What you eat does make a difference

Options
The source of the calories you eat makes a difference.

The type of food you eat makes a difference in how much you weigh, how you feel and your health. There is a movie about genetically modified organisms (GMOs) that is normally a pay-per-view. This week (through Ocotober 17) you can watch it for free at http://geneticroulettemovie.com/

Over the last year I have been eating organic as much as possible, clean eating and shopping at local farmer's markets. I know it has made a GIGANTIC difference in how I feel and my health. Recently, due to traveling, I have been eating out at places that do not serve this sort of food. I have gained weight and gotten lethargic. For a week now, I am back to clean eating and whole foods. My body is thanking me! Watch this movie, it will change the way you eat!

Replies

• Time2Recognize
    Options
    Will certainly check it out this evening!

And yes! Everyone counts the calories, and I admit to it myself! But nutrition is in the nutrients. The energy (calories) that come from the foods we eat needs the nutrients n order to be efficiently used. The nutrients are what matters to the body, because that is what the food is for! Giving the body the building materials to function optimally. Any way, congrats on making this discovery yourself! It's life changing. I'm in college at the moment, so it can be difficult, but my school is big on local and healthy. Weve got a great salad bar and recently recieved funding to improve the rest of our dining service, make it healthier, fresher, everything. Micronutrients are as if not more important than macronutrients in terms of optimal health and function.

Good luck! Be well and stay healthy.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    At the risk of waking up the trolls...the source of the calories you eat makes a difference.

The type of food you eat makes a difference in how much you weigh, how you feel and your health. There is a movie about genetically modified organisms (GMOs) that is normally a pay-per-view. This week (through Ocotober 17) you can watch it for free at http://geneticroulettemovie.com/

Over the last year I have been eating organic as much as possible, clean eating and shopping at local farmer's markets. I know it has made a GIGANTIC difference in how I feel and my health. Recently, due to traveling, I have been eating out at places that do not serve this sort of food. I have gained weight and gotten lethargic. For a week now, I am back to clean eating and whole foods. My body is thanking me! Watch this movie, it will change the way you eat!
    This is a post hoc logical fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    At the risk of waking up the trolls...the source of the calories you eat makes a difference.

So, if people believe that the calorie deficit is what causes weight loss, not the source of the food, then they are trolls? :noway:

Could it be just that you were eating too much? And that's why you gained weight? Or that you were tired from traveling?

Good for you for being concerned about your health, but there are plenty of people here who are having success (weight loss & better health) without eating all-natural, organic, farmer's market food.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Okay.

What you eat makes a difference in overall health & how you feel, DEFINITELY. I don't think anyone's ever argued against that?

However, in terms of JUST weight loss, purely just weight loss, not health improvement, not physical improvement, just becoming THINNER, calories are all that matters.

If a person is eating a crap diet of refined sugars & processed crap, then yes, they'll feel like crap. Yes, they'll be in poor health. Yes, the weight loss will be more difficult because they won't be as satisfied with tiny amounts of processed junk as they'd be with whole foods. But they'd still get the pounds off, at least temporarily.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

n=1, please substantiate your claims with something other then anecdotal evidence
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

n=1, please substantiate your claims with something other then anecdotal evidence

But, but, the test subject is completely random, that should count for something right?
  • kass22185
    kass22185 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree. I agree that eating fresh food is healthier than canned/processed food. But yes, the calorie deficit is what matters for weight loss. I also know that you can be skinney and still unhealthy because of what you put in your body. One of my very best friends died this time last year. She was 27 years old and heart failure followed by a heart transplant. She ate nothing but cheesburgers, pasta, and alcohol. Even after the translpant she continued this lifestyle and it was taken from her. She was alway naturally thin, but I whole heartedly belleve that her lifestyle choices played a major role. Not saying it was 100% the cause.
    Aslo, not everyone can afford to eat organic or has the time to cook fresh made meals. I agree that there is a lot of crap added to our foods these days, but it would be really hard to avoid them completely.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying, though I think you'd get less flack if you had used "I" instead of "you" in most of your sentences.

I too feel better when I eat better. Though for me, exercise plays a much bigger roll in weight loss than diet. I eat a good amount of vegetables though probably not as much fruit as I should. And I prefer whole grains to white/processed and I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

But I don't eat "clean" all the time. I used canned stuff and only buy organic if it's reasonably priced. Also, I'm just lazy sometimes and don't want to drive across town to the healthy food mart because they are the only store that carries <insert healthy item here> or I want a bean burrito but don't want to wait 3 hours for the beans to cook so I use canned.

