brother who raises it. Delicious and don't have to worry about hormones, antibiotics, and the like.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    E coli is rarely harmful to you. It is, however, tested to determine if there is any faecal matter in the meat produced. That's the main reason why they would recall the meat. No one wants poo in their food.

But again, if you cook it properly, it'll be fine.

Depends on the variety of E.coli. If it is E. coli O157 it can lead to multiple organ failure requiring dialysis, respiratory failure and rehabilitation if you survive. It is not just found in meat. Also on greens, sprouts etc. Nothing to mess around with.
  • Care to provide a source for that piece of information? E. coli has existed for millions and millions of years and makes up a good percentage of our natural gut flora.
    [/quote]

I know it only makes sense to defend an industry that completely mocks the fabric of animal upbringing, but really? You keep having animals grow up twice as fast as they naturally do, spend their days standing in feces and feed them a grain they're not meant to eat and we're going to see what happens.

"I informed you thusly." - Sheldon BBT
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Yes, because e. coli is NEVER found on fruits and veggies. :huh:

It's found because of industrialized meat practices.

This, exactly. The e. coli ALWAYS comes from the intestines of animals. It ends up on the plants because of waste from the huge farms and plants that provide meat.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    E coli is rarely harmful to you. It is, however, tested to determine if there is any faecal matter in the meat produced. That's the main reason why they would recall the meat. No one wants poo in their food.

But again, if you cook it properly, it'll be fine.

Depends on the variety of E.coli. If it is E. coli O157 it can lead to multiple organ failure requiring dialysis, respiratory failure and rehabilitation if you survive. It is not just found in meat. Also on greens, sprouts etc. Nothing to mess around with.

E. coli O157:H7 infection often causes severe, acute hemorrhagic diarrhea (although nonhemorrhagic diarrhea is also possible) and abdominal cramps. Usually little or no fever is present, and the illness resolves in five to 10 days. It can also be asymptomatic.[citation needed]

Per Wikapedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escherichia_coli_O157:H7 Small quote follows. More info on site.

In some people, particularly children under five years of age and the elderly, the infection can cause hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), in which the red blood cells are destroyed and the kidneys fail. About 2–7% of infections lead to this complication. In the United States, HUS is the principal cause of acute kidney failure in children, and most cases of HUS are caused by E. coli O157:H7.

Took care of several patients that suffered from being sickened from sprouts on a salad bar. Years ago, Jack In The Box hamburger sickened and killed a child with HUS.