Need Advice Nutrition

Options
My diary is set to public and swear it is honestly filled out. Here is what I do now: I wake up, work out and drink lots of water. Come home and make breakfast. I scan everything. Then I prelog everything I plan to eat that day on Mon thru Fri (work). Weekends are different but same results.

A coworker mentioned I am not taking enough calories. I am starting to think she is right. Can you all check out my diary. I am moving in more of a protein direction because it fills you up and limiting my carbs. I have noticed lack of energy this week and am wondering if this is partly the problem.

One more thing... please do not rag on me for the Coke. It is a vice that I plan to kick but my personal life has to settle down. I rarely drink and don't smoke. I know it is bad.... just kinda give me a pass on that for now please. :)

Or am I actually doing really well?

Replies

• gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason you want to limit your carbs?

When did you start?

What results have you seen?

If your energy is very low consistently, then eating more could help. I would eat more fruits and veggies.

Also, I'm cool with you drinking Coke--I adore the stuff myself, though I haven't had one in...a long time, I don't even remember when. BUT, Coke is really nothing but carbs, which you apparently don't want.
  • Killsocket
    Killsocket Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My goal is 40% carbs 30% protein and fats.

I started like 3 weeks ago and down 9 but I am hoping to do a "kill two birds..." by adding muscle while losing weight. Thus the protein. (I will view exercise forum for more on that) but my big immediate concern is energy level.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5"2' 42yr old woman that is quite small now and I eat 1500-1900 per day. I only walk and don't lift weights yet so yes I think for sure you should eat more! Most of the guys on here that have very nice muscles from lifting eat tons.
  • valeriejean1407
    Options
    I recently read some good articles online about losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously. You might want to check out some info on all that first because from what I understand, it's very difficult to do that at the same time... especially if you are low on your daily calories. You might want to check out some of these links for some advice. Hope this helps :)

http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-lose-fat-and-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time.aspx
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    My goal is 40% carbs 30% protein and fats.

I started like 3 weeks ago and down 9 but I am hoping to do a "kill two birds..." by adding muscle while losing weight. Thus the protein. (I will view exercise forum for more on that) but my big immediate concern is energy level.
    1600 isn't terrible, but you have to listen to your body. If I were you, I'd up my calories with veggies (well, fruit--I eat more fruit than veggies), maybe cut back on the bacon a bit.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Try tracking your sodium.
    I'd up the calories if you don't have enough energy. Just try at a smaller deficit.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Cant kill 2 birds with one stone its impossible.....You choose one, weight loss or muscle growth cant have your cake and eat it to.

1600 calories? are you a 12 year old girl? You want to add muscle and lose weight but your going to way under eat and lose muscle because of it
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    DEF not enough food, IMO. That wouldn't be enough to sustain me WITHOUT working out! I would suggest starting to track your strength training under cardio- search "strength training" and record the time to get a rough estimate of your calorie needs from doing those workouts, and then eat back at least half of your workout calories (including the strength training cals). You will see results in the gym, and your weight will come off predictably, and most of all- you will feel great. This low of calories for a man is not sustainable. The minimum recommendation for men (comparable to 1200 cals for women) is 1800 calories.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am low carb as well and find that after the inital getting used to it, I have MORE energy because of the higher dietary fats and proteins.

Your foods look good ( well yeah, the coke - lol!) Fairly real, foods not so much boxed canned or processed.

It will be tough to add muscle and lose fat BUT that doesn't mean you can't strengthen what you've got as you lose the fat!

So keep it up, be as accurate as possible when you weigh foods, and record exercise calories etc. and you will get there!

Best of Luck!!
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Question for ya: Why are you choosing to eat so much lower than what MFP is telling you should eat? Seems like you're leaving an awful lot of calories on the table (so to speak)...

Are your goals different from what you told MFP they are?
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    Hey! I looked at your diary and it really seems like you are not eating nearly enough. I eat way more than you are and I'm a 5'8 150 pound woman! Have you found the calculators that tell you your BMR and all that? You should calculate that before cutting down so much on cals. When I started I thought I had to go to the 1200 cal diet and thought I was going to DIE. Now I'm eating around 2000 per day and still losing inches. :D Slowly, but still losing inches and gaining muscle.
  • Killsocket
    Options
    Question for ya: Why are you choosing to eat so much lower than what MFP is telling you should eat? Seems like you're leaving an awful lot of calories on the table (so to speak)...

Good question. I was a dummy and thought "I'll show MFP" and eat considerably less to "beat" the calories. However, I am not hungry between my small meals and am very comfortable (hunger wise) aside from energy. My competitiveness got the best of me I guess.

