Heel Pain

Options
Three days ago I woke up with horrible pain in my left heel. As the day goes on it eases, but is always there. I took the day off from exercise yesterday. This morning the pain was absolutely terrible!

This came on very suddenly. Has anyone else dealt with this? And what can I do to help with the pain?

Thanks!

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm not medically qualified in any way, but it *could* be plantar fasciatis. Sounds very similar to the symptoms that I suffered from as a result of the wrong kind of training shoes. Best to consult a medical bod of some sort, but you could google it in the meantime, there are some stretches that can help.

Ultimately what cured it for me was a combination of 'proper' (appropriate, fitted at a running shop) trainers, and time.
  • lmores
    lmores Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not medically qualified in any way, but it *could* be plantar fasciatis. Sounds very similar to the symptoms that I suffered from as a result of the wrong kind of training shoes. Best to consult a medical bod of some sort, but you could google it in the meantime, there are some stretches that can help.

Ultimately what cured it for me was a combination of 'proper' (appropriate, fitted at a running shop) trainers, and time.

I am also NOT a doctor but I was going to post the exact same thing. Also I got custom orthotics that helped but I first had heel pain in May and I am still not back to actually running.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    sounds a lot like plantar fasiatis... or a bone spur .... I have both... and it came on really suddenly with me a year ago as well... it feels like the back of the heel is coming apart from the bone and the pain underneath unbearable... especially upon waking and walking became excruitiating... an xray and ultrasound will confirm it immediately !!! good luck
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    First year nurse, obviously no doctor either lol: Could be plantar fasciatis. Try stretching, heat/ice. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , such as aspirin and Ibuprofen for pain. If it persists you may need a corticosteroid. Other than that it may be a good idea to go to the doc and see what he has to say. Best of luck to ya!
  • spippin73
    Options
    Oh yes mam!!! Planters. Doctors will tell you stretch and wear non-flexible shoes - no sandals. Right. I had it for months, very painful to the point of tears at times. Believe it or not, I took a trip to Universal Studios. Didn't know how I was going to do all the walking. But something happened on the trip. I think I snapped the ligament or tendon and it went away as quickly as it came. Doctors can perform surgery (just heard that some pro football player was scheduled for the surgery, but then his snapped on it's own during practice). I think that is what happened to mine. Good luck. I know how painful it can be!!!
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with courtney... I did end up having a steroid injection and there was some pain relief as I cannot tolerate aspirin due to an allergy... but a podiatrist also suggested laser therapy as well and has had good results with that... but it is very expensive.. time sometimes heals it slightly... I still have pain over a year later but it is not nearly as bad as it used to be

good luck
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have had plantar fachiitis and it is painful and take a long time to heal. My doc told me to stretch the affected area and warned that it would take time. It feels like stepping on a stone over and over again.
  • kelp99
    kelp99 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree this does sound like a bone spur. Definitely go see your doctor. I kept putting it off when I only had symptoms in one foot, and as a result developed it in the other because of how I adjusted my walking. So now I have heel spurs and plantar fasciitus in both my feet. I've had the cortisone shots and paid for the $400 dollar Orthotics and tried different types of shoes. What finally worked for me are the walkfit orthotics and taking Aleve.

I don't know where you are from so I don't know if you have access to one, but Walmart has a machine you can stand on that will help you pick out a pair of orthotics (if you need them) and they are only about $50 or so.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciitis, and it sounds alot like what you are describing. I finally went to an ortho, who prescribed custom orthotics. After wearing them for a week, the pain went away! Now I only have pain if I don't wear my orthotic one day or walk around barefoot all day.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    So....are you reletively pain-free while sleeping, then you get out of bed, stand up, and experience ecruciating pain? Does your foot feel fine while at rest, then major pain when you put weight on it, but the pain actually gets better as you walk around? Then you have plantar fascitis.

I just got orthotics for heel spurs/plantar fascitis. Wonderful relief! If you cannot aford to see a podiatrist to get orthotics, Dr. Scholl's has some great ones that you can get at your local pharmacy. Your arch needs support. Google "wrap techniques for planatr fascitis". This wrap will help support your arch. As well, take some OTC anti-inflamatories, and if they aren;t enough, see your doctor for prescription strength anti-inflamatories.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    My husband is an avid runner and had the same problem; turned out it was plantar fasciitis with a bone spur. His ortho doc gave him some 40.00 orthotics (Redi-Thotics) and ordered him to rest it until pain subsided (in his case several weeks), then resume running gradually with the orthotics, and that worked out well for him. That was in April but he's been able to train as scheduled for the half-marathon next month. On his own (the doc didn't tell him to), he also chooses to wear a plantar brace (pic url below) when he's lounging because it feels good.