Eating cleaner than I do now really couldn't improve my health, since I am completely healthy now. I've found a balance of food and exercise that keeps me healthy and fit without a huge amount of stress. Stress is bad.
  • Time2Recognize
    Options
    Ok, listen, the source of your nutrition DOES matter, both in regards to health and weightloss! While it's true that you can eat low cal processed refined foods and loose weight, what about the quality of your overall health and life? Does that not matter? Being thin and sick, or on the road to sickness is essentially the same thing as being fat and on the road to sickness. Sick either way. Forget the damn vanity and you're left with the reality of health here.

What we eat matters, this is true. How many calories we eat matters to weight loss, true. But, People love to boil down things and loose the overall picture here. If you're eating a sufficient amount of calories for weight loss, however those calories are comming from nutritionally dull foods, you will not be as successful in your health and physical appearance as if you were eating that same amount of calories from nutrient dense foods. Does this not make sense? I can't be sure to explain it best over text but this is what I've got for now.

I have trouble understanding why people don't get that what we eat matters. What gets put into your body gets broken down into its individual molecular aspects and dispersed through out the body to be used in the processes which enable us to function as organisms. Nervouse system, respitory system, endocrine and other hormonal systems...all of it, they all require nutrients. The energy they use to do all this comes from calories, yes. But separating the two is like taking the H2 out of H2O and all you need for water is O. That's a load of air.

Not intending to sound mean here( I apologize if I do), but read up on nutrition guys. Do some research on your own. Hey, try a diet of nutrient rich foods and see what it does for you.. I can't tell you what will prove it to you, but you have to find that on your own. The market is misleading, claiming calories this, calories that. No one mentions magnesium, selenium, iron, potassium, B complex, Thiamin, riboflavin, amino acids or anything! Unless of course, it can be sold as a pill.

Isn't part of loosing weight, or wanting to, a mission to not only look good for vanities sake but to feel good? To be healthy? To live well? To not be sick, feel sick, look sick, have a future of illness or complications?

Anyway I'm not saying we should all be perfect, no one is, I'm not, it's difficult to do in this modern world or any probably. But we should at least acknowledge some of these realities instead of going about it blindly or unaware, no? of course, we all eat stuff from a can now and then, or microwave something for dinner, but to at least know what nutrition is really about is a first step I think to understanding the human body and the strange things that happen to it in life. Not everyone's going to care about their health, or care enough to do whatever it takes, or have the ability or resources to do so. But if no one really knows or pays attention, no one will really try I guess.

Anyway, wish everyone good Heath and happy days

Sme good books:
    Deep Nutrition
    Nutritional and Physical Degeneration (I've only flipped through this and it's a hefty book actually, but insanely interesting)
    Pottengers Prophecy

Just the ones on my shelf at the moment.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do agree with manufacturers only focusing on a few things, mainly calories,macros and sodium.

I'm often amazed that very few dairy products seem to boast how much calcium is in them, and my iron always shows low due to most meat labels not listing it.( or the entries here)
  • djhenson66
    Options
    I do believe that we all need to eat more healthy. I am attending a'weigh2change' 12 week course. Its not a diet as such, more a lifestyle change, an eye opener. I am using mfp to keep account of my food intake and exercise. I find it so easy to use on my mobile.
    After all I think we can all see that you are what you eat. I am already feeling better in myself and have noticed that I have more energy this week.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    thermic effect. So, yes.

100 calories of protein, 100 carbs, and 100 fat all end up being different amounts of energy when burned by the body.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ok, listen, the source of your nutrition DOES matter, both in regards to health and weightloss! While it's true that you can eat low cal processed refined foods and loose weight, what about the quality of your overall health and life? Does that not matter? Being thin and sick, or on the road to sickness is essentially the same thing as being fat and on the road to sickness. Sick either way. Forget the damn vanity and you're left with the reality of health here.

What we eat matters, this is true. How many calories we eat matters to weight loss, true. But, People love to boil down things and loose the overall picture here. If you're eating a sufficient amount of calories for weight loss, however those calories are comming from nutritionally dull foods, you will not be as successful in your health and physical appearance as if you were eating that same amount of calories from nutrient dense foods. Does this not make sense? I can't be sure to explain it best over text but this is what I've got for now.

I have trouble understanding why people don't get that what we eat matters. What gets put into your body gets broken down into its individual molecular aspects and dispersed through out the body to be used in the processes which enable us to function as organisms. Nervouse system, respitory system, endocrine and other hormonal systems...all of it, they all require nutrients. The energy they use to do all this comes from calories, yes. But separating the two is like taking the H2 out of H2O and all you need for water is O. That's a load of air.