It sounds like it either is impossible or not wise to try to add muscle AND lose weight. I am more interested in dropping fat weight off my body then. Would 40 carbs 30 protein 30 fat be on the right track (generically speaking)?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Good question. I was a dummy and thought "I'll show MFP" and eat considerably less to "beat" the calories. However, I am not hungry between my small meals and am very comfortable (hunger wise) aside from energy. My competitiveness got the best of me I guess.

It sounds like it either is impossible or not wise to try to add muscle AND lose weight. I am more interested in dropping fat weight off my body then. Would 40 carbs 30 protein 30 fat be on the right track (generically speaking)?

Hunger isn't always a predictor of caloric needs- consider very obese individuals that eat well over their caloric needs- they still get hungry between meals. And you're an example of the other end- where you don't get hungry when you should. Generally, we get hungry on a schedule based on when we usually eat. For example, if you were to eat a big breakfast, often you'll still get hungry at your normal lunch time, even though based on calories you should be full until dinner- it's largely a trained response.

40/30/30 is a good place to start- and you can adjust as necessary to suit your needs and preferences. No one macro division works best for everyone. I did 40/30/30 for a while, and recently decided more fat is more satiating for me, so I've changed it to be about equal across the board. To each their own.
  • Killsocket
    Options

Hunger isn't always a predictor of caloric needs- consider very obese individuals that eat well over their caloric needs- they still get hungry between meals. And you're an example of the other end- where you don't get hungry when you should. Generally, we get hungry on a schedule based on when we usually eat. For example, if you were to eat a big breakfast, often you'll still get hungry at your normal lunch time, even though based on calories you should be full until dinner- it's largely a trained response.

40/30/30 is a good place to start- and you can adjust as necessary to suit your needs and preferences. No one macro division works best for everyone. I did 40/30/30 for a while, and recently decided more fat is more satiating for me, so I've changed it to be about equal across the board. To each their own.

The 40/30/30 thing is where I would like to start. I can adjust. I just want to be sure I am not in left field.
    I know people are helping and getting lots of responses, but is it a matter of just eating MORE of my diet (I want to add in more fruits and veggies and plan too, that was a glaring hole).
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I agree with MoreBean. 40/30/30 is a great place to start.

However, since you're still new to this whole thing, I would recommend that you just work on eating your calories. You may find that your energy level goes way up with the simple increase in fuel. My guess is that you're tired because you're not feeding yourself enough.

Again, MoreBean is absolutely right - hunger is not the best indicator of a need to eat. But a lack of energy is a generally sound indicator of same.

I think you should just try to eat as much as MFP tells you to, and once you're there, and you see how that feels, then you can start to monkey around with the macros. You'll have a much better baseline to work from.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on taking the first steps toward a new lifestyle. That takes guts!!
  • jdennisj
    Options
    I have worked with a dietician who suggested the I eat 55% carbs, 15% protein and 30% fat. A few years ago, those proportions worked great and I loss weight without problem. I am not suggesting unhealthy carbs - I eat lots of vegetables and fruit. I try to limit my meats or poultry while keeping my cholesterol intake to under 200 mg. May not not for everyone, but it does for me.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Ok...I only looked at today...you could do with leaner proteins than ham and bacon. Bacon is a treat for me. I eat 2 whole eggs and egg whites with a slice of cheese for my breakfast protein. And I won't yell at you for the Coke, but if you want results you would def be better off replacing 240 empty cals with 240 cals of protein. I'm 5'7", 136lbs and eating more protein than you.

the reason why you have no energy is because you're not eating any carbs. What good is exercising and healthy eating if you have no energy. Throw some healthy, slow acting carbs in the mix rather than sugar from Coke (sorry..had to lol) I eat a banana almost every day and a Thomas' whole grain English muffin with my late breakfast so that I don't crash in the afternoon. And then there's some carbs in my Shakeology, too. Add me if you wanna lookk at my diary for ideas :)
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Cant kill 2 birds with one stone its impossible.....You choose one, weight loss or muscle growth cant have your cake and eat it to.

1600 calories? are you a 12 year old girl? You want to add muscle and lose weight but your going to way under eat and lose muscle because of it
    I beg to to differ on this. You CAN loose weight and add muscle at the same, but you need to work smart (not harder) at the gym. Cardio isn't the way to do it - - but also don't go too crazy on big weights. I had the best personal trainer who has helped me loose over 50 lbs as well as increasing the amount of weights I can lift.

I didn't look at your diary (yet), but I found that I got tired when I didn't eat at the right time, and also if I didn't have enough healthy fats in my diet. Make sure you eat some soft protien right after working out (ie: eggs, yogurt, protien shake) as well as making sure you have healthy fats in your diet (ie: avocados, nuts).
  • Killsocket
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their input. It's overwhelmingly positive that the answer is eat more. My coworker was right confirmed by you all.
    I guess I was too competitive and instead of struggling to stay under, I need to work to get to my calorie goal.

Here goes day 1 on that.