Agree with others here that urge you to see a doctor; husband was trying to run through it because he has the Crazy Runner Gene but was making it considerably worse. Your down time will probably be shorter if you address it quickly without waiting.

http://www.assistireland.ie/uploadedfiles/Product_Images/Orthoses/Lower_Limb/Plantar_FXT_Night_Brace_(HCA)_9223.jpg
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but it sounds like it could be cause by chewing gum, drinking diet soda, and posting revealing pictures
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. I did go see two doctors... first of which said it was a heel spur and the second (more than a year later) said plantar fasciitis. She gave me exercises to do and told me that I can wear the night brace and they were going to order custom orthotics for my shoes... but I wear high heel shoes almost every day to work... I really wasn't into trying to fit an orthotic into my dress shoes. So she gave me options -- work it out with the exercises or we can go to surgery if that doesn't work.

I was extremely lazy with the exercises on my foot.... and then I started eating ground flaxseed and chia seed on a regular basis (daily)... 1 ounce of ground flaxseed and 1/2 ounce (12 grams actually) of chia seeds... after a couple weeks of that, my pain is gone unless I miss 2 days in a row... I have been telling everyone I know. This worked miracles for me!

Yes, I can still feel it if I walk around in flip-flops all day long... but other than that, no pain whatsoever in my foot!

See a doctor!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I was extremely lazy with the exercises on my foot.... and then I started eating ground flaxseed and chia seed on a regular basis (daily)... 1 ounce of ground flaxseed and 1/2 ounce (12 grams actually) of chia seeds... after a couple weeks of that, my pain is gone unless I miss 2 days in a row... I have been telling everyone I know. This worked miracles for me!

I have osteoarthritis in my shoulder, back, hip knee, and feet, and I noticed a real difference when my chiro told me to up my omega-3 intake to 'theraputic levels' to help with the chronic inflammation. I doubled my red krill to 1g daily and noticed a difference, and am waiting on some chia now in the hopes of adding more omegas to my diet less expensively (those supplements are $$$). Thanks for sharing your experience! Chia is sold out everywhere I look so it's been hard to get ahold of--it must be working well for lots of people.
  • MyCornerOnline
    MyCornerOnline Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. Again as others, I'm not in medical field.

I've suffered from heel spurs for a long time now. I used to get shots in my heels regularly ( would have to have it twice, two weeks apart, to be effective, but it would wear off), but now I've learned to just deal with the pain. It's not bad enough for surgery, so these are my choices.

It helps to understand what is going on. The muscle along the bottom of your foot is wrapped around the spur. It is not the spur sticking down that hurts, but rather that your muscle is stretching further than it should. It is like any other muscle that when you overuse it or overstretch it, it will get sore and contract. What happens is when you sleep, the muscle contracts, relaxes, gets shorter. So when you stand first thing in the morning, it stretches back out. The pain you feel is your muscle being stretched out beyond the norm.

So when they refer to stretching in the above posts, what they mean is to stretch out that muscle along the bottom of your foot by pulling your toes back toward your shin. If you do this before you stand up in the morning, it helps.

As you walk throughout the day, your muscle stretches back out and that is why it is hurting less. However, because of the spur, it is stretching further than it would normally.

Yes, correct shoes and/or inserts help too.

For me, I limit myself to no more than 2 hours a day on my feet (my personal limit). If I do more than that, I cannot walk well the next day. When I exercise, it is no impact.

Of course, having a family that understands and a hubby that likes to rub my feet also helps.

I hope this info is of help to you.
  • NewMeAT33
    Options
    Dont let this go on too long and dont push it.
    Stretch. Ice. Advil.

Trust me.
    I didnt treat it and I was out of commission for MONTHS. A friend is now having surgery. YIKES>
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Thanks guys! I did Google a bit and thought it sounded like plantar fasciitis...but I was hoping not. So strange - just came out of nowhere!

I'll make sure to wear good shoes when I exercise and ice afterwards...hopefully this will go away in time. I'll Google more about it too.
  • OliveCarsey
    Options
    Oddly enough I have had the same problem since Saturday- today I am actually able to walk mostly normal- up until yesterday i had to use crutches it was that bad. Keep it up as much as you can, ice, and anti inflamitory- also make sure all your shoes have good arch support, thats what i did wrong- spent to much time in my heels one week. I hope you feel better soon- this really sucks.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Well it was pretty painful during my exercise last night. I iced afterwards for 20 minutes. Hurting quite a lot now!! Dang, this sucks. I'm hoping the pain will ease over time like my shin splints and achilles tendon pain. Exercise injuries are no fun!!
  • MyCornerOnline
    MyCornerOnline Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry it's not better, but we can relate.

There have been many times I've had to use the wall to help myself get down the hallway to the bathroom first thing in the morning.