Not intending to sound mean here( I apologize if I do), but read up on nutrition guys. Do some research on your own. Hey, try a diet of nutrient rich foods and see what it does for you.. I can't tell you what will prove it to you, but you have to find that on your own. The market is misleading, claiming calories this, calories that. No one mentions magnesium, selenium, iron, potassium, B complex, Thiamin, riboflavin, amino acids or anything! Unless of course, it can be sold as a pill.

Isn't part of loosing weight, or wanting to, a mission to not only look good for vanities sake but to feel good? To be healthy? To live well? To not be sick, feel sick, look sick, have a future of illness or complications?

Anyway I'm not saying we should all be perfect, no one is, I'm not, it's difficult to do in this modern world or any probably. But we should at least acknowledge some of these realities instead of going about it blindly or unaware, no? of course, we all eat stuff from a can now and then, or microwave something for dinner, but to at least know what nutrition is really about is a first step I think to understanding the human body and the strange things that happen to it in life. Not everyone's going to care about their health, or care enough to do whatever it takes, or have the ability or resources to do so. But if no one really knows or pays attention, no one will really try I guess.

Sme good books:
    Deep Nutrition
    Nutritional and Physical Degeneration (I've only flipped through this and it's a hefty book actually, but insanely interesting)
    Pottengers Prophecy

Seriously? You're telling people they need to "read up on nutrition" and you don't know how to spell the word "lose"? :yawn:
  • Time2Recognize
    Options

Sme good books:
    Deep Nutrition
    Pottengers Prophecy

Seriously? You're telling people they need to "read up on nutrition" and you don't know how to spell the word "lose"? :yawn:
    Oh well pardon me for having a piece of technology that is constantly rearranging my words because "autocorrect" apparently can't spell either. You can either read it for the point, or read it to be an *kitten* wad and dismiss it that way. I don't have time to proof read and go back to correct a missing comma or the letter O on a Internet post, pardon me for having a life off the Internet! get over yourself. Seriously, wasn't trying to start an argument. Was just sharing what I know.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    And here come the trolls that the OP was talking about. The same crowd that will constantly defend the "As long as you are in a defecit", "Doesn't matter as long as you hit your macros", and "Everything in moderation" to the death.

If anyone wants to post about how eating better quality food seems to have an impact on their health, better of sticking to dedicated groups, or leaving MFP all together.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    There is no question that there can be healthier diets, but the way the OP formulated their post was a logical fallacy and a sample size of one.
    They may as well have claimed that they gained weight because they drove a red car instead of a gold one...
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    And here come the trolls that the OP was talking about. The same crowd that will constantly defend the "As long as you are in a defecit", "Doesn't matter as long as you hit your macros", and "Everything in moderation" to the death.

If anyone wants to post about how eating better quality food seems to have an impact on their health, better of sticking to dedicated groups, or leaving MFP all together.

I don't see any trolls on this post. I just happen to notice the EXTREMELY common mispelling of that word and it drives me nuts! Haha...No big deal.

As for my views on being an advocate for healthy eating...I spend my life teaching people about healthy eating and helping sick people improve their health through healthy eating. I have been a master level Registered Dietitian board certified in sports nutriton, and a Certified Diabetes Educator for 18 yrs. working in hospitals and running my own Diabetes self-management education clinic. I am a huge advocate for a whole foods diet! What we eat does matter!!
  • Time2Recognize
    Options

I don't see any trolls on this post. I just happen to notice the EXTREMELY common mispelling of that word and it drives me nuts! Haha...No big deal.

As for my views on being an advocate for healthy eating...I spend my life teaching people about healthy eating and helping sick people improve their health through healthy eating. I have been a master level Registered Dietitian board certified in sports nutriton, and a Certified Diabetes Educator for 18 yrs. working in hospitals and running my own Diabetes self-management education clinic. I am a huge advocate for a whole foods diet! What we eat does matter!!

Then my bad, I thought my typo was being taken as a reason to dismiss my whole post! And plus, on my period and easily excited! Sorry for my reaction. Since you know about nutrition, any ideas on what to do for chelitis? Have had trouble getting rid of it, though coffee with sugar probably doesn't help.

-scratch that- I should probably make a separate post.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    So people who don't agree with your opinion are trolls? Nice attitude.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Seriously who died and made you all high and mighty? Just because someone doesn't agree with what you say and really doesn't care..... That doesn't make them a troll! Get off your high horse and stop posting, your making a fool of yourself!
This discussion has been closed.